The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Email Marketing- Lead Capture

Marketing, social media, advertising

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Have a great lead magnet that has been extremely well received thus far on social media that I have been running an ad giving it away in exchange for an email.

Here's the dilemma.

In trying to build a great email list which would you choose being that the ads are being shown to targeted customers?

1) Continue to give away the free ebook in exchange for an email thus resulting in a greater overall number of emails on your list.

2) Try and monetize the ebook for cheap ($1-7) to keep the freebie-seeking tire kickers off your email list, resulting in a HUGE decrease in the overall number on your email marketing list.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Split test and see which one converts best.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Like Andrew said, split testing is always the right answer. Data > opinions.

That being said, I've tested this, direct selling wins everytime, and it's not even close. There's just too many variables when you try to collect email leads first, it only works in certain industries.

You're spending money on ads where ultimately you will be lucky if 1/3rd of the signups even open your emails, and even less click-through. Then if your performance was bad, was it the email headline? Was it the title of your lead magnet? Was it the content of your email? Was it something that's on the sales page you set up after 10% of the 33% of the people who opened your email clicked through?

The freebies are good for traffic sources with a lot of different targets to exclude or optimize, since it'll be cheaper to exclude sites with no opt-ins after 10 clicks vs. having to wait for 200 clicks per site with no sales before excluding, but you can always add other micro-conversions to tweak with without it being a free lead magnet.

If you insist on a free lead magnet because some guru said so, at least sell them on the thank you page.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Like Andrew said, split testing is always the right answer. Data > opinions.

That being said, I've tested this, direct selling wins everytime, and it's not even close. There's just too many variables when you try to collect email leads first, it only works in certain industries.

Thanks man, make sense but so far direct selling on Facebook has failed miserably.

Maybe its that FB isn't good for direct response in the Fitness niche?

Our sales copy has multiple versions and has been reviewed the a top "A-list copywriter"

Only $47 bucks but won't convert.

Same audience and I can give away a free ebook and get emails for $.50 , then try to sell them the $47 program and all they do is keep begging for more free stuff..LOL

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Thanks man, make sense but so far direct selling on Facebook has failed miserably.

Maybe its that FB isn't good for direct response in the Fitness niche?

Our sales copy has multiple versions and has been reviewed the a top "A-list copywriter"

Only $47 bucks but won't convert.

Same audience and I can give away a free ebook and get emails for $.50 , then try to sell them the $47 program and all they do is keep begging for more free stuff..LOL

You have to fix your $47 offer then, something is wrong with it. Adding an email funnel in front of it, or a cheap tripwire in front isn't going to save it. You have to make the bare-bones version at least show some sort of potential before you add all these different variables.

Have you seen similar fitness offers perform well with the traffic you're sending to it? When you say doesn't convert, you mean at all? How many clicks did you send to it? What percentage of visitors at least clicked through to the checkout page?

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
You have to fix your $47 offer then, something is wrong with it. Adding an email funnel in front of it, or a cheap tripwire in front isn't going to save it. You have to make the bare-bones version at least show some sort of potential before you add all these different variables.

Have you seen similar fitness offers perform well with the traffic you're sending to it? When you say doesn't convert, you mean at all? How many clicks did you send to it? What percentage of visitors at least clicked through to the checkout page?

Thanks man.

See thats the thing. Spoke with a bunch of PPC agencies to do some research on competitors before we even spent a penny.

Every single one of them emphatically came back to us and said Facebook is the way to go for our audience/product.

However in our own research all I can find is those same competitors advertising on Google. When we spoke with these PPC companies they insisted FB was the way to go since we are just launching and can only speculate at our customer acquisition cost and long term value.

For the life of me I can't see how a mom sitting on her mobile phone at the gym, doctor's office, kids school, etc is in a buying mood while browsing Facebook and just waiting to whip out her CC# for any offer at all.

We initially tried listing the info product on ClickBank but couldn't get the copy/VSL approved as they wanted so many changes that there would be nothing left of the copy..LOL

We have a bunch of landing pages and sent over 1k clicks with ZERO purchases.

Confirmed checkout is working correctly by purchasing ourselves walking through checkout from various devices.

Figured the next step would be to go the Ryan Diess digitalmarketer route and do the whole LM>TW>CO funnel. We have tried that in the past with unrelated offers and it worked to only generate a HUGE mailing list of freebie seeking tire kickers which was worthless.

And like you said huge % lost between ad views, clicks, optins, email opens, email CTR , etc... just didnt' seem worth it.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Facebook is a beast and can definitely make you a ton of money, but I wouldn't necessarily start there. I mean it depends on what exactly your product is, but 1000 clicks and no conversions is not good, 3-5 sales out of 1000 clicks for cold traffic would be a start, we just still can't narrow down the problem without knowing more. What devices were the clicks from? Desktop, tablet, mobile, a mix of all of them? How tight was the audience targeting?

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Facebook is a beast and can definitely make you a ton of money, but I wouldn't necessarily start there. I mean it depends on what exactly your product is, but 1000 clicks and no conversions is not good, 3-5 sales out of 1000 clicks for cold traffic would be a start, we just still can't narrow down the problem without knowing more. What devices were the clicks from? Desktop, tablet, mobile, a mix of all of them? How tight was the audience targeting?

Thanks.. didn't mean to take up so much of your time.

Tried to PM you to give you the site details so you could browse around if you so chose :) but TFF isn't letting me for some reason....

Was all devices and split between proven audiences (that signed up for 1-on-1 coaching in the past) and other specifically targeted saved or lookalike audiences that has worked for others

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Thanks.. didn't mean to take up so much of your time.

Tried to PM you to give you the site details so you could browse around if you so chose :) but TFF isn't letting me for some reason....

Was all devices and split between proven audiences (that signed up for 1-on-1 coaching in the past) and other specifically targeted saved or lookalike audiences that has worked for others

Definitely remove mobile right away, tablet is iffy but desktop is best, so I'd start with just desktop first, so at least we can remove devices from the equation of the shit that's making it not work.

You can try PMing me again, I think I had a setting in my preferences unchecked but I checked it now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.