The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Eli5: Returning Paid-in-Capital on an S-Corp

Ama

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 2, 2017
California
Hi Tax peoples,

Please help wrap my mind around this. If I put 100,000 into an s corp for working capital, and the first year it profits enough to have 200,000 in profits after all expenses, what is the tax efficient way to have the 100,000 returned to me?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great question as it has revealed how rusty I am with accounting. I should know this without a doubt, but I can't say I do.

My guess...

You can pull it out without a tax hit, however, it becomes a balance sheet item and reduces the your basis in the company, as well as the paid-in-capital for the corp. Mind you, this is purely a speculation, so don't take as specific accounting advice.

Perhaps @CareCPA can chime in.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
per my understanding ....... as s corp, you pay tax on the profits on your 1040. so you won't be shielding anything from tax by 'returning the capital' instead of distributing the profit.

for what to do with the money, up to you. distribute the profits to yourself, or return some profits and the invested capital and keep the rest in assets. just shifts where it shows on the balance sheet (assets/liabilities/equity).

CPA can confirm

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm not sure you're asking the correct question, but I also don't think everyone understands what an S Corporation is before they make the actual election.

An S Corp is a tax election, so you are either an LLC or a C Corp to start with. When you formed the entity, did you put money in simultaneously? If so, this was likely you purchasing the LLC/C Corp interests/stock.
This might be changing, I know some states you have to make a state-specific S Corp election as well, but I don't know if they allow you to form as an S Corp.

With an S election, the IRS says you need to pay yourself a reasonable salary before taking distributions. In this case, it may be beneficial if you had loaned the money to the entity instead.
There are various other ways of getting cash out of the business depending on your structure and other businesses (i.e. paying rent to yourself/another entity).

Really, pulling $100k (or any amount) out of the business is not a taxable event in itself since you pay the tax on the profit in the year earned regardless of whether or not you take a distribution.

It does sound like you may want to chat with your tax accountant to make sure you're in compliance with everything.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.