The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Extreme Ways of Obtaining Accountability.. Any Ideas?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Brilliant. Did you do something like this in your mastermind group @wade1mil?

We set monetary punishments of $50 for not hitting weekly goals.
That isn't much for some people, so the amount has to be something that scares you.
You shouldn't think, "Man, I hope I don't lose this money."
You should think, "Oh shit, I can't believe I just wrote a check for X. What was I thinking? What do I have to do right now to get this done so the check isn't cashed."

I had a goal I really wanted to accomplish a few weeks ago.
Something that I have feared my entire life and haven't made any progress on.
My plan was to write someone a check for 55% of my net worth, which is more than $50.
I decided instead to just do it without writing the check, and I never ended up doing it.
I should have wrote the check.

I got the other ideas from a TV show called "Nathan For You" which I don't really recommend unless you like very awkward comedy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I have the same problem as you and I think I'm going to use your money idea and take all the money out of my bank account, give it to my mom and if I don't get finished what I need to she keeps it.

Awesome :) Check out that stickk.com site posted above as well. It's pretty damn cool.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't know your entire financial situation so bear that in mind when reading the following advice. Please don't read the following as me being mean or harsh.

$1200/month is going to doom you to slowlane, if not sidewalk hell for the rest of your life. That is just enough money to scrape by each month. Do you save any for emergencies? What happens if you get sick for several weeks and can't work?

Here is my suggestion:
Since you find yourself idle during the day and not utilizing your time once you complete your work, go volunteer at a homeless shelter. Really watch the people. Talk to them, find out why they are homeless, ask them questions. If that doesn't scare you into overdrive I don't know what will.

Well the thing is that I'm taking steps to making more than $1200/month.. only I'm doing it at the pace of a snail. I know $1200/mo is dooming me to slowlane/sidewalk, but it's just enough to keep me comfortable enough to not panic. I really need to put myself in a position where I have something to lose. Something that I already have that is valuable to me. It can't be "a great life in the future" because I don't have that in my possession.

You're right about not saving for emergencies, but even THAT doesn't light a fire under my a$$. Now, if I knew for sure I was going to get very sick in 3 weeks, I'd do everything I could right now to make sure I have money to live during that time. I need a definite short fuse leading to my doom.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
You got time to play on the forum - you got time to put in some work. You ready for 15 minutes of dedicated work, right now?

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I suck at fastlane money. But Fear as a motivator is an interesting concept. I guess I have used it before unknowingly. When my dog needed emergency surgery I picked up loads of side jobs. In 2 weeks I went from building a tiny fence in a backyard, to a contractor at Our biggest airport begging me to come do more and more work for them. They even tried to get me to quit my job for more pay. But I was left exhausted and almost single again.
On one hand I think fear is a great theoretical Battery boost.
But on the other hand You need to be willing to stretch your knowledge and skills even at the TOUGHEST of times. or at ANYTIME. Yes I'm a carpenter, Yes mathematically a carpenter can never earn a fast lane lifestyle. But My process from pushing a broom to what I am capable of now came from beating on my craft even on Saturday and Sunday skipping breakfast and lunch because I Knew i was on fire and it was going to push me beyond what I am today. And what I will be tomorrow is my (competitions motivator).... Fear of ME.

I do Like the buddy system you guys are doing though. It's forcing the "stretch"
Dude - do you have enough biz coming your way? I was a painting contractor for a stretch and the single thing that seriously increased my leads was a website optimized by a particular company. Footbridge Media - check them out. I personally guarantee your leads will increase. I am in no way affiliated with these cats. I just know, when I used them my leads went through the roof. Ask for Aaron and tell him Kevin sent you. I

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
For me personally, I know where you're coming from. Coming into this summer I decided to quit my job as an assistant store manager at a McDonalds. I figured since I still live at home with my folks and have minimal expenses, I might as well go ahead and quit so I'd have tons more energy and tons of time to pursue my ideas.

Turns out I was also FAR too comfortable. I went all summer without getting anything solid done.
I am going to be launching a direct response product within the next month, but in order to get myself motivated again, I've decided to get a job again at AT&T as a sales rep so that I'm reminded of how much I F*cking hate not having free time and how I despise reporting to a boss.
Also lately I've been really thinking about the legacy I will leave for my family's name. My family is full of humdrum sidewalkians with nauseating dogma flowing from their mouths. None of them have done anything spectacular except working for the man and living boring lives.

F*ck. That.

I want to be able to take care of my mother when she gets up in age, I want to be able to pay for cutting edge medical treatments in the future that might save her life if (God forbid) she should need them.
Yesterday I saw the new Beats Wireless ad featuring LeBron James returning home to his high school in his hometown of Akron, not far from me. They show him lifting weights and going hard in the gym and conjuring up images of when he and his mother were poor and the refrigerator was empty.

Use. That. Shit.

I guess the really important things are:

1. Get another job and immerse yourself in misery for a short while again to get your a$$ moving. Remember how you felt when that alarm went off every F*cking morning.

2. Find something that is so emotionally powerful to you that it almost brings you to tears when you think or talk about it. For me, as I said above, this is the thought of how I promised my mother that I would make her proud and I would always make sure she id taken care of, because GOD KNOWS she kicked a$$ and gave me an amazing childhood for being a single mother.

Find more pain. Find something that shakes you to your core.

Never stop thinking about either of them.

Great post.. thanks for that!

InstantNoodles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 1, 2014
Jakeeck, I've never met you but I second you getting a job. Or even a free internship under a successful entrepreneur. You're young right? And you're not even working 6 hour days?

Right now I have a corporate job and wake up at 3-4AM to work on writing. I'm writing on the bus/train during my 60-90 minute commute.

I also know where you are coming from. When I first I got laid off, I thought YES! Time to make my entrepreneurial dreams COME TRUE! But I couldn't work on an interesting projects since I had no money and it was hard to stay self disciplined, I averaged probably 3 hours of work a day.

Now that I have a corporate job, I'm living frugally so I can invest in real estate. I got a couple projects that I may work on that will cost 10k+ to launch, so that money is going to come in really handy. Plus of course I am developing a side hustle of writing.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Jakeeck, I've never met you but I second you getting a job. Or even a free internship under a successful entrepreneur. You're young right? And you're not even working 6 hour days?

Right now I have a corporate job and wake up at 3-4AM to work on writing. I'm writing on the bus/train during my 60-90 minute commute.

I also know where you are coming from. When I first I got laid off, I thought YES! Time to make my entrepreneurial dreams COME TRUE! But I couldn't work on an interesting projects since I had no money and it was hard to stay self disciplined, I averaged probably 3 hours of work a day.

Now that I have a corporate job, I'm living frugally so I can invest in real estate. I got a couple projects that I may work on that will cost 10k+ to launch, so that money is going to come in really handy. Plus of course I am developing a side hustle of writing.
My writing is a "job." I work for other people and they pay me. The evidence that it's a job? I hate it.

Seriously though, I don't think the answer to my problem is getting a job. I know how much a job sucks, which is why I put myself in this position in the first place.

InstantNoodles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 1, 2014
Wow you hate content mills? Why? I only do 4-5 articles a week so it's more of a hobby for me.

I don't love my job. But it is VERY VERY easy. Almost like a government job. Does not require much concentration. And I can work on my entrpreneurial stuff 2 hours a day because I have so much free time. I know the culture of this site is very anti-job, but they can be a good strategic move in some cases.

I think a possible trap for you in the future (hopefully it doesn't happen) that you're stuck in the same situation in 3-5 years. Content mills work, low standard of living. Which will hurt when 9-5 friends are going to have success. Launching businesses is hard when you have no capital.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Set-up meeting with a prototype company. It is scheduled for this Wednesday. Rec'd their signed NDA. That's it but better then no progress at all.
damn straight... have a good night!

InstantNoodles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 1, 2014
Have you guys tried getting out of the house? Just go to your nearest library. Use a program to block websites that are timewasters. Boom!

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Are you guys still doing this? Or if anyone is struggling with productivity I am calling you out, PM me and we can start our own progress thread aka "productivity duel." And I will prevail. :punch:

P.S. I did this on an addiction forum before, if you have a competitive personality going up against another person can work wonders for the goal you're trying to accomplish.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Well daylight savings happened on the east coast which means his 11:00 is now my 9:00 (time doesn't change in Mountain time zone), and I'm getting ready for bed at that point. I've pm'd 2 people from the forum today to get this going on Skype. I've already got one on there, waiting on a response from the other.

You're right about the competition thing. When I played online poker "professionally" that's how things were.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona

InstantNoodles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 1, 2014
Jakeeck - thanks for the offer but I actually have a networking event during that time period.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.