- Joined
- Apr 21, 2008
- Messages
- 200
Rep Bank
$280
$280
User Power: 8%
Question: What is the fastest way to find a job? Any job. Something.
For those who didn’t see my previous topic, my brother lost his job last year and subsequently, his condo to a foreclosure. Despite my lack of faith in humanity, charity, and his generally lazy attitude, I still strongly desire to see the good in people. As someone mentioned in the other topic, his only real other alternative would have been a homeless shelter in the city, which would certainly not have been an environment that would redirect his life in a positive direction. Given no better alternative, I decided to let him stay with me.
It’s been nearly a month now and he has quite surprised me. While he hasn’t found a job yet, he has willingly contributed greatly to the maintenance of the house. Also, having some company around for a change has significantly improved the atmosphere of the place, since I live alone most of the time.
After setting up a budget for him, we determined that if he can find a job that pays at least $8 per hour and offers at least 25 hours per week, he will be able to pay off his remaining debts within months. Since most jobs entail that, I figure it shouldn’t be too hard to find something like that.
At this point, we’re not thinking long-term. I feel that his first priority should be to get out of debt as quickly as possible. That means finding a job, any job. While he does have some certification in networking, I thought that finding a job in that field would take significantly longer than a local retail job.
It’s been almost a month now and we haven’t heard anything. We’re following up on his applications, although a lot of places simply aren’t hiring. We’ve tried job placement agencies and newspaper ads to no avail as well.
Being an entrepreneur, I’m not an expert in job hunting. Are there other options that I’m not aware of? Or is it simply a matter of time and persistence? I thought a simple retail job would get him a job a lot quicker, but at this rate, it seems like he might as well hold out for a higher paying job with his education.
What do you think?
Thanks for helping my brother out.
For those who didn’t see my previous topic, my brother lost his job last year and subsequently, his condo to a foreclosure. Despite my lack of faith in humanity, charity, and his generally lazy attitude, I still strongly desire to see the good in people. As someone mentioned in the other topic, his only real other alternative would have been a homeless shelter in the city, which would certainly not have been an environment that would redirect his life in a positive direction. Given no better alternative, I decided to let him stay with me.
It’s been nearly a month now and he has quite surprised me. While he hasn’t found a job yet, he has willingly contributed greatly to the maintenance of the house. Also, having some company around for a change has significantly improved the atmosphere of the place, since I live alone most of the time.
After setting up a budget for him, we determined that if he can find a job that pays at least $8 per hour and offers at least 25 hours per week, he will be able to pay off his remaining debts within months. Since most jobs entail that, I figure it shouldn’t be too hard to find something like that.
At this point, we’re not thinking long-term. I feel that his first priority should be to get out of debt as quickly as possible. That means finding a job, any job. While he does have some certification in networking, I thought that finding a job in that field would take significantly longer than a local retail job.
It’s been almost a month now and we haven’t heard anything. We’re following up on his applications, although a lot of places simply aren’t hiring. We’ve tried job placement agencies and newspaper ads to no avail as well.
Being an entrepreneur, I’m not an expert in job hunting. Are there other options that I’m not aware of? Or is it simply a matter of time and persistence? I thought a simple retail job would get him a job a lot quicker, but at this rate, it seems like he might as well hold out for a higher paying job with his education.
What do you think?
Thanks for helping my brother out.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
