The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dreamweaver???

onialex1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 8, 2012
Baltimore MD
Hello everyone,

I would really like your input on this topic guys. I am looking to create my own website and a friend of mine recommended Dreamweaver. Now i have been working at learning Dreamweaver over the past few weeks and have learnt quite a lot but a lot of people keep saying that its not 'professional' to use Dreamweaver to create my website. They said its best that i learn php and html instead. I am really confused about this. Do i keep learning Dreamweaver or do i skip it and start learning html and php instead. Please advise me.

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fpena911

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 11, 2012
Hello everyone,

I would really like your input on this topic guys. I am looking to create my own website and a friend of mine recommended Dreamweaver. Now i have been working at learning Dreamweaver over the past few weeks and have learnt quite a lot but a lot of people keep saying that its not 'professional' to use Dreamweaver to create my website. They said its best that i learn php and html instead. I am really confused about this. Do i keep learning Dreamweaver or do i skip it and start learning html and php instead. Please advise me.

Thank you.

Well they are both right and wrong.

Dreamweaver is similar to Microsoft Word where you can either start typing something on a blank canvas or begin with a template.

If you start on the blank canvas you will absolutely be using PHP and HTML but what I like about Dreamweaver is that it will let you see what you're developing on the fly.

If you decide to use a template then the software will do some of the heavy lifting for you but to make any modifications you still need to have some knowledge of PHP/HTML.

So either way you're learning but you will not want to use Dreamweaver's automated features too much as it will become a crutch for you. Overall though I do prefer to use this platform when I'm working on web pages as it is superior to just using a plain old text editor or word processor.

onialex1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 8, 2012
Baltimore MD
Ok. thanks a lot for your input. Much appreciated.

sammich

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Nov 16, 2011
dreamweaver is really intended for web design stuff. yes you can still use it for programming languages but i would not advise it.
get IDE's that support whatever programming language your working with. Eclipse & netbeans are popular open source options.

creating websites using programming languages like php will make your sites dynamic, if that's what your going for.
at that point, learning html and css are a must and you'll eventually run across javascript/jquery for additional client side functionalities.

Nandeesh

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Oct 19, 2012
Onialex1,

Well, first you should be clear on the intent of designing your site. Whether you are just going to put up couple of pages or you intend to update/ publish content regularly on the website. Using dreamweaver definitely you can build a beautiful static website, but when it comes to regularly publishing content on the internet its a very painful process. In that case you may need to opt for content management systems(CMS's) like wordpress or joomla which are written using PHP. These opensource CMS's help you to easily publish and manage content. Open source community also provides thousands of free extensions, which allows you to extend functionality of your website with couple of mouse clicks.

onialex1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 8, 2012
Baltimore MD
dreamweaver is really intended for web design stuff. yes you can still use it for programming languages but i would not advise it.
get IDE's that support whatever programming language your working with. Eclipse & netbeans are popular open source options.

creating websites using programming languages like php will make your sites dynamic, if that's what your going for.
at that point, learning html and css are a must and you'll eventually run across javascript/jquery for additional client side functionalities.

Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it.

pdog

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 22, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I've built over 15 sites in my days internet marketing, and to be honest when starting to build out a site I've NEVER had the idea of "oh I need to go and get Dreamweaver".

I think you need to be clear on what the purpose of your site is.

You will be in the Fastlane much quicker if you put up a quick and dirty (and free) wordpress site with a nice theme, and get some useful content on it that targets your problem, solution, and niche.

Once you're making $1k/month, go and hire someone from odesk/freelance/guru/whatever to make your site look better... but even then don't make it pretty but make it convert.

Just my 2c of tough love re Dreamweaver :)

Cheers.

-Peter

onialex1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 8, 2012
Baltimore MD
I've built over 15 sites in my days internet marketing, and to be honest when starting to build out a site I've NEVER had the idea of "oh I need to go and get Dreamweaver".

I think you need to be clear on what the purpose of your site is.

You will be in the Fastlane much quicker if you put up a quick and dirty (and free) wordpress site with a nice theme, and get some useful content on it that targets your problem, solution, and niche.

Once you're making $1k/month, go and hire someone from odesk/freelance/guru/whatever to make your site look better... but even then don't make it pretty but make it convert.

Just my 2c of tough love re Dreamweaver :)

Cheers.

-Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your input. The website i am looking to build is for international students who are currently in the US or are looking to come and study here. There will be opportunities for registered members to post questions or reply to others. I am an international student myself and i would like to help other students who might have questions to ask regarding what its like to study in America. I also intend to upload a couple of videos as well on the site that will cover different topics. Hope this gives you a better understanding of the kind of website i am looking to build. What would you recommend? please if anyone else reads this post and wants to advice me, please do so.
Thank you.

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
Dreamweaver is just another tool. If you are designing and coding complex sites, than it'll suit you well. There are numerous features that you get in Dreamweaver that you just don't get in a normal text editor, or some API's. If you don't need them, or use them, then Dreamweaver is a waste of money.

jacob

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Nov 21, 2011
In my opinion learning Dreamweaver is a lot easier to use in making a website than learning HTML and PHP coding. In Dreamweaver you can see the output at the same time do coding. However, if you want an advance learning on making a website the you should start learning HTML and PHP.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Dreamweaver isn't really going to help you at all unless you know what it's used for. Get your plan together first. If you don't know how to code, get your money together and outsource a rough design of it. $500~ max to code a sample site.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
As someone that just started using Dreamweaver for my website, I can say that it really is a fantastic piece of software. I've used alternatives like Notepad++ and they don't even come close. However I could also see Dreamweaver being very confusing for you if you aren't down with HTML and CSS at the very least. In my case, I already knew HTML fine and CSS enough to get by, plus I've purchased a reference book as well.

It seems like Dreamweaver could be overwhelming if you don't know what you're doing. If you've got a roughly solid base knowledge like I did though, the thing that Dreamweaver is really good at is making someone that's average like me create sites that looks more advanced in half the time it would take in something like Notepad++. Keep in mind I just started my Fastlane venture of a website on October 29th and started using Dreamweaver that same day so this is all impressions I've gotten in like the past week.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.