The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Failing Forward

TopProducer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 15, 2017
New York
Hey everyone. My name is Ben. I'm a 32 year old husband and father to four children ages five, three, two, and one. I am a real estate agent in Upstate New York and aspiring entrepreneur and investor.

My life can only be described as failing forward. Bright, but uninspired high school student, on the verge of dropping out find music in his junior year and decides to go to Music School. While in college I maintain a GPA high enough to be on the president's list or the Dean's List. Then, only a month before I audition for a position at a 4-year School, my mom dies. I go to the audition, but the school does not accept me. I plan to audition again, but bilateral carpal tunnel derails me. So, I change majors. After I graduate, I bounced around between a number of dead-end jobs because the economy in my area has been in decline for decades. At one point, my then-girlfriend now wife had to buy me a $3 pair dress socks for a job interview because I didn't have the money. It was during this time I decided to go back to school for a master's degree.

When I was 26 or 27, I was working toward my master's degree in education, when halfway through my student teaching, my wife started to have complications with her pregnancy and she was forced to limit the amount she could work, so I dropped the program to get a job to support the family. I had a fair amount of success working in automotive service and sales, but the long hours definitely left me discontented and that's when I found Pat Flynn's SPI and MJ's interview as well as many others.

At that point I became inspired, and I put many good ideas down to paper but never executed them. I conceived of a number of apps as well as SaaS programs, but I kept telling myself that I was too busy to pursue them, or we didn't have the money to invest. And as luck would have it, apparently ideas don't exist only in the vacuum of my own mind, and I saw a number of ideas I had be executed by someone else. This left me frustrated and angry, but ultimately I had no one to blame but myself.

I decided to get my real estate license because I understand the importance that real estate can play in terms of building wealth. Additionally, This would at least give me a starting point in becoming an entrepreneur. But the process took longer than it should have. I was complacent and I didn't realize it. A few short months after getting my license, I realized I had become comfortable in my position with the long hours, but it wasn't getting me anywhere. In fact, my income had decreased 20% from the year prior. Once I realized what I was sacrificing for a dead-end job that was paying 20% less I knew it was time to quit.

So, now I'm here. I'm ready to crush it. Ready to learn and be accountable. Ready to build a legacy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Don't worry about your ideas being executed by others. The best Fastlane products (McDonald's, Microsoft, Quickbooks, etc) weren't really original in the strict sense...just executed a lot better and in a newer way. And that's what you need to do. I'm sure your ideas are still viable in one form or another.

Read TMF . It will not only clear things up, but it will also give you a butt-kicking epiphany :)

Don't get out of your job yet....until your Fastlane business kicks in with sufficient cashflow. I myself have to stay in my Slowlane studies, or else my funding's cut, for the time being! :(

TopProducer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 15, 2017
New York
How many cold calls do you make per day? Great! Make 10 times more. Any excuse to what I'm telling you is the lies you sell yourself on a daily basis. Good luck

Sounds like Grant Cardone.

I actually do zero cold calling. I go door to door instead. It may take a little bit longer, but I'll be healthier for it and I know no one else and I know no one else in this area is doing that.
Don't worry about your ideas being executed by others. The best Fastlane products (McDonald's, Microsoft, Quickbooks, etc) weren't really original in the strict sense...just executed a lot better and in a newer way. And that's what you need to do. I'm sure your ideas are still viable in one form or another.

Read TMF . It will not only clear things up, but it will also give you a butt-kicking epiphany :)

Don't get out of your job yet....until your Fastlane business kicks in with sufficient cashflow. I myself have to stay in my Slowlane studies, or else my funding's cut, for the time being! :(

Fortunately, I aleady have read the millionaire Fastlane .

Unfortunately, I quit my job 3 months ago.

:rofl:

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Welcome to the forum.

So, you have your real estate license. Great. You mentioned you thought of app ideas and SaaS products. I'm in the process of buying a house right now and you know what? MLS is the most outdated piece of ever.

My realtor would send me listings via MLS and man, I felt like I was using dial up in 1998 to look at these things.

Real estate is a HUGE and limitless market. Want an idea? Disrupt the MLS system. It's old, it's complacent. Sure we have things like Zillow, Realtor.com, Trulia, but at the end of the day, they all rely on MLS.

Having sold houses, what moments did you have that you've said, "there's got to be a better way to do this?"

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I decided to get my real estate license

IMO, its a great career to have while pursuing other Fastlane ventures.

Thanks for the great intro and welcome to the forum. And thank you for giving my book a read. :smile2:

applesack

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jan 11, 2017
Albuquerque
I actually do zero cold calling. I go door to door instead. It may take a little bit longer, but I'll be healthier for it and I know no one else and I know no one else in this area is doing that.

Dude! Door to door is the ultimate cold calling! You are crushing it! (that was three !'s in short succession, I am proud of you, son.)

Build Social Proof Choose some place to have your social proof (zillow or similar) and ask all of your clients or even those that you talk real-estate with to give you a review if they like. Most (like 70%) will actually give you a review. This is "soft" fast-lane (not automated sales, but the reviews will speak about you forever).

Get email addys Tell everyone you talk to that you are developing a real-estate disrupt app and ask them if you can email them when you get your first working version. Get that email! Email is still the most powerful contact method if used well (read all the "value" in content stuff in this forum). Ask them what their favorite event in the year is / why, put that date with the email address, and use some reminder app to trigger a reminder email for them. They will remember (a) that you asked, and (b) that you remembered. You will suddenly be seen as a "kindof close friend".

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
Welcome to the forum. Door to door selling is hardcore entrepreneur training. Stick around you'll find a lot of ideas here for sure.

Amon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Jun 29, 2016
Cleveland, OH
This might be silly since the closest thing I've done to real estate is about 20 hours of roller coaster tycoon (it's a computer game for any old timers), but in regards to MLS, isn't the main pain point the exclusivity to member brokers/price fixing that comes from it?

Is there a way to improve upon that?

TopProducer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 15, 2017
New York
I've never really had any issues with the MLS itself. There are number of different companies out there that service different realtor boards, so maybe I just have a good one.

The one thing that I have an issue with is that there are a lot of exorbitant fees that go into maintaining your license, but a lot of that is also stuff that's required by the state, so I don't see much that can be done there.

I'm working with another broker from my area to develop an app that fills a vacancy in a rather important area of real estate, which I reference in another thread. He's been in the business for 30 years and knows a lot of major players in the area, so I thinking of making him an Equity partner if he can help me get it off the ground.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...