The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Entrepreneurship comes with great sacrifices...

secretentourage

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 4, 2013
BOCA, LA, NY and VA
Ask any entrepreneur how they got to where they are and I guarantee you none of them will say it happened overnight. The famous quote “Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won’t, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can’t.†says it best, and as cliche or played out as it may seem, it certainly holds true to the journey entrepreneurs must take to in order to reach their desired level of success. You will have to make sacrifices whether you like it or not, so here are 10 sacrifices you may encounter along the way.

1) Sleep – Remember the good ol days of college (if you went) where you slept all day? Kiss that good bye cause the real world sucks. Entrepreneurship isn’t a 40 hour a week job. Yes, you can set your own hours but at the end of the day, it’s still a full time job. Long gone are the days of 8 wonderful hours of sleep but rather late nights of working hard to bring your idea to life. To get 8 hours is wishful thinking but realistically it’s not uncommon to only get 5-6 hours a night.

2) Health – I list this loosely as I firmly believe your health/diet should always be a very high priority. If you’re healthy, you feel more energized allowing you to work those long nights as we just discussed. But the reality is that most people have to balance multiple things in their life including a day job possibly, family, significant others, etc. It can become difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle with fitness and dieting so don’t be surprised if you gain a few pounds sitting behind the computer all day. I absolutely believe there’s no excuse to work out at least an hour a day but there always will be those that don’t because of laziness.

3) Friends – The friends you grew up with may soon become distant friends of the past. You will probably stay close to a select few of them but the majority will continue on with their ways of confined thinking and settling for average at best. Don’t be surprised if some even turn against you as success can make a person jealous real fast. On the upside, you will meet newer individuals who share the same mindset as you. This will allow you to work harder as you keep each other in check. Don’t forget to take care of your close friends who believed in you when you do make it though.

4) Free Time – The value of time has no price as it’s literally priceless. When you stall and take your time, there’s going to be someone else who has more resources and will take action, beating you to the marketplace. Again, if you have other commitments with family or a day job, your free time is even scarce. Life is short and there’s only 24 hours in a day so make it count.

5) Social Life - As Gary Vaynerchuk says: “If you live for the weekends then your shit is broke.†The days of partying, drinking, clubbing, and all that fun stuff will have to wait. We know temptation will kick in so we believe that it is good to unplug and take a break from work from time to time but to also not let it become a habit. If you have a problem sitting home on a Saturday night then maybe you’re in it for the wrong reasons and entrepreneurship isn’t for you.

6) Stability – If you work a day job then you will have a bit more stability and a safety net but remember nothing is guaranteed. You’re still essentially building someone else’s dream. On the other hand, if you’re a full time entrepreneur, you take on tremendous risk since there’s also no guarantee that your idea will make it plus cashflow will be hard to come by initially. For you to go full time on any venture does demand some respect in its own right. But as an entrepreneur, you must be willing to sacrifice stability and living way below your means to make it all work. But please never put your family and loved ones in jeopardy.

7) Relationships – It can be tough to balance relationships while working on your project as your heart may be somewhere else. A relationship usually requires a full commitment and you’re either all in or out. If you’ve found a great partner that fully supports you in your endeavors then be sure to give them the attention they deserve without falling off the path. For the other folks, you can have fun as well but just be sure to separate business and pleasure when necessary.

8) Personal Wants – All the goods and toys you can easily afford will have to wait. These include things like a project car, video games, clothing, etc. These are all nothing but depreciating assets usually and will result in nothing more than being a waste of your time and money. You work hard for yourself so it’s ok to treat yourself but also remember that reaching your desired level of success will be the best reward money can buy. It’s also ok to dream and strive for things like luxury goods but keep in mind if your motive to start a business is to make money then you’re in it for the wrong reasons. Instead, be innovative, solve real world problems, provide value, and the money will come.

9) Growth – As you progress through your entrepreneurial journey, you will no doubt see close friends and family have great careers in the corporate world, allowing them to live a very comfortable life and purchase things like their own homes. This is completely ok as those individuals are happy and complacent with what they have. However, this should not discourage you as being ‘behind the curve’ so to speak. Remember that the ceilings for growth, personally and in your bank account, are infinitely higher than anyone that works in the corporate world. You will have your time to shine when the time is right.

10) Sanity – Nothing will come easy so be prepared to deal with incredible amounts of setbacks and obstacles. Those are the times that will really make you question your sanity and devotion to your idea. It is how you handle these situations that will ultimately define who you are. You can chalk every event along the way as a learning experience. At times you will think you are crazy to go through all the bullshit just to bring your idea to life. But remember it’s the crazy ones that ultimately change society

Any other ones you can think of?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
For me it was facing disillusionment that hurt the most.
- All major influences (family etc hurts the most) prior were ignorant to my needs and forcefully content with my position
- I had to be truly alone, without backup, just the harsh and swift judgements of a crowd (and trying to keep morality and esteem intact through it)
- I had to stop asking for leniancy, that I was programmed to ask for by habit (and couldn't see)
- I had to spend two or three years totally uncertain about if I was going to ever be anything regarding it, playing polite, and choking on an absense of material that didn't make sense to ME
- I spent time trying to scratch for a little more info (which isn't something you WANT to do, its something you submit to) I tried to limit it, which took sacrifice (if you get used to it, thats not a good thing)
- I couldn't see myself and so was insecure about my own perception, in a place where I was too afraid to go out and get responses from people, nor capable enough to extract goods from it

The rejouvenating thing after the fact was that
- My previous peers were just lazy
- The crowd smiles at things that aren't usual (don't hide stuff too much)
- Standing up for yourself is innevitable
- 2-3 years is the learning curve, and I got some extra notes on how to do it better next time I learn something (which will be something I do for fun, cuz now I have money done)
- I did manage to limit my scratching shit, which is good for self esteem
- I now have products that I am confident about

The truth was, that in a lazy, smiling crowd, I innevitably had to stand up, learn how to make sense of things, minimise dependancy (but not ignore it), and create great products I was confident about.

Its crazy how many sacrifices it takes to learn something as simple as a sentence, when we face its monterous, egotistic and BS other half.
Such is learning... Oh the JOY!!!

The other thing, is that business is not a "complete" thing, and those in power like to assert that THEIR version IS. You have to overcome that. Which is when you get a lot of shit.
Its not their fault of course, its a result of a whole lot of free floating hostility, ever present because of the pollution that is how stressful the process is and how hard it is to keep things STRAIGHT in an atmosphere of charlatans.

It is EXHAUSTING dealing with that hostility, WHILST admitting you have some dependance on others and they on you, because they'll assume whatever comes to mind for them.

So be ready to cop BS from people you believe WON'T BS you.

If you survive that INTACT! :icon_super::smash::groove::coolgleamA: You be a genuine hero.

Until then :eusa_naughty::sigh::nono::nonod::coco::cuss::bgh::mad:

You just gotta keep spirits up :thumbsup:

It was HARD for me, so I don't have much more advice than that biz is easier if you don't think about it so much (but still manage to get your work done).
If you buy into the whole "hussle and bussle" it distracts from work, which is what lays foundations to avoid disillusionment becoming a bad thing.

It doesn't last, if you have the stones for it.
And in that in a lazy, smiling crowd, you innevitably do stand up, make sense of things, understand mutual benefit, and create great products you are confident about. Freeing you up to both enjoy your biz and pursue LIFE free from the oppressive BS that comes from those who's advice was lazy and falsely content.

You live with a new breath of fresh air. And that one breath is worth it. I look back at people from my past and just smile knowing that I never need ask them for anything. Which opens me up to just live generously (the way I like to be).

I get to laugh more with my girl, say "don't worry about it" more. And we just get to live as we should, the only catch being that sometimes I have to think on other peoples problems and solve them. But by getting some friends involved, its not too bad and I can do as much or as little as I like :).

As for the post:
I would chuck in
Certainty
You give that one up every time you take action

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
Such a great list!

For me its been a long learning process, mostly from failure. I made all kinds of mistakes in the beginning from hiring the wrong people, partnering with the wrong people, not focusing on sales and marketing, not having a good enough product, but the best lessons were not business related, they were personal. Some of the key points from your post that stand out to me:

Sleep: Ive made a lot of strides towards getting this right but Im still more of a night owl, which sucks. Im much more productive if I get up early and hit the ground running, but there is always that pull towards work before bed that ends up being until 5am. Not smart, but a deeply ingrained habit when there is so much to do. One thing that is helping me is working on a solid morning routine, starting with hydration, a little exercise, a good breakfast, all before I even look at an email. This sets the stage and rhythm for the rest of the day and I get more done to the point where I dont feel like working past 11pm. Instead I look forward to the next morning.

Health: this is a big one for me, since I worked myself almost to death and had to spend a week in the hospital. That was a wakeup call for me to examine a more balanced lifestyle. I thought I was still 18 and could work 24 hours a day, skip meals, eat garbage and the machine would magically keep going! Not so. Everyone will eventually pay the piper. I lost over 20lbs first, then eventually couldnt work, then wound up in a hospital bed unable to do much of anything at all. As a result of the hospital stay, I changed my diet, started exercising more, gained my natural weight back and feel 100x better, probably better than I ever have in my life. This health and energy translate back into your work! Well worth the investment! Sleep is still an issue, but like I said, Im working on it!

Friends: the friends issue is tough. I have had to move on from many old friends. Once your worldview changes, its hard to relate to some people anymore. You start to find their paradigms too self limiting. To discover someone's paradigm, its easy to spot in the language. A lot of "I cant do this, Im not smart enough, thats too risky" etc. There is a lack of energy and excitement about projects and ideas that other entrepreneurs have built in. So you start to gravitate towards that energy. In the end, you need to be surrounded by people who will support you but also give you honest feedback.

Stability: it takes a certain mindset to push through the ups an downs of building a startup. I went for years without a steady paycheck. A lot of people wouldnt do this but entrepreneurs have a different mindset. There is optimism and faith. It almost became a certain type of faith. You dont want blind faith in what you are doing, you want metrics and other views to tell when something is still worth doing so you dont waste time, but I think you need faith in the fact that you will find the right path eventually. It might be through failure or success, but you need that faith in yourself. And its tough to maintain that after getting beat up so much!

Relationships: my wife is my Rock. nuff said.

Growth: this must remain constant. You need to be constantly reading, constantly educating yourself. I cant imagine a life without this now. Its just the way it is. I look at other friends that are not into personal development or growth and I can no longer understand it. The benefits are HUGE in all aspects of your life.

Something I also learned not on this list is "EQ" (Emotional IQ): I never really knew what EQ was nor did I understand its importance until I started my own company and started leading others. Its extremely important. It dictates how we react to various situations. Do I fly off the handle when insulted by a client? how do I handle stress? how do I handle an employee thats not "getting it?" how do I handle a crumbling situation that is so bad it feels as though years of work is about to get flushed down the toilet? Its more than just the ability to handle stress, but rather our response to it, especially when other people are involved. Daniel Goleman has a great book on the subject. Not an easy thing to change, but I find even just understanding what EQ is, and being aware of how it works goes a Long way towards building future success in all the environments an entrepreneur might face.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
I will say AMEN and AMEN again to SecretEntourages list.

I think the cliche saying needs an extension.

“Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won’t, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can’t....then those same people look at you and say how lucky you are."

All of these are nearly assured scarifies to peruse the fastlane, if you're not ready to give them up, you're probably just not ready to go after it yet.

I will comment on one in particular because it struck home for me.

HEALTH:

Unfortunately you may have to sacrifice your current weight or workout program. I was in good shape when I started down this path and even though I never found excuses to stop working on my dream I let my dream be my excuse not to work out. I saw the weight gain, went up a size in pants and shirts and overall disappointed myself on that end.

Since hitting a stride with my business and looking towards other businesses I started doing something I never thought I would do. I got up EARLY to work out. Please keep in mind I'm a night-owl, always have been. But every time I would read an autobiography or stories about successful people one thing they always had in common was. They got up early to work out.

It's something I used to abhor, I made the excuses, I kept trying to work out at night after a long long day at the office building my dreams. It just wasn't working. So I made the decision to join a crossfit group in town and get up two hours earlier than usual. It allows me to regulate my work out and the only thing I have to do to "plan" and maintain is show up for class and plan my meals. It feels amazing.

If you're currently going after your dreams, seriously consider getting up and joining a gym or cross fit group, it'll drive your innovation, energy, and self-confidence.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.