I thought it might be helpful to have a thread that stimulates our thinking and observations around how businesses add value.
I went to a car wash the other day. This is one of those "in between" models where you do the vacuuming but the car wash is automated - you drive your own car through. Normally, I only vacuum once in a blue moon. Saturday, I decided to get out and do a quick vacuum. I noticed when I got out that there were signs saying you could use two complimentary towels. I thought, what the heck. I am not into washing my car, but I thought it would be nice to dust the inside, and it doesn't cost me anything. So I reached into the box and pulled out, to my surprise, a large, damp microfiber towel. And wiped down the inside of my car. Oh, wow, what a difference that made! I spent maybe 10 minutes on it, and the car looked like it had been detailed. There was a drop box for the dirty cloths right beside the box of clean cloths.
When I ran my car through the wash, I chose the most expensive option they had ($13 instead of $5) because this experience a) made me feel generous towards the owner and b) made me want the car looking better than usual. While driving through, I realized I should have wiped down my windows. So after the wash, I pulled into the vacuum area and got another cloth. I wiped down all my windows, inside and out, and then wiped down the entire car to get that layer of grime that a touchless wash can't get.
A full service car wash costs me $25 with the tip. An economy wash with no frills costs me $5. I chose to pay $13, my car looked better than it did from a full service wash, and I got the personal satisfaction of accomplishment with very little work on my part. (Who knew the power of a damp shammy?!?)
This is a great example of a value-add service with a high benefit. I don't know what his costs were - initial - the signs, bins, and cloths - ongoing - probably just the cost of keeping the towels washed and replaced every so often. This business owner has found a way to distinguish his car wash above all other self service locations.
What have you noticed businesses doing to add value?
I went to a car wash the other day. This is one of those "in between" models where you do the vacuuming but the car wash is automated - you drive your own car through. Normally, I only vacuum once in a blue moon. Saturday, I decided to get out and do a quick vacuum. I noticed when I got out that there were signs saying you could use two complimentary towels. I thought, what the heck. I am not into washing my car, but I thought it would be nice to dust the inside, and it doesn't cost me anything. So I reached into the box and pulled out, to my surprise, a large, damp microfiber towel. And wiped down the inside of my car. Oh, wow, what a difference that made! I spent maybe 10 minutes on it, and the car looked like it had been detailed. There was a drop box for the dirty cloths right beside the box of clean cloths.
When I ran my car through the wash, I chose the most expensive option they had ($13 instead of $5) because this experience a) made me feel generous towards the owner and b) made me want the car looking better than usual. While driving through, I realized I should have wiped down my windows. So after the wash, I pulled into the vacuum area and got another cloth. I wiped down all my windows, inside and out, and then wiped down the entire car to get that layer of grime that a touchless wash can't get.
A full service car wash costs me $25 with the tip. An economy wash with no frills costs me $5. I chose to pay $13, my car looked better than it did from a full service wash, and I got the personal satisfaction of accomplishment with very little work on my part. (Who knew the power of a damp shammy?!?)
This is a great example of a value-add service with a high benefit. I don't know what his costs were - initial - the signs, bins, and cloths - ongoing - probably just the cost of keeping the towels washed and replaced every so often. This business owner has found a way to distinguish his car wash above all other self service locations.
What have you noticed businesses doing to add value?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
