The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does A Strong Accent Lower Views on Youtube

What should I do for my Youtube Channel?

• Do it myself

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Pay Someone for Voice Over

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pay Someone for Animation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I want to start making youtube videos but I'm afraid to because I have a strong accent in English. Well is not that strong but it's noticeable. Even though I was born and raised in the US I've lived in neighborhoods where the majority talked Spanish even my classmates. So between school and home I would talk Spanish around 80% of the time. This gave me a heavy accent when I speak English. I want to start making youtube videos to grow my blog but I'm still undecided if I should do the talking or hire someone on fiverr. The cheapest and easiest way would be for me to do the talking. If I hire someone on fiverr it would slow down my work and it would cost me more money. I was also thinking about doing animation but that's even more expensive. For the Youtuber's on this forum what your opinion? Should I wait to save money and pay someone to do it for me or should I do it myself? Thanks for your feedback.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Arnold did OK...

You'll be fine. Your accent is not going to stop you from being successful. Did anyone before you create successful youtube videos with an accent?...

If anything it is a USP, and you will be more memorable.

Worst case scenario if you have amazing content but your accent is 'letting you down', your audience will let you know, and outsource from there.

Ready, fire, aim.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Depends on the nature of the content. If it's just you explaining things, yes it's a problem. At the very least have a good microphone, and have good graphical content, but probably get some accent training too if it's a strong accent. If people feel any displeasure due to difficulty understanding, they won't watch.

On the other hand if the content is something else (FPS Russia comes to mind), then the accent doesn't matter, or coulds even be a feature.

Using the above example of Arnie: he didn't get famous for his dialogue. He got famous for being a macho hulk. His famous lines are all super short, "I'll be back". They were just flavour upon the exisiting feature. Can you imagine him having being cast as a wordy type?

J.Sark

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 21, 2017
Spain
Arnold did OK...

You'll be fine. Your accent is not going to stop you from being successful. Did anyone before you create successful youtube videos with an accent?...

Worst case scenario if you have amazing content but your accent is 'letting you down', your audience will let you know, and outsource from there.

Ready, fire, aim.

This is great advice in my opinion.

Schwarzenegger tells his story on his biography, and how everyone in the film industry told him he would never succeed in movies with such a strong accent... (let alone as a political leader!!).

OWN IT!

The region where I come from, I have a very strong accent myself in my own country (some people get ashamed of it, because it's a more rural area), but I'm really proud of it. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, if you are ashamed of it, people will notice. If you are proud of it, people will notice too.

It's just a shift in your thinking, and what in the beginning you might see as a hindrance might become a very valuable asset.

Now that being said, if getting a voice over will help you reach more people, it might be a good idea, but you said it will slow things down. So start rolling and adjust from there.

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
Yes, I think a strong accent will drive some people away from a youtube channel. I have definitely been guilty of this I, the regular channels I watch are all native speakers.

Should this be a reason for you to not do it?
No.

By doing it you will build a new skill and push your comfort zone.
Go for it and If you get more self-conscious about it down the line consider doing accent-elimination courses.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Provide subtitles for your videos.

Sometimes, even for speakers with no accents, they might speak so fast that I can't catch up at all.

Another plus of having subtitles: some folks might want to watch videos on silent mode because they may be watching it on a train or in a shared apartment. You can cater for the audience who prefers a reading stance.

I'm thinking you could write up a text script of the dialogues in your videos, get a guy from Upwork or Fiverr to insert the subtitles at the suitable timings. Or you can do the subtitle work yourself, which is a load of hard work, as I have done it before! High school video project, for which I got screwed over by parents for burning the midnight oil over a 'non-studying' work lol.

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY
I want to start making youtube videos but I'm afraid to because I have a strong accent in English. Well is not that strong but it's noticeable. Even though I was born and raised in the US I've lived in neighborhoods where the majority talked Spanish even my classmates. So between school and home I would talk Spanish around 80% of the time. This gave me a heavy accent when I speak English. I want to start making youtube videos to grow my blog but I'm still undecided if I should do the talking or hire someone on fiverr. The cheapest and easiest way would be for me to do the talking. If I hire someone on fiverr it would slow down my work and it would cost me more money. I was also thinking about doing animation but that's even more expensive. For the Youtuber's on this forum what your opinion? Should I wait to save money and pay someone to do it for me or should I do it myself? Thanks for your feedback.

If people can understand your English then it shouldn't be a big problem. Having said that, only other people can decide if you have a strong accent and if they can understand you. Maybe post one video here and let us hear your voice?

Aside from the alternatives you've mentioned, you can also consider using text to speech. It won't sound natural but it won't have any accent either.

You should probably focus more on creating great content instead. I've watched youtube videos with really terrible accent, simply because the content was really interesting. If your video has a lot to offer, people will overlook the minor details.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
As long as your clarity is not an issue, accent will not keep you from becoming successful.

You have to have a good content. If you have it, then people will watch you. If you do not, then people will not watch even the cutest girl that you hire.

You can pretend your are Antonio Banderas. Just act classy and look educated. Do not let Americans think that since you have an accent you are also stupid. Throw in some college-level words, if you have to.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Arnold did OK...

Ready, fire, aim.

Thanks for your feedback. That's a good way to look at it as a USP.
As long as your clarity is not an issue, accent will not keep you from becoming successful.

You have to have a good content. If you have it, then people will watch you. If you do not, then people will not watch even the cutest girl that you hire.

You can pretend your are Antonio Banderas. Just act classy and look educated. Do not let Americans think that since you have an accent you are also stupid. Throw in some college-level words, if you have to.

I always wondered that can a pretty girl make a youtube video about anything and still get a lot of views?

Yes, I think a strong accent will drive some people away from a youtube channel. I have definitely been guilty of this I, the regular channels I watch are all native speakers.

Should this be a reason for you to not do it?
No.

By doing it you will build a new skill and push your comfort zone.
Go for it and If you get more self-conscious about it down the line consider doing accent-elimination courses.

Exactly that's why I asked because I can't stand the videos that are made in China but in English. I don't like listening to them because their accent is so strong even if the content is good I'd rather read subtitles than listen to them speak.

But I'll try it since I'm on a budget now. If I see that the videos are getting a lot views for the content then I'll hire someone for voice over or animation. Thank you.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
Yes, an accent will hold you back at least a little. I wouldn't let that stop you from getting started. Let NOTHING stop you. Still, many people will click right past you. I don't mean to be disparaging, but I know that an accent is the kiss of death for phone sales and it isn't helping you. Is that right? Is that how it "should" be? Well, it is the way it is.

Arnold took classes to reduce his accent, stopping where he wanted to be because it fit his brand. Depending what your personal brand is, that may work well for you too. More likely, speaking two languages without accent is probably better.

My advice is start with what you have. Then look into hiring a coach to help you with your diction. It can cost less than you may think and it will improve your marketability in the US. Many, many people have improved how they are perceived by putting work into their language skills. It works. It's usually cheap. It's a little coaching and a lot of practice. You can hit this out of the park.

Ocelot

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
386%
Apr 13, 2018
UK
I think it's not the accent so much as how well you can speak English.

When I click on a tutorial and the guy is Indian for example, often times they will misspeak, mispronounce words and use odd phrasing. This can be very distracting and makes them hard to listen to.

If you look up Gleb Alexandrov on YouTube, he has 86K subs and does tutorials. I would say his accent is strong and quite weird. But he speaks in proper English, meaning you can still easily understand him. He also has good content and an engaging personality. That's what matters.

There are many more like him on YouTube. Yes you will lose a few people because of your accent, but some people are bound to just not like you for some reason or another anyway, it can't be helped.

People will want to see your personality, so you should do your own voiceovers.

You can 100% make a success of it with an accent.

kudos_whitehat

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 15, 2018
Nahhh man the accent doesnt matter. Its all about personality man, and how you show it. Because every unique way is something special for you. So dont be afraid of it, just make videos. As an audience id not have a problem in it [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.