The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you have to lie to become a top producer in Sales?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

urveshvasani

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Apr 22, 2016
Believe in what you sell, sell to the right people, and have a thick skin. That's literally what sales is all about - and there is no room for lying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If you are selling you're doing it wron
Simple.
Selling is when they are trying to get a way.
If they wanna go, let 'em.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

The first instinct of almost every company and individual on the planet is "No thanks, not interested" or "we already have a solution" or "we're doing just fine the way we are" or "we'll call you if we need something". NOBODY wants to be sold to.

Most of the time, the only people chomping at the bit to buy from a salesperson is someone who is an emergency situation and they think you might be the solution and they need it "now". Here's the funny thing - these tend to be the worst customers because they ask almost no questions and the likelihood of it being a good fit is almost based on pure chance. Someone who is on fire doesn't ask questions about the bucket of water you are selling.

Compare that to someone who initially says "no" but is willing to keep talking to you. You'll ask a question, they'll be skeptical, you'll clarify, they'll ask a new question, you'll answer, they'll say "hmmm, but what about...." and you'll keep going until all of their concerns are addressed and the fit is amazing. You've built trust, addressed the concerns, shown the value and if/when they buy there will be no ambiguity about it. Provided you didn't lie to them and your service does what you've been claiming, of course.

If your service provides real value - it's okay to "sell" to them because you know that it will help them out even if they don't realize it yet.

I used to sell corporate cell phone plans. Guess what 99% of the reaction was when I cold called an owner and said I was with a competing carrier? "No thanks, we have one, goodbye". It was only after I said "whoah, one quick question, please" and I was able to ask them about reception in buildings and in remote areas, roaming charges, dropped calls, employee phones, etc... did they realize the service they were currently happy with had all kinds of problems that they never thought about. As it turns out they were paying hundreds of dollars extra in roaming fees overseas where our service offered dirt-cheap and generous travel plans. They were losing business when travelling between major cities due to poor reception that our service would 100% fix. They were spending half as much per month on the plan but losing many, many times that amount in lost business and fees. Their employees were expensing their own various plans to the owner for huge amounts with no reporting or accountability built in but with our plan the owner could get them all on a corporate plan that had online call and data auditing! Etc.

If I respected every "no" I got and never metaphorically jammed my foot in the door before it closed, they never would have realized the value they were missing out on. Some of my happiest and best customers were "No thanks, not interested" at the beginning and "How did we ever do this without you?" by the end.

If you offer real value, don't be afraid to beat your potential clients over the head with that information. If they know what value they are missing out on and still say no - that's fine, but it's stupid to let them go before they know what they are missing.

G

GuestUser141

ALL!? Have you ever met an honest salesperson before, even ONCE in your life?

That would suggest we are all liars...wrong

Cunning,manipulators yes...does not equal lying

A child ask's for a third sweet before lunch,we say no,best interest at heart(experienced in the world)
we suggest they wait until after food,that's a simplistic form of cunning...but we are not lying,yet we sold the idea...all sales

tngsnow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Oct 11, 2015
Didn't MJ used the names of his old colleagues from school on his site to make it look like he had a big staff?

CLE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Feb 7, 2016
I sell 1.5 million a year in a combination of B2B and B2consumer. I never false represent a product, I always try to match the customer with what best fits their needs after hearing them out on what they want. Its always best to hear from a customer first what their needs/wants instead of you shoving shit their way before you know anything about them. I take pride in developing relationships with people before making a sale. I've had people come see me to buy a $5 item for their first time in my store and because I treated them like a friend and respected them many of them are regular buyers of products in the thousands of dollars range. Once you develop a relationship as a trusted person they won't bother looking elsewhere.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
My family and friends are against it, they say all sales people lie.

That is the lie.

The ones that are honest make no money etc. is this true?

The "ones" that make the most money are those that build strategic partnerships and specialize in a niche.

The "ones" that make the best money sell B2B products and services.

Find something that businesses need to buy millions ($) worth and sell that.

I love the business aspect of sales but I won't deceive people to make money.

If you're selling the right service, your challenge will be to show the prospect that the solution you're selling isn't too good to be true.

The questions you ask about sales indicate that you have little to no experience.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
That is the lie.

The "ones" that make the most money are those that build strategic partnerships and specialize in a niche.

The "ones" that make the best money sell B2B products and services.

Find something that businesses need to buy millions ($) worth and sell that.

If you're selling the right service, your challenge will be to show the prospect that the solution you're selling isn't too good to be true.

The questions you ask about sales indicate that you have little to no experience.
Amen, brother.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.