I've recently had the opportunity to join a small and growing e-commerce firm (50+ employees) as a developer. I figured it would be a great opportunity to see fastlane from the inside.
However, they are making me sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. I can understand why on their end. They don't want me divulging client lists, marketing info, code, etc... Effectively their trade secrets. I am more concerned about starting my own enterprise on the side (using my own time, knowledge, and resources). Do they "own" all of my intellectual property, even though I'm using different technologies (programming languages) and my own resources. For instance, if I start my own e-commerce (on the web + being able to accept money) site will they "own" it? Or what if I develop an app on my own computer and sell it, do they own that?
How do people (Elon Musk) who work for companies like Ebay start their own firms (PayPal) while maintaining intellectual property ownership?
If you're versed in the topic, I can send you a anonymous version of the document.
However, they are making me sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. I can understand why on their end. They don't want me divulging client lists, marketing info, code, etc... Effectively their trade secrets. I am more concerned about starting my own enterprise on the side (using my own time, knowledge, and resources). Do they "own" all of my intellectual property, even though I'm using different technologies (programming languages) and my own resources. For instance, if I start my own e-commerce (on the web + being able to accept money) site will they "own" it? Or what if I develop an app on my own computer and sell it, do they own that?
How do people (Elon Musk) who work for companies like Ebay start their own firms (PayPal) while maintaining intellectual property ownership?
If you're versed in the topic, I can send you a anonymous version of the document.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
