The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Engineering Business

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Find your first customer or first problem you can solve with you doing it. What kind of engineering?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

How do you go from an employed engineer to starting an engineering business?
First you would need a PE if you are going to advertise yourself as an engineer without getting arrested or fined, at least in the United States. You could always offer ancillary services without a PE, or hire someone with a PE instead.

The best person to answer this though would be @ZCP

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
market yourself and your expertise and solve problems
delve into whatever branch it is your comfortable in. FOr me it was construction and industrial\

@ZCP is doing this and has been doing this for a minute. maybe he has some posts that can be of use

4gus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jan 18, 2023
I was an engineer, but I didn't try to start an engineering business. But I have a friend who did that. He started off as an independent contractor instead of employee. Depend on where you live and what kind of engineer you are, but it is a small circle. Everybody knows everybody.

So, when he was working as contractor, he is a civil engineer btw, he found out that his company got some new projects and needed more engineers. He reached out to his other friends and ask them to work under him. His friends were happy because they found work, company is also happy because they don't need to find the engineers by themselves. That's how he started.
I think he could go bigger if he wants, but I guess he just like being an engineer. He still run a small team of 3-5 people while being the lead engineer.

He works with both small and big engineering companies, what's important is the nature of the project. For short term projects, usually company doesn't want to hire permanent employees. It takes too long and too expensive so they'd rather hire a contractor.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Depends on the niche.

Mechanical, Civil/Building or Computing engineers are totally serving different markets.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I was an engineer, but I didn't try to start an engineering business. But I have a friend who did that. He started off as an independent contractor instead of employee. Depend on where you live and what kind of engineer you are, but it is a small circle. Everybody knows everybody.

So, when he was working as contractor, he is a civil engineer btw, he found out that his company got some new projects and needed more engineers. He reached out to his other friends and ask them to work under him. His friends were happy because they found work, company is also happy because they don't need to find the engineers by themselves. That's how he started.
I think he could go bigger if he wants, but I guess he just like being an engineer. He still run a small team of 3-5 people while being the lead engineer.

He works with both small and big engineering companies, what's important is the nature of the project. For short term projects, usually company doesn't want to hire permanent employees. It takes too long and too expensive so they'd rather hire a contractor.
There is also a construction boom here. Singapore is expanding its infrastructure to make the entire city assessable by train stations-easily. The target is no matter where you live, the nearest train station is within 8 minute walking distance.

The government land authority is the client here and they invite main contractors from China who had little experience in oversea projects to join in the bidding.

The result was the due to inexperience these Chinese companies got the contracts and vastly underestimated the cost (due to much higher regulatory requirement in noise and safety in Singapore). Certain procedures they have to use German equipment because of the standard set by the land authority here and tehre. They were in big losses and also also spill over to the business for subcontractors. Everyone is having a not so easy time due to reduced or no margin.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Really, you need to read the books. Learn something fundamental for yourself and ask higher level questions.
TMF
Unscripted
Rat Race Escape

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
That is the big question standing at the beginning of EVERY business.
The answer nr one is already given by @Parks : find someone with a problem you can solve. Solve it. FIRST CUSTOMER. Than you have a business and can go from there.

The difference between the second customer and the first may look not so high, but! It is different. Because there may be some %or whatever between them.
But between no customer and the first one the increase is infinite. That’s where the beginner’s problems are.

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
That is the big question standing at the beginning of EVERY business.
The answer nr one is already given by @Parks : find someone with a problem you can solve. Solve it. FIRST CUSTOMER. Than you have a business and can go from there.

The difference between the second customer and the first may look not so high, but! It is different. Because there may be some %or whatever between them.
But between no customer and the first one the increase is infinite. That’s where the beginner’s problems are.
Not as easy in engineering.... So many people here do software or services. Which a lot you even can start from at home.

But if you want to do something in the field of technology. There are some very high entrance hurdles. Developing a product can sometimes take up to multiple years just for a MVP.
There is also stuff you simply can not develop on your own but need a team of engineers for.

The major advantage is, that if you get a product out of it, it can be very hard to replicate by others.

TheGreatAli

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 21, 2023
Australia
Not as easy in engineering.... So many people here do software or services. Which a lot you even can start from at home.

But if you want to do something in the field of technology. There are some very high entrance hurdles. Developing a product can sometimes take up to multiple years just for a MVP.
There is also stuff you simply can not develop on your own but need a team of engineers for.

The major advantage is, that if you get a product out of it, it can be very hard to replicate by others.
Yeah exactly, I’m going to be a Mechanical Engineer in a year, creating a product has so many hurdles and finding the first customer won’t happen until I have some product/value to give to that customer

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria

I am and work as a mechanical engineer since 3 decades. Yes, you are right!

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
If you really want to go what people generally understand under “engineering” excluding services, I would say one path would be the PhD route. This may not be the same for the US as where I live you actually get somewhat paid for a PhD. If you have a great project which is suitable to solve a problem there is a good chance you can make a spin-off from your university. With this, you already have multiple years of engineering into your product when you start.

There maybe also some companies who allow you to create a spin-off if they have some technology they are not interested to bring to the market.

Starting a engineering start-up from nothing is very hard. It may be possible if you focus on topics which require less know-how and machinery. Nanotechnology for example would be a very bad idea.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.