The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Essential lessons for young children...

DougeFreshAK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Apr 15, 2016
Anchorage, AK
I have 3 young children and instead of overthinking it the things that come first to mind that I "teach" them is:

Fend for yourself - You can get basic food yourself and put your dishes away. This includes other basic tasks.
Deal with pain - I'm not going to baby you or give you sympathy for small bumps and bruises, learn how to process and deal with pain. Can also be emotional pain though but I talk to them more with that and teach them how to process emotions.
Your Actions have consequences - You will get punished if you don't listen or have bad behavior and as you get older (over 18+) there will not be forgiveness from the law if you make bad choices.
You can make your own choices - I give them the freedom to make decisions when it seems appropriate and they can live with the outcomes.

With all of that said I obviously love my kids very much and they love me, I pick and choose when it's a good time to enforce these and do baby them from time to time. Not one of those uber strict old school parents just want them to be better prepared for the world.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

VigBoss15

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 31, 2022
Question for those of you with young children (3-7 years old), if there was ONE essential concept that you could absolutely ingrain and teach in your child, what would it be?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about writing a children's book (more pictures than words) but ultimately, I would like the book to teach children one (or more) of these core concepts that will help them in life.

For example, if I had a young child, I'd like to teach them the concept of a growth mindset, versus a fixed mindset. I'd like to let them know that their current circumstances doesn't need to be their future.

If you could ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE that a particular mindset would burn into your child's mind, what would it be?

For me, it would be the fixed/growth mindset.
Based on the Marshmallow test, I'd teach them the concept of delaying gratification

The people who wrote the book "Marshmallow Test" found that the children that delayed gratification were more successful later on in life

Europe19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 23, 2023
Germany/ Bavaria
What I would think is important for Kids as 16 year old:
Give them books (at first the type doesn't matter)
Wait until they get their first digital device because the probability that they use it wrong is high (watching TikTok all day)
NO Drugs and alcohol (does also apply to the parents)
Give them healthy food and
#1: Swim against the tide

These are not always lessons but also advices

Mellowed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 19, 2024
If I had to pick one concept for my kiddo (currently 5), it'd definitely be resilience. Life throws curveballs, and being able to bounce back with a smile is gold. I want my little one to know that setbacks aren't roadblocks but detours leading to something even cooler. I can totally relate to your choice of a growth mindset! It's like planting seeds of possibility early on. Also, the journey, not just the destination, right?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EternalStudent

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 4, 2020
Australia
- Good manners make adults like you and want to help you
- Never say "I can't" - just say you need help
- You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar
- Boys can become daddies and girls can become mummies (no switching)
- Using things for a different purpose than intended in order to solve a problem
- You are never too old to give mum/dad a hug
- Why do old people smell funny
- Why dont adults wear nappies (dont feel pressure to grow up too quickly, some things like toilet training just take more time for some kids but all will eventually resolve)
- Listen to mum & dad before teachers, the news etc
- Why daddy has to go to work

+ so many more...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads