The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you Save / Invest along the way?

ProfessorSpeed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Sep 20, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Sorry - that statement was confusing.

Let's say you put in $20K and your pension plan puts in $20K and together buy a property. Half of the profits will flow to you for living expenses and half will stay in the pension plan.

Did that make more sense?

Yes it does! I recently contacted a colleague of mine who suddenly quit work. I caught wind that he helped fund a new franchise business with a 401k. Below is my email to him and his response. I think my conversation with him might open some eyes!!!!

XXXXXXXXXX,
I was just talking to XXXXXXXXXX today, and he mentioned your story to me. He knew I would be interested in what you had done with your business and your 401(k). If it's not too personal, I was wondering if you would mind going into more detail on what you had done to fund your startup. Here's the story as I think I understand it…
Work at Company A and contribute to a 401(k)
End work at Company A
Start work at Company B and contribute to a separate 401(k)
Start a C-Corp and issue x dollars in stock
Roll Company A's 401(k) into another IRA that allows you to buy shares of private companies
Use the IRA to buy x dollars in the stock of your own company

And there you have it…the ability to have full, pentalty free access to your retirement funds for your business! The main question I have is what company did you use to hold your company A's 401(k)? What kind of fees did you have to pay? What was the cost to start up your C-Corp and issue shares? Recommend a good lawyer and accountant? Did you take out any loans (SBA or?) to fund your business? Lessons learned? Thanks a lot! Congrats and best of luck to you!!

HIS RESPONSE:
The above is the overall steps taken, but there is a lot more to consider. First, the 401K's are overseen by the Dept of Labor, and the IRS is second in authority. The DOL opinions can override the IRS.
I used a company called Guidant Finacial services, and they charged $5,000.00 for the service. They set up the 401K, the corporation, directed me to an attorney (separate from mine). Of course, they are not on the hook if the IRS challenges it. You might think it is easier or cheaper to Do It Yourself (DIY), however, I have learned that DIY is expensive. Brain surgery and dental work are not DIY, and I did not feel messing with the IRS is DIY.
Also, a very important point:
when you sell the stock, you need to show you put up a minimum of 5% to the company. So, If you roll over $100,000, you need to show you personally spent above the $100,000 5%. Yes, the $4,995.00 fee to Guidant does count towards this 5%. Next, they recommend there be more than 5%, and also another investor. This makes it more legitimate, so you don't get the dreaded "Self Dealing" judgment by the IRS. If you can bring in a trusted person to buy some of your stock, say a relative who buys the stock. SO, they could buy 5%, you put in 5%, and the 401K buys 90%. The third party helps get away from the self dealing. If you can get the relative to give you the money, they can do it tax free; relatives can give away a certain amount every year (I do not know the amount; I think it's around 5 or 10K).

And there you have it…the ability to have full, pentalty free access to your retirement funds for your business!

The main question I have is what company did you use to hold your company A's 401(k)?
Guidant is at http://www.guidantfinancial.com/ I talked to another person who purchased a franchise company, and he found that Guidant was the most responsive and easiest to use. I did not have the time to shop around, so I used them, and am content.
They have a Conciege who gets you in touch with whoever you need to talk to. Call Susan Brunk at 1-888-472-4455 ext 3231 or susan.brunk@guidantfinancial.com and let her know I sent you. She can get an info package in the mail to you.

What kind of fees did you have to pay?
$4,999.95. Sounds like a lot, but look at it another way. If you have a lot of funds in your 401K, and you feel you can get 50% return out of a franchise business, or get 8% if you leave the funds in a 401K, how much would you pay to get to the money? Also, I could have gone for a business loan (no prior business experience), or a 2nd mortgage. The second mortgage would have const me $5,000 in origination fees, and I would have to pay monthly payments. WIth this 401K plan, I do NOT have loan payments. The cost of access to the funds will be paid off by the value of the franchise business.
Other ongoing fees NOT covered by the $4,995:
There is a lot of paper documentation. I have to keep a close tab on my corp (OK tax commission, IRS, etc). I have to pay myself a salary. I have to pay a CPA to keep things up. I bought Quickbooks PRo & Payroll to helps (this fee went towards the 5%). Still, in the long run, it is better than a second mortgage. I also like having a CPA handle it all for me; that way I can focus on my business & customers.

What was the cost to start up your C-Corp and issue shares?
That was part of the $4,999.95

Recommend a good lawyer and accountant?
I recommend Michael Jones at Jones law office. http://www.joneslawoffice.com/About.htm
My CPA is Pam Edwards http://www.edwardstaxandaccounting.com/ They both sat in on the conference calls with Guidant, so they already understand how this process works.

Did you take out any loans (SBA or?) to fund your business?
No. Would take too long, and the y are loans that have monthly payments (negative cashflow). The 401K instead pays me a monthly salary.

Lessons learned?
It takes longer than I thought. I had to wait till I quit to get to my 401K. You can't complete the process until you have all the checks from the rollovers in-hand. So, I used credit cards to go to franchise training, and will have the corporation pay back the loan. Make sure the CPA and attorney have paperwork drawn up to properly document this.
Thanks a lot! Congrats and best of luck to you!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
Fast Lane and Retirement

I am still working on entering the fastlane and am finally taking some steps to move in that direction.

I think a goal of the fast lane is have enough passive income so that one doesn't have to work until the tradational retirement age. Therefore allowing one to have TIME to do what they wish.

However, one area that I am rather conservative is in regard to retirement investing. I am big fan of indexing for the long term and found a really helpful forum (www.diehards.org). (I don't have any personal interest/connection with this forum other than reading it)

One issue that comes to mind, do you feel that it is better to have money avaible for your fastlane idea (especially getting started) or rather put it into a retirement account?

Factors maybe worth considering:

Fastlane idea could generate enough so you don't need to worry about retirement contributions.

Retirement account could provide a safety net to pursue fastlane idea in the future.

Retirement money may not be taxed in the future such as with a ROTH. In addition, if you don't contribute to your ROTH (or 401k etc...) then you lose the opportunity - can't contribute back for missed years.

Ideally, your fastlane idea will generate enough money that you can max out retirement accounts, but at least in my situation - I have to make choices into where to put my money.

Thanks.

Mr. Pink

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Re: Fast Lane and Retirement

Hey again Mr. Pink. Your questions raise the dilemma that we all have to face. We learn security but want to reach out and grab that brass ring as soon as possible. However, that ring is just out of reach and we have to leave our security just a little more to be able to grab it.

Several people are coming to grips with this by figuring out what they would need to minimally sustain life now so they can spend more time and resources working on their fastlane strategy. The link for that thread is here
http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/showthread.php?t=544

If you go through that exercise you will probably figure out the answers that best fit your life.

Myself... I have moved all of my retirement funds into investments I can actively manage and give me passive cashflow now and when I retire. I figured I don't want to wait to enjoy my retirement. I want it now and later. Good luck on your quest.

Greg

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Well, I believe in the theory of having three plans. One for Financial Security, one for Comfort, and one to be Rich.

The retirements plans fit into the Security portion of your plan.
Another thing to consider is, while you have to go thru a job and the employer matches contributions for your 401(k) then you are getting money 'for free'. I take it and invest it for the long run.
Another point is that the Roth plans combined with self directed plans allow you to invest "tax free".

On the other hand, keep in mind that, if you know what you are doing, why to invest any dollar in something else than your business/investments if that is giving you the best possible returns while maintaining all the control?

This has been discussed before, do a search and you see that there was an interesting thread about this. The search function will help you to discover great information in this forum.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

couldn't resist, did the search myself and re-read that thread. I am merging this thread to maintain the conversation about the same topic in that one.

Last edited:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
WOW Andres I thought I went through a black hole or something. :rofl: My eyes were playing tricks on me. :coolgleamA: Thanks for the merge.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What's your opinion on investing in i.e. a 401k or IRA if you're an entrepreneur?

I used to be all for people on a CAREER TRACK or a JOB investing in a 401k for the long haul. Now I really see it as more slow-lane. I'd rather take my money and try to invest it into a business where the return could be 1,000's of % not peanuts...

Any thoughts?

I have neither a 401K nor an IRA. Both are retirement-age type vehicles. The idea of retiring at 65 years old has never been a goal, therefore the tools are of no value to me, despite their tax benefits.

All my surplus money is put to work in either in 1 of 3 things:

1) Lifestyle support
2) Investments (liquid) and
3) Business.

1 is what pays my bills and allows me the freedom to do whatever I want, whenever -- within reason.

2 and 3 are to achieve growth which adds to #1, Lifestyle Support.

2 are typical investments (stocks, mutual funds, etc.)

3 is comprised of fastlane business ventures.

So in effect, 2 and 3 work to enhance #1.

As #1 improves, my "within reason" options increase.

This is almost similar to what Andres mentioned.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I DID say there is an advantage by investing using self-directed and Roth. Please re-read my post and you will see that.

You make very valid arguments about using these retirement accounts for funding the other two plans.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
One nice thing about a 401k, if you have an employer that has OK'd it for their plan is -- You can utilize it as a savings plan for your next house purchase.

With our plan, you can withdraw your full balance anytime if you produce a signed real estate contract by both buyer and seller for property. Our company encourages the use of 401k funds for home purchases, so there is no penalty for pulling the money out -- other than you have to pay taxes on the money.

I'm using mine with that fat employer match to finance my next primary residence purchase in about 12-24 months down the road.

If not for this loophole... I'd pretty much agree with what MJ said, which is that this would have no value to me -- because I'm planning on being retired LONG before 65. If you have an employer match, you need to be contributing atleast enough to get that though... Too good to pass up, and you can always empty your 401k early for things like "Hardship", etc if necessary -- so it really can turn out to be an emergency savings plan. Penalties vary by plan....

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007

Well, I believe in the theory of having three plans. One for Financial Security, one for Comfort, and one to be Rich.

See this is one thing I never understood,
even after reading those RichDad books.

Why is this a three plan approach?
Isn't it more like a three stage approach?
With more of the money allocated to rich
as your wealth and knowledge increases?

I simply can't see how someone knowing how to make 20% on money
will keep a chunk invested at 6%.

I'm in the middle stage
and I structure my strategy so my downside
is not lower than what is needed for financial security.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Yes, I understand this as a three stage approach.
I like to cover some basic needs first. If everything else fails, this is a safety net. I, personally, tend to prefer to dive head in in what I take, but m wife is more conservative, so we do plan for a safety net "just in case".
We also have some savings, and this is part of our agreements for our financial planning.

Retirement is not the only point I have in my "Security" plan. Term Life insurance, health insurance, disability insurance are also part of it. I will look for some material I had about this, and may post it later.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I think cash reserves are always wise, even if they aren't kept in the form of "cash," per se. I think selling your DVD collection to start a business differs substantially from selling your retirement account.

CorsePerVita

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 24, 2008
A large portion of my income goes towards my investments. Another percentage DOES go to IRA just so SOMETHING is doing something at all times.

Most the time I do my own investing. However, it is nice to know in the back of my mind there is a fund sitting, growing and I get to check up on it every so often and go "aha, nice". It isn't such a gigantic amount that it really makes a hindrance on my income but is enough that it is making an impact.

The rest of my money goes towards other things... more tools for website design, stocks, cds, etc...

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I think cash reserves are always wise, even if they aren't kept in the form of "cash," per se. I think selling your DVD collection to start a business differs substantially from selling your retirement account.

Yeh, but no fastlaner should be reliant on any single retirement "account"... Your entire portfolio should be at work for you, getting you closer to retirement each day, and supporting you in retirement once you've reached that level.

Anybody relying on an account is a squirrel, and not a fastlaner. If you didn't consider money you have in a retirement account as possible investment bankroll, then you'd be doing yourself a big disservice.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I'd consider my 401(k) and IRA to be bailout funds if I blew all my capital and credit. I don't think I'll borrow against them unless things get dire. Is that slowlane of me?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.