The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does wealth help health and longevity?

RichieG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 27, 2018
How important is health and does it come down to wealth?

We all like reading MJ's works and I assume we are all hear for one reason. To make money fast. However, this may take 1,5,10 years. Just think of the stories we have heard from current millys and billys. " When i started off I ate jam sandwiches, pasta, spam,59 cents hamburgers etc etc ( anyything cheap and not necessary nutritious )

In this time what are we dooing to our bodies. The question I am asking is should we always take care of our bodies or wait till we have wealth.

So the question I have is: Is organic food the way forward for all families? No growth hormones, less pesticides and bred more naturally. ( I have read reports about the differences between organic and standard meat/veg and the "experts" say and majority/reports say no real difference. We are getting taller and fatter ( the latter due to diet ) but if they are injecting growth hormones into meat and spraying veg and fruit for pesticides surely this sh&t is no good for us in the long term?

If someone is going to be wealthy surely we want to stack things in our favour and live as long as possible? Stuff can happen which you can't predict but surely you want to stack the chips in your pile?

For a family of 5 our organic food bill is $900 per month.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hijena1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 1, 2018
Germany
For me personaly healt its one of top priorities,what can you do if you are not healty? You know what they say: " sick man has only one wish". Eating healty food, cooking and training are part of my life for 6 years now. Sometimes, I have to admit it's hard to keep up when you have a lot to do, but not impossible.

To anybody outhere : PLEASE COOK you are going to save tone of money, have more energy, be healthier and its more delicious. Also you are going to feel proud of yourself.

Healthfulness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Oct 7, 2018
Denmark
Health is my top priority and and my career will be build around this topic. It's hard to measure the effect of low quality food and lack of exercise while you are young, but long term effect could strike with numerous health problems that will make you unable to create wealth. Since I started working on my first business I singnificantly reduced my spendings, but I pay serious attention to my food being healthy, organic etc. as If my health will drop, then my effort or even ability in building my business will drop too. I rather pay 20% more for food now, than after 10 or 20 years pay for medicine and doctor bills which still doesn't guarantee health.
Exercise is as imporant as food, make sure you do atleast some basic stretching and cardio, in perfect case including some strength training as It will prevent you from injuries in the long term.
Actually living/ eating healthy is not expensive, 1 kilo of organic oranges might cost more than non-organic, but It costs around the same as 2 liters of Fanta, will last longer and actually has beneficial nutrients. I spend literary twice less than my university classmates and I bet I eat twice more healthy.
Anyway, rather pay that extra to keep you healthy than years or decades later pour all your money in doctors and pharmacy pockets and hope that It will help you.
900$ per month is 180$ per person a month, do you really think that It should be lowered, that It's too much? I believe in this case don't try to reduce spending, but increase the income.

RichieG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 27, 2018
Health is my top priority and and my career will be build around this topic. It's hard to measure the effect of low quality food and lack of exercise while you are young, but long term effect could strike with numerous health problems that will make you unable to create wealth. Since I started working on my first business I singnificantly reduced my spendings, but I pay serious attention to my food being healthy, organic etc. as If my health will drop, then my effort or even ability in building my business will drop too. I rather pay 20% more for food now, than after 10 or 20 years pay for medicine and doctor bills which still doesn't guarantee health.
Exercise is as imporant as food, make sure you do atleast some basic stretching and cardio, in perfect case including some strength training as It will prevent you from injuries in the long term.
Actually living/ eating healthy is not expensive, 1 kilo of organic oranges might cost more than non-organic, but It costs around the same as 2 liters of Fanta, will last longer and actually has beneficial nutrients. I spend literary twice less than my university classmates and I bet I eat twice more healthy.
Anyway, rather pay that extra to keep you healthy than years or decades later pour all your money in doctors and pharmacy pockets and hope that It will help you.
900$ per month is 180$ per person a month, do you really think that It should be lowered, that It's too much? I believe in this case don't try to reduce spending, but increase the income.

I am in your camp all day long. I was just curious to gather other people's opinions. $900 for our family high quality fuel I believe is exceptional value. $30 dollars a day - yes we cook home made food but at least we know what is in it. For $30 I guess we could get a Family KFC Bucket and a few sides each day!

RichieG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 27, 2018
For me personaly healt its one of top priorities,what can you do if you are not healty? You know what they say: " sick man has only one wish". Eating healty food, cooking and training are part of my life for 6 years now. Sometimes, I have to admit it's hard to keep up when you have a lot to do, but not impossible.

To anybody outhere : PLEASE COOK you are going to save tone of money, have more energy, be healthier and its more delicious. Also you are going to feel proud of yourself.

Thanks for the post hijena1. It takes time, discipline and a little skill to cook your own food all the time. Its amazing how breakfast = cereal lunch = sandwich dinner = spagethhi bolognaise has at some point been one of the staples of all our lives. The sugar/carb combo we have all consumed is scary and I wish we had taken these steps earlier.

We have been using organic for a while now and one personally I will try and educate our children with. As I believe as the world gets bigger and food will need to be "made" faster and cheaper which usually = not good.

Do you use organic?

Hijena1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 1, 2018
Germany
I really can't tell you is that a good value because i don't know what are "living costs" in your rural area, besides I live in Germany right now spending about 500€ on food for two persons.
Well i do buy organic, because I moved from Croatia to Germany and back at home we have animals and big garden so i didnt know what organic was, only natural.
Here its hard to find such quality and freshness but still I buy from farmers especially eggs, paying 3x the price but its worth it. There are so much Bio and Organic products right now and I dont believe that all of them are good (just do your research).
If you can please grow your own vegetables especially if you have kids, + great skill to teach them + more money saving and its fun.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
what good is being rich if you are not healthy?

I do exercise 7 days a week without fail and make sure my diet is good, obviously im not perfect but health is darn important.

Gotta look after your vehicle.

Areding

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 12, 2018
Of course, money simplifies life, if prosperity allows, we can afford to buy more organic food, more diverse, which is full of different vitamins.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I think there to too much variation to have a consistent trend. I would say being wealthy gives you all the resources you need to live healthy - but it’s up to the person.

On the flip side being particularly poor is going to limit you to decent food, health check ups, decent sleep and shelter etc.

But in between those two points you are going to have so much variation. People who are wealthy but live a terrible lifestyle. People who are quite poor but live super healthy.

What is needed to maintain good health is usually to avoid certain things (along with some basic good habits) so I think it’s more down to control than wealth.

Good topic.

Vanesco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 29, 2018
Definitely a rich person can afford such luxury as health, because a lot of things depend on our nutrition, and wealthy people can diversify their nutrition with healthy foods.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I bet there is a strong correlation between gym use and wealth. Organic food consumption and wealth. Avoidance of junk food and wealth. Remember wealth takes self control to accumulate in the first place. Those values are often passed with the money on to other generations as well.

@ChrisV do you have some charts?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
@ChrisV do you have some charts?
yep

kakcorrect.png

lol okay seriously..

you’re 1000% correct. Let’s use “fast food in hospitals” as a proxy for umm... poor societal poor decision making in that area lol. Let just assume that if you have a McDonalds in your f*cking hospital... that particular area is bad at making health decisions, and more prone to junk food.

fastfood.jpg

totally correct.. but the problem goes way deeper than that

Especially note the south. That’s an area I like to call “The Confederacy” lol (sorry if you live there)

US_SlaveFree1821.gif But yea..

let’s use obesity as a proxy for a shit diet (we’ll assume that if you’re obese you have a shitty diet..) click to enlarge:

And I’m NOT taking any jabs.. this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed

mapss.jpg

Now it’s hard to say which direction everything goes in, but diet absolutely affects performance. There’s absolutely, positively, no question about that.

The Strange Link Between Junk Food and Depression

But the correlation also goes the other way.. like low blood sugar leads to low self control. So a poor diet leads to low self control, low self control leads to a poor diet and low physical activity. all that leads to poverty which further reductions in diet quality.

As humans we want it to be simple like: X -----leads to-------> Y

But it’s really more like a tangled headphone cord with EVERYTHING leading to EVERYTHING.

But that’s actually good news because it’s so easy to create an upward spiral by working on the right things. It’s almost like the broken window theory of crime. Just work on small things and it usually leads to other changes being easier.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
You really need to hone your bullshit meter. We are constantly being beaten down with fast food, etc commercials. Or the news with "Health" tips.

You need to realize that eating healthy is just like making money. If you feel your mind with bad thoughts. Or taught bad habits growing up. You'll lead yourself down a dangerous path. Same way with food. Garbage in. Garbage out.

Biggest thing is Sugar & Carbohydrates.

It really comes down to one thing: EDUCATION.

Are you willing to educate yourself on what is good or bad? How does eating that slice of pizza make you feel? Was it made with white flour? Cheese, sauce, etc ?

The biggest contributor to everything though is Sugar. You really have to find out what is right for you.

I took a month of just eating vegetables. Then another a month of just eating meat. Only to realize that I personally need both. Then it became how much of each. I found that right combo.

Dr. Rhonda Patrick - find everything by her.
Dr. Jason Fung - fasting and omad (one meal a day).
Michael Pollan - Cooked tv series and this book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/014311638X/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Story time:

Back in September, I was strolling the aisles of Kroger. I gathered all of my stuff for that week. Went up front so I can check out.

As I was waiting. I see the candy section. During these past few months. I have been very strict. NO cheat day. Looking over, I grabbed a snicker bar.

Went home and unpacked my food and whatnot. I didn't eat that snicker bar right away. Finally, after a few days. I mustered the courage.

What happened afterwards... I will never forget. The taste was unbearable. I ended up throwing up and having a massive headache.

You learn nothing by trying to fix yourself fast. Stop making it a race you won't win. Gradually find out what works BEST for YOU and only YOU.

A "diet" is just that. A facade. It is a lifestyle. Getting up everyday and DOING the right thing. Healthy body. Leads to Healthy Mind. Clarity. Thinking clearly goes a LONG way.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
If you're rich enough, you can hire a nutritionist and personal chef to give you the best nutrition:taste ratio.

You can hire a personal trainer. Get access to the best gyms. Best healthy restaurants. Best doctors. Best supplements.

Being rich doesn't hurt.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.