The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Email Help

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
I need some help on the best way to go about it. I want to scrape emails daily from an ad website, and then email them. I have that part figured out. What I need help with is somehow comparing the email addresses from the day before with the fresh ones and deleting the ones that have already been mailed to. I remember watching a video and he mentioned he did this with a database. The goal is not to email the people I have already sent to. Any help would be appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Not really sure what you mean by "scrape emails", but I would look into the CANSPAM act if I were you.

Unless the user has given you permission to email them (ie. opts in to your list or someone else's list you're renting) then its illegal and carries very high monetary penalties as well as jail time.

As for your original question, if you're using a proper email platform then that feature is already built in.

There are also desktop email management programs out there that you can use.

Email List Management Software, Email List Management Solutions Canada.

and

Manage Email List - Remove & Delete Duplicate Emails, Remove From Email List, Filter Email List, ListMate

are two good ones to check out.

Again, go check out the CANSPAM laws before you dive in to this way of business.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
Not really sure what you mean by "scrape emails", but I would look into the CANSPAM act if I were you.

Unless the user has given you permission to email them (ie. opts in to your list or someone else's list you're renting) then its illegal and carries very high monetary penalties as well as jail time.

As for your original question, if you're using a proper email platform then that feature is already built in.

There are also desktop email management programs out there that you can use.

Email List Management Software, Email List Management Solutions Canada.

and

Manage Email List - Remove & Delete Duplicate Emails, Remove From Email List, Filter Email List, ListMate

are two good ones to check out.

Again, go check out the CANSPAM laws before you dive in to this way of business.

Thanks for the software

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Here's some reading material for ya:

CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business | BCP Business Center

CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 <--- The actual act

Each separate email in violation of the CAN-SPAM Act is subject to penalties of up to $16,000, so non-compliance can be costly. But following the law isn’t complicated. Here’s a rundown of CAN-SPAM’s main requirements:

And here's some helpful points drawn from the act:

Don't use fraudulent transmission data, such as open relays and false headers (sections 4(a), 5(a)(1), and 6).

Don't use misleading sender or subject lines (section 5(a)(1) and 5(a)(2)).

Add your postal address to all email (section 5(a)(3) and 5(a)(5)(A)(iii)).

If your email list isn't opt-in or double opt-in ("prior affirmative consent"), include a clear notice that states the email is an advertisement or solicitation in commercial messages (section 5(a)(5)(A)(i)). If your list is opt-in or double opt-in, you're exempt from this provision.

Include a "clear and conspicuous" unsubscribe mechanism in every email (section 5(a)(5)(A)(ii)).

Have a process for handling unsubscribes within the 10-day window. Ensure this is in place electronically, as well as for unsubscribes received via postal mail (and any other contact information you include in the email, such as phone and fax) (section 5(a)(4)).

Offer recipients a way to receive some types of email from you while blocking others, along with a "global unsubscribe" option to stop all future email from your organization (section 5(a)(3)(B)).

Don't share the address of a person who unsubscribed with any other entity seeking to send that party email (section 5(a)(4)).

Don't harvest email addresses or use automated means to randomly generate addresses (section 5(b)(1)).

Remove any sexually oriented material from your messages. The law requires such material be readily identified in the subject line. When "initially viewed," the message body should include only instructions on how to access the sexually oriented material, as well as your postal address, a notice the message is an advertisement or a solicitation, and a working unsubscribe mechanism (section 5(d)(1)). You can ignore this if the message is sent to someone who opted in (section 5(d)(2)).
Complying With CAN-SPAM: A 10-Point Checklist for Marketers | ClickZ

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
i had someone build that in 20 minutes one time..but like Zend said...dont bother.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
Thank you, the Can-Spam act is noted.

I need a way to make sure I don't email the same person twice. Is there a program that looks at a master list, and than compares another list and removes duplicates from that list?

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
I need a way to make sure I don't email the same person twice. Is there a program that looks at a master list, and than compares another list and removes duplicates from that list?

You'll need to tell us more about what your doing, then we can recommend further resources.

As I wrote in a post above, most email platforms have that functionality built in.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
You'll need to tell us more about what your doing, then we can recommend further resources.

As I wrote in a post above, most email platforms have that functionality built in.

Hey pete, i appreciate the response. Basically what I want to do is scrape CL once a week and sort those people and email. But I want to scrape it every week, yet not email the same ad more than once. If they are interested in my services one email will be enough. And it's not the casual encounters section either.

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Ok, that's a better description of what you're looking to do.

I still need to caution you, as what you're planning to do violates the CAN-SPAM act.

Because of that, I'm out.

I can't help you do something illegal.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I need some help on the best way to go about it. I want to scrape emails daily from an ad website, and then email them. I have that part figured out. What I need help with is somehow comparing the email addresses from the day before with the fresh ones and deleting the ones that have already been mailed to. I remember watching a video and he mentioned he did this with a database. The goal is not to email the people I have already sent to. Any help would be appreciated.

yea don't do this. I did what you are trying to do in 4 or 5 hours. I pulled over 70,000 emails out of two locations by hand, all while knowing about the Spam Acts. A few people told me how bad of an idea it was. I began researching and then I deleted my lists. What a waste of time.

G

Guest12120

Some more info on CAN-SPAM Act CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business | BCP Business Center

CAN-SPAM Act allows direct marketing email messages to be sent to anyone, without permission, until the recipient explicitly requests that they cease ("opt-out"). Opt-In Laws in the USA and EU

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
CAN-SPAM Act allows direct marketing email messages to be sent to anyone, without permission, until the recipient explicitly requests that they cease ("opt-out"). Opt-In Laws in the USA and EU

This is partially true. Yes technically you can send to anyone up until the point where they opt-out, unsubscribe.

However, the only way to be compliant with the law in collecting the email address is for the user to opt-in.

When the shit hits the fan, you'll need to prove how and where you got the email address and that it was compliant. They'll want to have
an opt-in date, subscription ip address, and the source page for the opt-in as proof.

Any harvesting/ scraping of emails is explicitly illegal.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I did something similar to this a while back, searching for clients that would be interested in our lead gen service. Had a decent response. We weren't technically violating the CANSPAM Act the way we were doing it though; we weren't soliciting or misleading.

But anyways, to answer your question...

Basically what I want to do is scrape CL once a week and sort those people and email. But I want to scrape it every week, yet not email the same ad more than once. If they are interested in my services one email will be enough. And it's not the casual encounters section either.

Couldn't you just add your scraped list to Excel, paste it in one column, then add the newly scraped list every week to a new column, making sure you remove the duplicates before emailing the new list?

Here's a link on how to check for duplicates on excel: How to compare data in two columns to find duplicates in Excel

Good luck, and like the others said, make sure you're in compliance with the CANSPAM Act. =)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Email prospecting is almost worthless. I have gotten better responses from actual letters. Email followup after a call isn't worthless.

The best thing email marketing does is customer retention, recognition, and referrals. This is after they know you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.