The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ESPN's Broke documentary airs tomorrow

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ever wonder how professional athletes with multimillion-dollar contracts can end up bankrupt?

Pro Athletes Go

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The Retail and Financial sectors are laughing all the way to the bank :smxF:.

These folks need to understand that even Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are on a budget. No amount of money will ever excuse you from a financial budget.

Hell even Apple computers is on a freakin budget.

A part of me feels bad for these dudes, but at the same time it's hard to feel sorry for poor choices. :smxE:

Can't wait to tune in.

Mr.Dietsch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 30, 2012
yeah, its absolutely ridiculously stupid some of these athletes are with their money. You can't fix stupid.

Crumbs2Bricks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Aug 29, 2012
yeah, its absolutely ridiculously stupid some of these athletes are with their money. You can't fix stupid.

I can't even imagine the kind of pressure they have to deal with. As mentioned, a lot of ego plays a role in their choices and many of them are rags to riches. I'm not shocked at the way in which they spent their money.

Jamal Mashburn made best statement thus far: You're becoming the CEO of a company and you're not ready for the job. No one is prepared to handle that kind of money overnight. Sure the spending was foolish but I'm not going to call them stupid because of it. Put yourself in theirs shoes. NO, I am not supporting their mistakes but I can certainly understand why they did what they did.

Lots of lessons for FastLaners to learn.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
its not being stupid...its more about growing up w/ nothing and nobody around you having any kind of financial knowledge.

If you dont know, you dont know.

Mr.Dietsch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 30, 2012
Your right, maybe its hard for me to understand from their perspective. You still think that they would think to themselves while in college that "hey I am about to have a professional career, and probably make a lot of money, maybe I should pick up a book and read a little bit about money management." Nope that would be to boring. The fact that they can't say no to friends and family is their fault, they need to take accountability. How's the quote go, "A fool and his money will soon be parted."

Crumbs2Bricks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Aug 29, 2012
Your right, maybe its hard for me to understand from their perspective. You still think that they would think to themselves while in college that "hey I am about to have a professional career, and probably make a lot of money, maybe I should pick up a book and read a little bit about money management." Nope that would be to boring. The fact that they can't say no to friends and family is their fault, they need to take accountability. How's the quote go, "A fool and his money will soon be parted."

Easier to say when you're not them. We always have the answers for someone elses life.

Having been in management at low levels and senior levels,most of my career, one of the greatest things I learned how to do is stop looking at things from my perspective. Once I learned how to see things from another point of view, other than my own, I started to get more accomplished and became a more compassionate manager. I was able to get more accomplished because I allowed people with a new perspective to teach me something. Putting yourself in one's shoes will help you to learn about people and why we do the things we do. Take your blinders off, it'll make you a better person.

In business you need to be compassionate and open to other perspectives other than your own.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
I can see being 21 and getting lost in that life.
I have a buddy in Vegas that has friends in the club industry...so whenever im there we a get a comped table etc...
Im not a club guy at all, but that fast life w/ the girls and people kissing your a$$ because they think you have money is tempting to a lot of people. I know a few people who dont make all that much money...and they are lost in it...
...so I could only imagine tens of millions being dropped on a kids head.

Mr.Dietsch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 30, 2012
Kinda off-topic: have any of you seen How I made my millions. on cnbc, I love that show! MJ could be on that show.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
I thought it was interesting how few of them never even plan for the fact that a long pro career is like 10 years. What do they think will happen after that? I'm not trying to condemn them, but literally am wondering what they think comes after that. Do they think they're somehow saving when they aren't? Do they expect to be offered big TV jobs? To just go all out and OD before they're 40?

Like the one guy said, most slowlaners can waste their twenties/thirties and bank of the fact that their forties/fifties will be their big years. These guys don't have that, but still seem to act in the same way.

I was also struck but just how HUGE sidewalkerism is in this country. You tend to forget the stark reality of it once you've educated yourself, but holy crap. What a reminder. I was just astonished at times.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.