The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

E-Commerce in Canada NEED ADVICE

Marketing, social media, advertising

Tallphil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 18, 2015
Hello everyone,
I'm currently in the works of launching my first e-commerce business. I'm located in Canada and am contemplating wether or not I should be using FBA to sell my product. I don't have any friends or connections in my area that are doing e-commerce and that are GOOD at it. My product is light-weight (30-100g), easy to ship and isn't fragile. The selling price will range from roughly 29-39$. I want to sell it internationally.

I currently manage a Instagram page with a following of close to 100k people in a specific niche. I believe that this niche goes hand in hand with my product. Considering that I have no experience in E-Commerce, I would appreciate it if some of you could give me your honest opinion on the following:

Would it be a wise decision for me to use FBA and have a lower profit margin as I have no experience with e-commerce?

or

I could use my own landing page as a store where people could buy the product?

Also, if anyone has any tips or advice on running an e-commerce business in Canada it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Phil

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
I would 100% recommend FBA. It's worth sacrificing margin for (you will make it up in volume, and less costs associated with logistics/fullfillment). Check out http://www.fbacanada.ca/ they will help you out with prepping and shipping to Amazon

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Maybe @JAJT could chime in

I recall him having a progress thread when he started selling on ebay

Although you aren't using ebay it is still relevant as you are still having to tackle the same issue of shipping costs

You also have the option of running your own e-com store and sending your product to a 3rd party fulfillment center in the U.S
(I do not know the costs of a private 3rd party vs FBA)

Tallphil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 18, 2015
Maybe @JAJT could chime in

I recall him having a progress thread when he started selling on ebay

Although you aren't using ebay it is still relevant as you are still having to tackle the same issue of shipping costs

You also have the option of running your own e-com store and sending your product to a 3rd party fulfillment center in the U.S
(I do not know the costs of a private 3rd party vs FBA)

Good point, I'll have to check that out.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Thanks for your advice! Are you running an e-commerce business in Canada?

Yes I am. Send me a PM if you want to ask me specific questions about it. But I source from China, have it received by the guys over at http://www.fbacanada.ca/ and they make sure the inventory is okay and ends up in Amazon FBA (in Mississauga)

eCanadian

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 13, 2016
Also, if anyone has any tips or advice on running an e-commerce business in Canada it would be greatly appreciated.

CanadiansInternet.com focuses on online business/eCommerce in Canada. FBA is a great way to "cut your teeth" in eCommerce and to test the market, but I suggest you back that up with your own website ASAP. You don't have to sell from your website right away, but you can start building content, traffic, a mailing list, etc. Just add links to your product on Amazon until you're comfortable selling direct. All the best 2 U!

http://canadiansinternet.com/

IceCreamAction

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 20, 2016
Trinidad and Tobago
I'm also located in Canada and was curious about using FBA here. If one is sourcing direct from China to Canada , such as the guys at fbacanada, then any branding, packaging must be done in China right?

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Interesting this thread came up as I was pondering something. Anyone know if you can sell on Amazon.com to US customers while running a Canadian sellers account on amazon leveraging FBA in Canada? Thanks.

Kevind88

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 8, 2015
Interesting this thread came up as I was pondering something. Anyone know if you can sell on Amazon.com to US customers while running a Canadian sellers account on amazon leveraging FBA in Canada? Thanks.
You'll have to open two separate accounts for US and Canada. I started out with FBA Canada then switched to FBA USA.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
I'm also located in Canada and was curious about using FBA here. If one is sourcing direct from China to Canada , such as the guys at fbacanada, then any branding, packaging must be done in China right?

Not quite sure what they do in terms of branding. My supplier in China, gave me the default artwork for my product (it was an Adobe Photoshop file). I hired someone on Fiverr for like $20 to customize it for my brand. Sent it back to my supplier in China, and when I order from my supplier, it's already branded (packaging, logo on the product, etc.)

You'll have to open two separate accounts for US and Canada. I started out with FBA Canada then switched to FBA USA.

Currently I only sell in FBA Canada.... SUPER eager to try FBA US... any advice transitioning?

Kevind88

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 8, 2015
It's pretty straightforward to register for FBA US now. Amazon will convert your payment from USD to CAD and deposit directly to your Canadian Bank. You might need an EIN # (Corp) or TIN # (Individual) to register for FBA US.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.