The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ebay and Alibaba: Fastlane or bust?

beaskew88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 8, 2017
Detroit, Michigan
I know drop shipping is an old tactic, but I don't have that much capital to get started with a business and I want something I can launch now.

I going to create a list of curated watching purchased in bulk from Alibaba and sell them in bulk through eBay. Is this strategy still viable? I'm going to give it a shot because I don't want to bullshit myself and just get stuck in an 'asking for advice' loop but I also want to set some reasonable expectations for this first venture.

Ultimately deal arbitrage is going to be my starting point until I can really generate a side income to invest in something more meaty. If you've done this before and you've got some tips, lay 'em on me. That would be greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TrueCreator97

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 16, 2016
If I were you and starting on a limited budget, I would find the right product (implying need) on Alibaba and sell on Amazon not eBay but only after getting your manufacturer(s) to improve the products. In 2017, there are simply too many people buying and reselling on eCommerce websites without adding any value to the products they import, thus creating an oversupply of needless junk.

Instead of drop shipping, I would start by selling small amounts of the improved product and scaling to bigger quantities. In my experience, most overseas suppliers will not even consider partnering with you for drop shipping until they see you can consistently move their product, not to mention that it's much cheaper for you to sell on your own at first and it dosent have to be time-consuming if you use Amazon's FBA program.

Keep in mind that all your suppliers overseas are slowly figuring out how to sell directly to customers in North America, thus cutting out the need for retailers like you as they can sell cheaper. This IS still a viable option in 2017, but in order to make it, you must stay one step ahead of your suppliers by always improving your products and being in a needful niche to succeed. Otherwise you'll just end up with a bunch of worthless crap that you can't sell.

Check out the links I posted below.

Hope this helps and a big welcome to the forum!

GOLD - Ask me anything about eCommerce (2015+)
How China And Amazon Are Changing The Future Of Retail

beaskew88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 8, 2017
Detroit, Michigan
If I were you and starting on a limited budget, I would find the right product (implying need) on Alibaba and sell on Amazon not eBay but only after getting your manufacturer(s) to improve the products. In 2017, there are simply too many people buying and reselling on eCommerce websites without adding any value to the products they import, thus creating an oversupply of needless junk.

Instead of drop shipping, I would start by selling small amounts of the improved product and scaling to bigger quantities. In my experience, most overseas suppliers will not even consider partnering with you for drop shipping until they see you can consistently move their product, not to mention that it's much cheaper for you to sell on your own at first and it dosent have to be time-consuming if you use Amazon's FBA program.

Keep in mind that all your suppliers overseas are slowly figuring out how to sell directly to customers in North America, thus cutting out the need for retailers like you as they can sell cheaper. This IS still a viable option in 2017, but in order to make it, you must stay one step ahead of your suppliers by always improving your products and being in a needful niche to succeed. Otherwise you'll just end up with a bunch of worthless crap that you can't sell.

Check out the links I posted below.

Hope this helps and a big welcome to the forum!

GOLD - Ask me anything about eCommerce (2015+)
How China And Amazon Are Changing The Future Of Retail

Lots of value here. You definitely helped me rethinking this whole process. Greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FreedomforEarl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 23, 2017
USA
I know drop shipping is an old tactic, but I don't have that much capital to get started with a business and I want something I can launch now.

I going to create a list of curated watching purchased in bulk from Alibaba and sell them in bulk through eBay. Is this strategy still viable? I'm going to give it a shot because I don't want to bullshit myself and just get stuck in an 'asking for advice' loop but I also want to set some reasonable expectations for this first venture.

Ultimately deal arbitrage is going to be my starting point until I can really generate a side income to invest in something more meaty. If you've done this before and you've got some tips, lay 'em on me. That would be greatly appreciated.
I have been selling on Ebay for about 20 years , I make around 15k to 25k per year part time. My brother , there is always things to sell. Yard sales and thrift stores are the best and go down to the State surplus, they always have stuff to buy. I am about to get out of my comfort zone and sell some new items through Facebook and shopify , I have been reading stuff on here for 2 months. One day at a time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.