The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Driving in the Fastlane starts now – Plan and accountability thread

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Shergill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 31, 2019
So, I read the TMF and unscripted 2 years ago. Like many here I did get inspired to start my own Fastlane journey. I already had my own freelance business and knew I wanted to work for myself.

2 years later that has not happened…

I would say the main factor for this is comfort. I am very lucky (or some could say cursed) in that I can live at home for free at the moment and I have gotten some freelance work which has made me comfortable enough. I picked up MJs new book and I have to say…

it was like a slap back to reality.

I realize I have applied some but not all of the concepts from TMF and Unscripted and have had more of a slowlane mindset these past 2 years. I am not where I wanted to be 2 years ago and if I continue this way, I am not going to be there in 2, 10 or 20 years. So, I am starting a thread to start documenting my process to my end goal of being completely financial free.

Any advice along the way would be much appreciated!

Current Status:

I have a part time job I can work 3 times a week and net in 1800 USD a month. Since I live at home a big portion of that I can save or invest into the business. That gives me 3 evenings and 4 free days that i can work on learning the specialized skill in the beginning.

Execution plan so far following TMF:

Learn a specialized skill – Going to learn Houdini the VFX program

Get clients in that – The next year I want to get some professional clients doing motion graphics or special effects.

Start a Fastlane business – Not sure about this one yet but going to keep coming with updates.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Shergill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 31, 2019
Week 2 Report:

Have started learning the program Houdini and have been able to loan some tutorial series from a friend of mine.

So far having fun learning and seeing the potential this program has. If you know anything about VFX or 3D, what a lot of people are talking about is Blender, Maya, Cinema 4D, and Houdini. Houdini has huge potential in this field and is something I will continue working on.

This week I am going to contact some people in the industry and ask what they do and what techniques and software they use.

If anybody has any advice on "asking for advice", that would be much appreciated!

Shergill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 31, 2019
Week 3-4

Have contacted some in the industry and got some positive response so hoping to meet some of them soon. Have gotten an upgraded desktop computer so I can work on heavier loads and do more complex simulations. I have had RMA the CPU because I think it's defected so will have to wait 1-2 more weeks before I can get that up and running.

In the next few weeks, a friend and I have set up a plan with accountability for learning Houdini. We are gonna focus on 1 topic a week where we have to make a project based on that topic. We also have to render out a scene from that project. So might be posting some of those here too to document my progress.

All in all, excited for the coming months.

Book update: Almost done with MJs book "Escaping the rat race".

Shergill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 31, 2019
Update #4

So far, so good. These past months I have been improving my Side FX Houdini skills and knowledge. The process is long to get proficient at this program but it's getting there slowly. I also finished The Great Rat-Race Escape a while back now, and I have to say I really enjoyed the book. In so far as how it is going on my fastlane journey i am seeing progress, but as far as clients go i am not sure how long it will be until i feel good enought to take them on.

I am quitting my part time job wich i mentioned above at the end of this year so then it will just be freelancing that i got left.

Recently though i have a potential job offering. Its in the IT sector and would only be for 1 year. So i am in a bit of a crossroads. Should just go full time in for learning and getting clients in Houdini or take the full time job and do Houdini in my spare time.

I know a lot of you had a full time job and started you fastlane bussiness as a side hustle wich eventually grew so that is one road to take. But ofcourse less time will be diverted to my real end goal.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice i would appricate it!

Will come back with what happens later.

Hitch-hiker

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 23, 2019
Poland
1800usd with free housing is not too bad in terms of having time to learn new skills, don't you think?
Maybe you could push harder with 3 days of work VS as a full time employee.
Where do you advertise yourself as a freelancer?

Shergill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 31, 2019
1800usd with free housing is not too bad in terms of having time to learn new skills, don't you think?
Maybe you could push harder with 3 days of work VS as a full time employee.
Where do you advertise yourself as a freelancer?
You are right! It was pretty good for learning a new skill. But I felt too comfortable and in the past and now that has made me lazy. I am very lucky to have great parents that I can live with for free with but at the same time I don't want to lean on them to much.

A bit of an update: I took the full time job offer and I am now living by myself. Its weird because even though now I have less free time I do feel more free about being able to provide for myself and live on my own. After work and in the weekends I am working on developing my skills. Now its all about time management and getting in good habits to stay consistent.

As a freelancer I am not advertising myself for now. Want to grow a bit more as an artist.

Are you a freelancer Hitch-hiker? or what do you do for business if I may ask?

Sorry for late reply. Lot of changes happened and the forum went to the back of my mind.

Last edited:

Hitch-hiker

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 23, 2019
Poland
You are right! It was pretty good for learning a new skill. But I felt too comfortable and in the past and now that has made me lazy. I am very lucky to have great parents that I can live with for free with but at the same time I don't want to lean on them to much.

A bit of an update: I took the full time job offer and I am now living by myself. Its weird because even though now I have less free time I do feel more free about being able to provide for myself and live on my own. After work and in the weekends I am working on developing my skills. Now its all about time management and getting in good habits to stay consistent.

As a freelancer I am not advertising myself for now. Want to grow a bit more as an artist.

Are you a freelancer Hitch-hiker? or what do you do for business if I may ask?

Sorry for late reply. Lot of changes happened and the forum went to the back of my mind.
Good for you! Congrats!

I'm freelancing, but it's more like side hustle and I'm not able to live with only freelancing money. I want to take it to another level in next few months - that's why I asked about advertising.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.