The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does retirement sucks?

G

GuestUser8117

Just the word retirement afraids me. I live in an area where there are lots of old people and they don't do anything but sit on bench in shopping centers all day long. I can see the regret on their face. To me retirement means endless boredom. Their life seems so EMPTY. Working was their lives and now they have nothing to do with it. And many suffer from chronic depression...

What's your opinion?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Id imagine it would suck if you retire without much money to be able to do things.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Just the word retirement afraids me. I live in an area where there are lots of old people and they don't do anything but sit on bench in shopping centers all day long. I can see the regret on their face. To me retirement means endless boredom. Their life seems so EMPTY. Working was their lives and now they have nothing to do with it. And many suffer from chronic depression...

What's your opinion?

It depends on your idea of retirement and what you want to do with your time, your why. I did "retire" for a year. I quit teaching and made no plans. My wife did not quit and my kid was still in school. Overall, it was one boring year. I did learn some about internet marketing but that was about it.

Before you quit you have to know what you are going to be doing, where, and how much it will cost. You will also have to have a why. Your why is what will get you out of bed each morning. Without a why you will get fat and lazy, your muscles will atrophy.

My wife and I are making plans for the next few years to transition from working at our jobs to creating other "whys" and things we want to do apart from work. We aren't real big travelers so that's not an attraction for us. We are looking at needs in our community that are not being met and how we could create an entity that could meet those needs. We are also evaluating organizations that we need to be involved in.

I could see us working at something(not for money) for about 4 hours a day but taking several long vacations throughout the year. This is while our established businesses keep us viable.

It is a paradox that when I am busy trying to conquer quality challenges is when I feel the most happy.

If you build a successful business and quit having to work at 30 years old, what will you do with your time? Traveling, vacationing, fast cars, and golf will only carry you so far. Then what are you going to do to continue to be relevant?

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL

What's your opinion?

I would think that retiring either old, in bad health, not wealthy, or any combination of those would suck. However, retiring at 30 with enough money (and autonomous income) to basically do whatever I want for the rest of my life would not be boring, skydiving, scuba diving all over the world, racing the worlds fastest cars, sailing. With money you can fill up your free time with so many more fun things, but you also have to be in good health as well (in my opinion).

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
By most definitions I would say I am semi retired, needing to work only 3 or 4 hours a week.

And I am BORED BORED BORED! The business I have is run by a few great people and provides plenty of income. But I REALLY enjoy working so I am trying to figure out a new business to start.

I have never wanted to retire as I have always enjoyed working more than recreational activities.

GamerGripz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 17, 2012
im only 16 but my plan is to get cashed when im in my late twenties and early thirties and have a couple businesses that just keep bringing money into me. And i love cars so im going to get really big into modding cars and building cars and track racing and autocrossing and such. I want to be that guy that has a bigger garage than house.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

What's your opinion?

I think it really depends. Many people in past generations, even many boomers have their entire identity tied up in their JOB. Retirement for many of them=waiting to die.

I'd imagine you could retire at 30 and end up feeling the same. It seems to me that is a mindset and while having money mitigates some level of internal boredom, some people simply never learn to embrace stillness and contentedness. Those people might have a significantly harder time in retirement than others. I don't see why retirement should equal not working at all, if that is what you wish to do. Perhaps we need a modified definition of retirement...if you have enough resources to never work again, but still choose to do so in some capacity be that starting a new company or volunteering, you are still "retired" in the sense you could at any time stop and have enough resources to live the lifestyle you choose.

It is all about how -you- choose to perceive it.

Sue

G

GuestUser8117

It depends on your idea of retirement and what you want to do with your time, your why. I did "retire" for a year. I quit teaching and made no plans. My wife did not quit and my kid was still in school. Overall, it was one boring year. I did learn some about internet marketing but that was about it.

Before you quit you have to know what you are going to be doing, where, and how much it will cost. You will also have to have a why. Your why is what will get you out of bed each morning. Without a why you will get fat and lazy, your muscles will atrophy.

My wife and I are making plans for the next few years to transition from working at our jobs to creating other "whys" and things we want to do apart from work. We aren't real big travelers so that's not an attraction for us. We are looking at needs in our community that are not being met and how we could create an entity that could meet those needs. We are also evaluating organizations that we need to be involved in.

I could see us working at something(not for money) for about 4 hours a day but taking several long vacations throughout the year. This is while our established businesses keep us viable.

It is a paradox that when I am busy trying to conquer quality challenges is when I feel the most happy.

If you build a successful business and quit having to work at 30 years old, what will you do with your time? Traveling, vacationing, fast cars, and golf will only carry you so far. Then what are you going to do to continue to be relevant?

Thanks for the response. I don't know what Mj thinks...

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
What would you propose people do if they have all the money they want and don't want to work?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.