The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Developing desktop tool for a specific niche

Idea threads

uhhfeef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 17, 2022
Hey all!

I've been trying to develop a desktop app specifically for a particular niche that I'm a part of. The problem is I'm not really good at coding but its an issue multiple people within that niche face and is definitely something I'm really excited for solving. I've made a POC that works kind of and I've gotten really good feedback from my friends. But I want to develop this thing as soon as possible so I can keep refining it based on their feedback. I don't want to make something that I think is good, which i really do believe it is, but is good for the market I'm targeting as well.

So far, I've made 2 POC's: one as a Chrome extension and the other as a desktop app using python. Ideally I would want it as a chrome extension as it would literally be the most convenient for my niche but there's way too many security policies and I don't want to waste my time creating code to bypass all of that.

Given that I'm not that good at coding (I have a little idea but not so much that I can develop it by myself) and I need speed to execute this to test on my niche with limited amount of resources, what are you guys' thoughts on how I should go about it. I was thinking something like fiverr, or upwork but I need someone who would be in this for continuous updates, someone whos always in the loop. There's a high chance that what we end up actually building is different from what I currently have in mind. I also don't want them to steal it and make their own version, because the idea in itself is pretty simple, it's just that no one has done it as of yet.

I appreciate any kind of feedback!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
Stop worrying about someone stealing your idea. It's worthless without execution.

The real problem with software is getting sales. Creating it is the easier part. There are a zillion programmers in the world who are better than me (a self-taught one), and 99% earn less than me and/or are working on making someone else rich.

Hire someone on UpWork or TopTal. Be as specific as possible in your requirements. Make sure you get the full source code. Make them sign an NDA if you fear them stealing from you.

Create something minimum you can sell, don't worry about long-term updates and whatnot yet. Sell it. Get feedback. Improve. Sell more. Get feedback. Improve... you get the point.

uhhfeef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 17, 2022
Thank you! Yea upwork seems to be the way.

Create something minimum you can sell, don't worry about long-term updates and whatnot yet. Sell it. Get feedback. Improve. Sell more. Get feedback. Improve... you get the point.
What I meant with updates was, updates to the app itself. Whenever I would want to add or subtract certain features based on the feedback I'd have to be dependent on someone on upwork and get them into the loop from scratch. Which may end up taking a lot of time which I want to avoid.

I hope that makes sense.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
What I meant with updates was, updates to the app itself. Whenever I would want to add or subtract certain features based on the feedback I'd have to be dependent on someone on upwork and get them into the loop from scratch. Which may end up taking a lot of time which I want to avoid.

Yep, I understood that.

But again, that is something to worry about after you make sales, not before. Why worry about possible future updates now? You may not get any sales and give up on the app in a month. You don't know. You won't know until you sell some, so focus on creating a minimum that works and sell it.

This comes to mind ;)

sell.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

uhhfeef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 17, 2022
Hahah yea makes sense.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.