The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does Sex Matter?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
We all know there are distinct differences between the sexes and both have strengths and weaknesses. Not everyone here has the perspective of both sexes because either they're not a couple building a business together or they're not partnered in business with someone of the opposite sex, or somehow have a built in balance of perspectives. In this case, when might it be an advantage to bring in the opposite sex either as a consult, a partner, or other ways to provide the missing perspective? (Aside from the obvious example of men trying to sell to women or vice versa)

I know that businesses can be build and thrive by one or the other sex, but doesn't it seem prudent to add the missing perspective for balance and possibly long term success? Thoughts?

Is there any time it would not be a good idea to combine perspectives?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Anytime you send a message to your prospects through whatever media you choose. I.E. marketing.

Especially if the marketing ideas, team, products, or service are comprised of only males. Depending on the industry, a females input could open new doors.

*note- I'm a male (in case you didn't notice;)) and this is from my perspective and in my own experience, I have found inviting female contribution vastly changes things, from minute to astronomical.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
*note- I'm a male (in case you didn't notice;)) and this is from my perspective and in my own experience, I have found inviting female contribution vastly changes things, from minute to astronomical.

Always for the better?

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
In my opinion yes. But the reality is there isn't a right or wrong, it's about direction. By that I mean who you're trying to reach. A lot of that has to do with market research and your target market.

My opinion is however, if you're not niched in a sexist product (example, wrenches and tools--very few of the female population are interested, so it's not worth it) if you can modify your approach and product, why not?

Another example would be a home theater company I started a while back. Instead of picking sides, we changed our approach. Our marketing angle included, "Gadgets for HIM, Elegance for HER"!

We spent time on development of wall units configurable through a program we developed for our retailers, whereby a male could choose elements suited to his tastes (integrated subwoofers into columns for the testosterone jonesing, monster custom dlp screens (revolutionary at the time, no one was doing it, this created added draw) built in using our own proprietary projectors for the highest resolution available, etc...), and the females could tailor those configurations into the design (integrated speakers, hidden electronics, attached display cabinets complete with romantic lighting and decorative glass shelves, etc...).

I remember my first awakening to female perception in regards to this experience. Being a male, and an audiophile (fanatical about audio since early teens) some things just don't "click" until you see the light. In this instance, it was a survey we took for speakers. I'm immediately thinking about customer designs, placement, stand alone, wall mounted, etc...

What I learned is that many, MANY, women DO NOT like to see speakers in the living room or entertainment area. Responses included, "tacky", "it doesn't go with my decor", "who wants to see those, I just want to hear the music", etc... We brought in a female or two for some feedback. So we played on this with our marketing tactics, but also had a huge impact on our designs.

Our constant goal was to cater to both. The result was increased sales by our retailers. Why? We had the goods to suit the husband's day with the guys for a football game, and the wife's wine night with the ladies.

Forget salesmen, because we nailed the design, either the husband or the wife would talk the other one into the sale, whichever of the weakest.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
My industry (tax primarily, wealth-building secondarily) is almost exclusively male. (Yes, I know about Suze Ohrman, but she's basically a financial planner. She has no solid tax knowledge and frequently makes potentially devastatingly wrong statements about tax.)

I am always a little shocked when I do a live seminar to see who I draw. I get a lot of successful women (no surprise there), but I also get a lot of 1st generation Americans and especially pull Asian-Americans, Latinos and African-Americans in disproportionate amounts to the general population.

I've spent a lot of time examining why that happens. I think it has something to do with the fact that I am a bit of a maverick by being a woman in this male-dominated field and so I pull people who also might feel a little disenfranchised by the white male dominated business field.

Lately I've gotten more 20something techno guys. I love their energy and that's fun for me for planning. And, it's another group that is different than the traditional white male field.

I don't mean to put down any group here. I welcome clients of all types! :) It's just interesting that I think I bring in a different group because I am female.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I have never found gender differences to be a strength or weakness in any of my ventures. I think it difficult to make the blanket statement if it's helpful to have the opposite sex as a partner. It largely is dependent on the personality style of that individual. ...Which leads me to one my biggest lessons I've learned so far in business: it is absolutely critical to have different personality styles on board (either as partners/team mates or mentors). WildAmbitions and I are the perfect example. We are very different in almost every way. We work well as a team because we approach challenges (everything really) from two completely opposite ends. When we work together we find a good middle ground.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
Some interesting points brought out here. Mtnman brings out the point that if you can not only keep the peace in your customers household, but attract both sides of the household, you're more likely to get the sale.

Diane mentions having fun with the 20 somethings, which means it's more likely for them to have fun too, which brings in more than just making and growing money which is a different kind of fun.

Yves brings out personality, which is likely to be different between genders, the problem could come in when they don't understand each other, lol.

And Jonlee, brings in the humor, as I knew at least one male would because of the word choice...

Reps around

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I fully intend on relying on gender when I fix up the next house. I need help with paint schemes, kitchen ideas and master bedroom ideas. I will be relying on female perspective for this. Its not to say guys aren't capable of color coordination, but I don't know any that are, including myself. My perspective will still be there, but muted slightly. Nothing wrong with that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.