The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dream cities (or towns) to live in?

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Hello fastlaners,

I've been thinking about this for a long while and I often dream about the future. I do want to make it happen and it will. But it doesn't hurt to wonder about things and play with your thoughts once in a while.

I know some of you live in NYC, Miami, and out in the west coast like in Southern California, Phoenix or whatever.

To some of you, owning a Lambo is your statement of "Because I Can".

To some of you, owning a nice house is your statement of "Because I Can".

Or even living in a certain way.

However, to me? Being able to live in a VERY nice location because I can is my Lambo. Being able to wake up in the morning and asking myself, "Is this real?" and to pinch myself is my version of being high. I would love to remain in North America because it's my home and all (with vacations out of the country whenever possible).

Personally, I love the warm weather, palm trees and young people since I'm 25. I wouldn't mind the cold weather IF other conditions make up for it.

However, to those who is aiming for the top (or is already there): what's your dream location within the constraints of North America? Is San Diego pretty nice? How about Santa Barbara, CA? Or even Manhattan NYC? Hawaii? Or even San Francisco? Heck, maybe there's some small towns (or gems) that we aren't aware of!

Maybe we can reference to this thread once in a while to get some ideas.

Tier 1 (Big Cities):
New York City, NY
Boston, MA
San Francisco, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Las Vegas, NV

Tier 2 (Medium-sized Cities):
Austin, TX
Albuquerque, NM
Scottsdale, AZ
Santa Barbara, CA (Goleta, Montecito, Carpenteria)
San Diego, CA
Laguna Beach, CA
Charleston, SC
Asheville, NC
La Jolla, CA

Tier 3 (Smaller Cities):
Port Aransas, TX
Crested Butte, CO
The Woodlands, TX (Carlton Woods)
Hawaiian Islands
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

x9vjzs098u123rnl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 23, 2009
USA
Boston :))

Boston has a small but rapidly growing innovation district of startups, accelerators, and community resources, right on the waterfront. Mayor Menino (although he'll be resigning soon) is incredibly supportive of entrepreneurship, and the number of entrepreneurship-championing universities in the city (both undergrad and graduate) make the city a pretty exciting place to be right now.

Besides entrepreneurship, Boston is a strong city with proud citizens, safer and cleaner than NYC or Chicago, great public transportation, etc. etc. etc.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
That's fast! Thanks guys. :)

And whenever this thread gets big enough, I'll keep editing the main post above and make a list.

Tier 1 Cities = Big
Tier 2 Cities = Medium
Tier 3 Cities = Small

Grouping them according to sizes.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Mine is Bangkok "Because I can"

I love it here. I recently moved back after I quit my job. I'd love to move to Hong Kong for a couple of years if I feel it can benefit the business I'm pursuing at that time but my long term goal is to spend +60% of my time on an island out here. I've got many in mind so there's no need to really list them. Island hopping is the goal.

Edit: I'd like to spend at least 10% of my time on the island in my avatar - Koh Pha Ngan

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have my sights set on Crested Butte CO and Carlton Woods in The Woodlands, TX. I would trade Carlton Woods for Scottsdale though. About the 2 best golf towns in the US.

The only other place I'd want is a yacht that can travel the world.

nextgen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 21, 2013
Long Island, NY
I live on Long Island however, I am in NYC for the majority of my time. My dream place isn't an exact place but an idea, I would like to live in a small town with less then a thousand people and be able to know the people that I pass. I know this isn't what most people want and in fact most want the opposite. But I am getting sick of the big city life.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Quick question guys: is NYC, San Fran, or Los Angeles a bit overrated as "Dream Cities" or what?

Extremely populated, sure but it seems like the reason why people, at times, seem to dislike it there is because mainly they can't afford rent (and living like slowlaners). Take that outta the way and the experience would be tremendously better. Would that be true? And on the plus side, you have everything you could ever want there and all the connections too.

And I googled a couple of cities above and man, so beautiful.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Each person's dream place is different. Your wish list is a little short. The more you can articulate your interests, the better.

Stuff like:
Good coffee
Live theater
Low crime
Excellent library
Political leanings
Major airport proximity
Whatever your must haves are

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We are heading to our dream spot this Fall. Hawaiian islands.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Monaco

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Each person's dream place is different. Your wish list is a little short. The better you can articulate your interests, the better.

Stuff like:
Good coffee
Live theater
Low crime
Excellent library
Political leanings
Major airport proximity
Whatever your must haves are

Ah, thanks for the advice!

Actually, I'm gonna follow you up on that right below:

1. Stable weather
2. At least warm all year around
3. Young and vibrant
4. Low crime
5. Good restaurants (I love food)
6. Artistically creative
7. Friendly
8. Beautiful environment in its own right
9. Intelligent and insightful citizens

Prices is of no objection and a specific city/town doesn't need to apply everything above but most would be nice. Sounds like Seattle, Austin, San Francisco and Arizona (Scottsdale, Phoenix) are good matches. Or mostly any states in the west, southwest or southeast, really. Maybe even in the east like Boston and NYC (Manhattan).

Seems like the things you've listed are your preferences for a "Dream City"?

Amazing. :) Take a pic when you get there?

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Seems like the things you've listed are your preferences for a "Dream City"?

No, not mine necessarily, but doing the exercise does make one think about the big picture.

What about stuff like
water
Potable water
Power
Reliable power
Food supply
Stable government
Medical resources
Freedom from disease
People not shooting at you

Deciding whether Santa Barbara is ideal is a wonderful first world problem to have. :) (Don't forget nearby Goleta, Montecito, Carpenteria, etc).

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Wow...Sir...what a fun thread this is. Thanks.

Hey Vig...I've often heard the locals love the tourists but don't like when people move there. Is this true ?

My Wife and I have been talking about where to move in the next 3yrs. We're in the Detroit burbs. Our neighborhood is great...but I did start a Neighborhood Watch. (too close to Detroit) I definitely want a place where one isn't needed.

I'm just going to follow this thread and get some places to 'scout'.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Wow...Sir...what a fun thread this is. Thanks.

Hey Vig...I've often heard the locals love the tourists but don't like when people move there. Is this true ?

My Wife and I have been talking about where to move in the next 3yrs. We're in the Detroit burbs. Our neighborhood is great...but I did start a Neighborhood Watch. (too close to Detroit) I definitely want a place where one isn't needed.

I'm just going to follow this thread and get some places to 'scout'.

The opposite is more typical. They don't mind it when mainlanders move there… But they have distain for tourists. However, they know their entire economy is dependent on tourism.

If you move there, it takes a few years to make friends as they want to be sure you will stay first before they make the investment. There are also large groups of mainlanders that tend to group together.

Also some decent private schools, etc... specifically comprised of mainlanders.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
941%
Jun 7, 2008
Detroit.

(....ouch, too soon? ;))

G

GuestUser8117

I don't think I will move in the united states. Except if it's in Hawaii. But I've been to Naples 2 times in Florida and I loved it.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Guys, if there's one thing that I gathered from this thread and would give a single advice based on such, it is this: don't let anyone tell you that it's impossible to live wherever you want.

Stamp that beautiful image into your mind, that gorgeous location that you want to live in the future, point a picture of it at your computer screen on Google and say, "I'm GOING to live there regardless how long it takes me." For YEARS, it has been my goal to reach California. I've asked my parents for YEARS to visit there on a summer vacation, never did. Well, I'm going there under my power because I can.

Related to this but when I looked at myself at almost 500 pounds roughly 3 years ago, I decided that I WILL be 200 pounds, I will wear those awesome clothes from any regular store, I will look amazing, I will feel amazing, I will be healthy, I will be capable. Well, here I am at 218 lbs. Not over yet but damn close.

Empower yourself, y'all.

Look at this image below, don't scoff at it, don't say, "yea yea yea" but TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY.

This can happen.

Scottsdale2-Website.jpg

Scottsdale AZ is beautiful, wow. No idea until now.

And here's an awesome video below that demonstrates a part of my point; how does it feel to not be the guy you wanna be because you can't afford to? It's like asking: how does it feel not being the guy you wanna be because you're 500 lbs?

[video=youtube;Q4SSd9jwEtI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4SSd9jwEtI[/video]

UGH, it makes more motivated than ever because all I got... are pictures of that location. Need to make it into a reality. Anyone else ever feel this way?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Guys, if there's one thing that I gathered from this thread and would give a single advice based on such, it is this: don't let anyone tell you that it's impossible to live wherever you want.

Words to live by. There are a lot of idiots out there who laugh when people talk about private jets, yachts, huge houses. They are typically the people that think that a job is the only way to make money. It amazes me how after 50 years of working a job they still don't understand they are making someone else rich. Someone they probably don't even know. Be that person.

These things are available for purchase. Why? Because people buy them. Why the hell not me?

I encourage you all to get the F*ck rid of anyone who thinks this is impossible. It isn't.

Capital

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 16, 2013
Boston :))

Boston has a small but rapidly growing innovation district of startups, accelerators, and community resources, right on the waterfront. Mayor Menino (although he'll be resigning soon) is incredibly supportive of entrepreneurship, and the number of entrepreneurship-championing universities in the city (both undergrad and graduate) make the city a pretty exciting place to be right now.

Besides entrepreneurship, Boston is a strong city with proud citizens, safer and cleaner than NYC or Chicago, great public transportation, etc. etc. etc.
Not to mention some great schools

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA

Visiting or moving permanently? Which islands? I've been to Maui and "The Big Island" - I liked Maui much better but I would love to visit Oahu, Molokai and Kauai.

To the OP:
I have quite a few because I hope to own multiple homes that I rotate living in throughout the year:

Some sort of island house/villa:
- Bora Bora
- Fiji
- Maldives
- Belize
- St. Maarten - I've actually been to St. Maarten once before. We stayed in a villa way up on the hill overlooking the ocean. The view was the best I've ever seen (Trumping any cruise I've been on, Hawaii, Jamaica, and Mexico). Plus the villa was amazing, had a huge tile deck with a standalone bathroom with a shaded couch area, couches in the sun, and an infinity pool. By far my favorite spot yet.
- Anguilla

Some sort of mountain/ski house:
- Whistler & Blackomb in British Colombia. I've been here 3 times and it's amazing. Beautiful view and two great mountains for skiing. The town is a ton of fun with lot's of good shopping and good restaurants. Couldn't pick another for this category.

A city house/apartment:
- New York City - A nice big loft or penthouse preferably - obviously it will be VERY expensive, but I think having a week or two in the city throughout the year wouldn't be all too bad

Yacht:
- A big yacht to take wherever I please. Location really doesn't matter in this scenario

A non-city US home:
- Michigan - Either in Bloomfield Hills so that my kids are able to go to my same school, or on Lake Michigan to have jetskis and a sports boat for fun.
- California - Up in the mountains over looking the ocean, or directly on the ocean.

An International (But on a continent rather than an island) home:
- Monaco
- Libson, Portugal
- Somewhere in Greece or in the Mediterranean where I could have access to the ocean.

That's all I came up with for now. My sights are set high, chuckle at me if you wish!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Visiting or moving permanently? Which islands? I've been to Maui and "The Big Island" - I liked Maui much better but I would love to visit Oahu, Molokai and Kauai.

To the OP:
I have quite a few because I hope to own multiple homes that I rotate living in throughout the year:

Some sort of island house/villa:
- Bora Bora
- Fiji
- Maldives
- Belize
- St. Maarten - I've actually been to St. Maarten once before. We stayed in a villa way up on the hill overlooking the ocean. The view was the best I've ever seen (Trumping any cruise I've been on, Hawaii, Jamaica, and Mexico). Plus the villa was amazing, had a huge tile deck with a standalone bathroom with a shaded couch area, couches in the sun, and an infinity pool. By far my favorite spot yet.
- Anguilla

Some sort of mountain/ski house:
- Whistler & Blackomb in British Colombia. I've been here 3 times and it's amazing. Beautiful view and two great mountains for skiing. The town is a ton of fun with lot's of good shopping and good restaurants. Couldn't pick another for this category.

A city house/apartment:
- New York City - A nice big loft or penthouse preferably - obviously it will be VERY expensive, but I think having a week or two in the city throughout the year wouldn't be all too bad

Yacht:
- A big yacht to take wherever I please. Location really doesn't matter in this scenario

A non-city US home:
- Michigan - Either in Bloomfield Hills so that my kids are able to go to my same school, or on Lake Michigan to have jetskis and a sports boat for fun.
- California - Up in the mountains over looking the ocean, or directly on the ocean.

An International (But on a continent rather than an island) home:
- Monaco
- Libson, Portugal
- Somewhere in Greece or in the Mediterranean where I could have access to the ocean.

That's all I came up with for now. My sights are set high, chuckle at me if you wish!

That is a shit load of houses. Im not saying you can't but I don't think you'll really want that many. Kind of a stuff owns you type of situation.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
That is a shit load of houses. Im not saying you can't but I don't think you'll really want that many. Kind of a stuff owns you type of situation.

Not sure if I will own all 6 during the same time period, will probably own some then sell them and get new ones. But I know what you mean, I would have to hire staff to take car of them year round while I'm not even there.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Not sure if I will own all 6 during the same time period, will probably own some then sell them and get new ones. But I know what you mean, I would have to hire staff to take car of them year round while I'm not even there.

Makes sense. I will probably go to crested butte here in the next few years. I will want to go somewhere else within 5 years. Im not going to keep the house.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Heard tons of people rave about Austin for sure, San Diego also. Personally, I have yet to check either of these out. I was also interested in Florida. Probably a bunch of older people there, but I think this would be an awesome place to live?

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Here's a cool idea of a lifestyle that I have in mind: every few years/months, I'll pack my bags and move to a different location, get myself to take leaps and disrupt my rhythm every once in a while. Kinda like one of those traveling entrepreneurs or bloggers, except in the States.

Don't buy houses but rent them, move in and then unload for a bit. In a few or many months (depending on how much I like the area), pack and ship out. After all, if we do change jobs every year, change grades in school every so often, why not do this with homes/location?

Once you stay for a certain amount of time at a job, location or whatever, you've been branded and your experience will plateau. Why not move and disrupt that rhythm before you hit that plateau? So, when you move into that new city, no one will know you from 2, 5, 10 years ago -- GREAT. Make new connections, reform your identity, etc. Force yourself to evolve every so often with new experiences.

So like, when you don't have to move, it's time to look for a place. When you don't need a new job, it's time to look for a new one. When you don't need to sell your business, time to think of a new startup.

Also, an interest of mine is traveling, so why not live like a traveler and not be committed to a specific area?

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
My wife and I love Charleston SC. I would love to have a house downtown in one of the nice neighborhoods. Walking distance to all the best food and shopping, quick drive to the beach and fishing. This would probably be our winter destination; not super hot like Florida, but stays in the 50's.

Here is a pic of Charleston:
charleston-battery-historic-homes-vanessa-kauffmann.jpg

For a summer location; I guess it depends where family is. If I am not taking family into consideration, I would like to live near the mountains; probably either Asheville NC or somewhere like it. Good downtown, lots of art and theater, good food, but only a couple minutes to great mountains, fly fishing, and hiking. House would not be in downtown, but ideally on a nice stream with a good mountain view, within 20ish minutes of downtown.

Here is Asheville NC:
asheville-photos.jpg

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I don't put much into "ideal" city... since all cities are the same to me pretty much (weird, but true...), it depends on if I could make money in that city. But if I were to say a city where I would live in, REGARDLESS OF MONEY. I love the buffets they have there, the restaurants, hotels, casinos, night life, day life....

Las Vegas.

I could live there tomorrow if I wanted (with ease), but it's not the ideal city for me right now. Plus I rather see "new" cities, since I been there like 5 times already.

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
Hello fastlaners,

I've been thinking about this for a long while and I often dream about the future. I do want to make it happen and it will. But it doesn't hurt to wonder about things and play with your thoughts once in a while.

I know some of you live in NYC, Miami, and out in the west coast like in Southern California, Phoenix or whatever.

To some of you, owning a Lambo is your statement of "Because I Can".

To some of you, owning a nice house is your statement of "Because I Can".

Or even living in a certain way.

However, to me? Being able to live in a VERY nice location because I can is my Lambo. Being able to wake up in the morning and asking myself, "Is this real?" and to pinch myself is my version of being high. I would love to remain in North America because it's my home and all (with vacations out of the country whenever possible).

Personally, I love the warm weather, palm trees and young people since I'm 25. I wouldn't mind the cold weather IF other conditions make up for it.

However, to those who is aiming for the top (or is already there): what's your dream location within the constraints of North America? Is San Diego pretty nice? How about Santa Barbara, CA? Or even Manhattan NYC? Hawaii? Or even San Francisco? Heck, maybe there's some small towns (or gems) that we aren't aware of!

Maybe we can reference to this thread once in a while to get some ideas.

If your thinking about California, I live close to LA, Hollywood, San Diego etcs.

The best places for millionaires

1. San Francisco
2. LA
3. La Jolla
4. Laguna Beach(personal fav)
5. Santa Barbra

I dream of a big house on the cliffs in Laguna beach

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders