The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does Being An Influencer Make CENTS?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
I've tried to do a breakdown myself, but I still feel like it could go either way. What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sknowles

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 18, 2021
The Bahamas
I've tried to do a breakdown myself, but I still feel like it could go either way. What do you think?
In my opinion, I believe at first, as you develop yourself as a personal brand people know like and trust, it will be very heavily reliant on your time. But as you grow your following (Im thinking you'll go the usual route of IG/FB/YT?) perhaps offer online courses & resources on how to do what you've done? Im thinking you can then start to remove yourself from the machine.

It does violate the Entry, & Time but there's still so much value that can be offered as an influencer if you differentiate somehow and supply the Need.

Hopefully others will chime in on this post as well to provide more insight.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Control - you control your image and how you use your influence, so I think that one is met.
Entry - it's a long road to building a sufficient audience to have any amount of influence. Most people aren't willing to do it, so I think it's a sufficient barrier to entry.
Need - this is debatable. If you're using influence to actually provide honest and well researched opinions / recommendations, then I think there's a need. if you're just looking to build an audience and cash out, then need is violated.
Time - this is also debatable. It depends on how you monetize that influence. Are you using influence to sell your own product that can be fulfilled while you sleep? Then it's met. If you're using influence to provide a 1 on 1 service, then it's violated.
Scale - I think this one is met, under the same conditions as above. If you're selling a digital product in particular, then it's infinitely scalable and divorced from time. If you're selling a 1 on 1 service, then scale is limited.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Control - you control your image and how you use your influence, so I think that one is met.
Entry - it's a long road to building a sufficient audience to have any amount of influence. Most people aren't willing to do it, so I think it's a sufficient barrier to entry.
Need - this is debatable. If you're using influence to actually provide honest and well researched opinions / recommendations, then I think there's a need. if you're just looking to build an audience and cash out, then need is violated.
Time - this is also debatable. It depends on how you monetize that influence. Are you using influence to sell your own product that can be fulfilled while you sleep? Then it's met. If you're using influence to provide a 1 on 1 service, then it's violated.
Scale - I think this one is met, under the same conditions as above. If you're selling a digital product in particular, then it's infinitely scalable and divorced from time. If you're selling a 1 on 1 service, then scale is limited.

Basically, it CAN make CENTS but it could also NOT make CENTS.

Being an influencer on its own isn't going to make you any money unless you've got a business model around it. Based on the strength of that business model, it could potentially make CENTS.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If we expand the definition of what it means to be an influencer beyond “just” getting paid because we have an engaged following, then I’d argue that we should all strive to have influence.

I like @kak’s comments here:
Two kinds of wealth. Resource and influence.

Resource is traditional wealth. The purchasing power of products, services, and more opportunities.

Influence is the kind of wealth best illustrated by the sharks on shark tank. One phone call changes an entire business forever. You can sell your company and start another with almost immediate success.

I would argue that in the long run, influence is the most important of the two and actually leads to more resource wealth than just focusing on resources to begin with.

My favorite part, influence can not be quantified, so it isn’t even taxed.

Basically the earned respect of others = influence. It is highly important.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
You can control your image and build your audience, but it still feels like a "please pick me!" situation, and depending on what kinds of niche you're in, the barrier to entry doesn't seem very high.

I doubt that an absolute pro can treat it like a real operation that they design and control, but it seems like most influencers are benefiting from a lot of luck.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've converted this thread to a question, please upvote best answer.

Well said.

Not really a cut-n-dry answer to this question, but INFLUENCE does harbor a lot of opportunities and opens a lot of doors, many of which could be turned into CENTS based varieties.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.