The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Driven To Be Location Independent / "Not Another Web Agency"

Nomads

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 3, 2014
This is why any time someone on this forum says, "going into digital marketing is for retards!" or "digital marketing is such a trap! You're stupid!" I laugh my a$$ off while closing their thread.

There are 100 billion "digital marketing agencies" in existence but 99% of them are pure shit and aren't legitimate competition. They simply had the balls to say, "F*ck it, let's go for it."

It's actually been a blessing. While I hate to see business owners getting ripped off by these terrible companies, it's truly helped us build a loyal client base.

When clients see the difference in the quality of our work, and especially our customer service, they fall in love with it. Most of our clients up-sell themselves at this point as they give us more work by the day.

We've simply set out to HELP people and provide real SOLUTIONS and it's paying off big time for us.

Fully agree with this.

The UK is grey, cold, and wet most of the year. After a 3-month trip to Cyprus a few years back, I was grateful for the cooler reprieve upon my return, but the lack of sunlight and blue skies is a mood/productivity killer.

At least for me, that is.

There are plenty of folks who love the cold. Hell, one of my best mates rejoices every time winter returns.

I know a lot of people like that too. During the brief Canadian summer, they spend each day praying for darkness and cold. Then they complain about feeling tired and depressed all winter. I don't get it.

Cyprus was on my list as well given the beneficial tax setup possible there. Did you decide not to set up there for any specific reason?

Still trying to figure out the best tax situation. Portugal does have some beneficial tax benefits for expats that work a normal job, but they get tricky for business owners.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jan 18, 2022
It's actually been a blessing. While I hate to see business owners getting ripped off by these terrible companies, it's truly helped us build a loyal client base.

When clients see the difference in the quality of our work, and especially our customer service, they fall in love with it. Most of our clients up-sell themselves at this point as they give us more work by the day.

We've simply set out to HELP people and provide real SOLUTIONS and it's paying off big time for us.
It's the most beautifully unfortunate aspect of it all, especially if you're in the space. It sucks hearing the stories of people getting burned, and it sucks being occasionally treated like poop because of it. But it's wonderful in that we have the opportunity to completely morph their experience(s) and perspective, as well as provide them with a legitimate path to growing their business(es).

You've nailed it though. If you genuinely aim for excellence, it reflects in your work, and you suddenly realize how small your "competition" actually is. I'm baffled by how many people are in digital marketing and aren't making 6 figures per year as a baseline. So much so I've convinced myself to step out of my shell and begin creating content, haha.

Anyway, kudos on everything y'all have accomplished, and I'm excited to see more!

Cheers.

DWX

Getting on with it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Nov 19, 2015
UK
Cyprus was on my list as well given the beneficial tax setup possible there. Did you decide not to set up there for any specific reason?

Still trying to figure out the best tax situation. Portugal does have some beneficial tax benefits for expats that work a normal job, but they get tricky for business owners.
I first went there in 2018 for three months. The goal was to just check it out and get a "feel" for the place as, like you, I was attracted by their favourable tax regimes.

Personally, I loved it despite the unbearable heat at times and lack of regulations around noise/building sites (lesson: before committing to a lease, make sure there is no nearby construction of any kind). It has a growing digital nomad scene, English is widely spoken and used in legal docs, the food is great, and internet speeds are solid.

My girlfriend and I planned to make the move out there in 2019 but life happened, and it got pushed to March 2020.

Sadly, just two days into our second trip, Covid hit, lockdowns ensued, and ultimately, we had to head back to the UK as immigration centres were closed and we were at risk of overstaying the 90-day rule.

It sucked.

Long story short: Cyprus made it impossible for unvaxinated people to enter the country and subsequently, the Brexit withdrawal came to pass, and we lost our ability to settle there freely. We've explored their visas, but that has proven challenging for us at the moment.

(Hence why our focus is now on Portugal.)

While the NHR scheme is appealing, after those initial 10 years are over, it doesn't hold a candle to Cyprus' tax system. And from what I've heard, setting up company structures in Cyprus is not just favourable, but straightforward too.

I've gone the long way around saying Cyprus is awesome and I'd likely be there now if it wasn't for the aforementioned events. That said, it wasn't without its flaws (like all places).

But from my early research, Portugal, especially the Algarve, is appealing to me.

Nomads

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 3, 2014
While the NHR scheme is appealing, after those initial 10 years are over, it doesn't hold a candle to Cyprus' tax system. And from what I've heard, setting up company structures in Cyprus is not just favourable, but straightforward too.

I've gone the long way around saying Cyprus is awesome and I'd likely be there now if it wasn't for the aforementioned events. That said, it wasn't without its flaws (like all places).

But from my early research, Portugal, especially the Algarve, is appealing to me.

That is my concern as well, unfortunately after your time within the NHR runs out you are subjected to a brutal tax rate.

They just recently launched a "streamlined" process to open a business here, but knowing how the bureaucracy works here on a day to day I highly doubt it is very simple. That's the one major downside to the country, everything takes 10x longer and is made 10x more difficult but dated processes and the government's refusal to modernize.

Other than that I really do not have anything bad to say about the country, specifically the Algarve.

There is a thriving digital nomad scene down in the Algarve as well. If you make it down this way definitely reach out to me!

DWX

Getting on with it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Nov 19, 2015
UK
That is my concern as well, unfortunately after your time within the NHR runs out you are subjected to a brutal tax rate.

They just recently launched a "streamlined" process to open a business here, but knowing how the bureaucracy works here on a day to day I highly doubt it is very simple. That's the one major downside to the country, everything takes 10x longer and is made 10x more difficult but dated processes and the government's refusal to modernize.

Other than that I really do not have anything bad to say about the country, specifically the Algarve.

There is a thriving digital nomad scene down in the Algarve as well. If you make it down this way definitely reach out to me!
Yeah, their tax rates aren't pleasant. But I guess that's a can you can kick down the road for the time being.

For sure I'll take you up on that should I make it down there. Cheers!

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
@DWX Have you looked at Gibraltar? It's a UK territory so technically no visa issues etc...

DWX

Getting on with it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Nov 19, 2015
UK
@DWX Have you looked at Gibraltar? It's a UK territory so technically no visa issues etc...
I've been to Gib a couple of times, but it's a bit too built up for me.

Doesn't help a gigantic rock takes up half of it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.