The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Designing Websites which Solve Problems (Close Clients)??

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
Hello Everyone,
So just an update to my previous thread(EXECUTION - RANT - QUESTION - I started my SMMA and failed utterly. )which gave me a lot of insights and helped me get started with the execution a question.

As you may have read, I started a SMMA and things didn't work out quite well. I was offering a lot of services including web design, SEO, SMM and more. But I didn't have expertise in any of the fields. Then I decided to niche down to Web design because I found out that I enjoy coding and did some research and read the 1 million dollar web designer book by @Fox . I started learning HTML and CSS and have done quite well till now and it's only a matter of time before I would be able to make fully functional websites(I plan on using technologies like webflow, so I learned HTML and CSS to get started).

One Question that popped in my mind was that even If I am able to make good looking websites for a business, just the design of the website won't help Solve the problems of my client like low leads or clients or any more real life problems. There are more things to it that differentiates a 100$ website and a 10,000$ website. So what to do when I become proficient in building websites? I kind of have an idea about things I may need to learn like Copywriting, Sales Funnels, Email Marketing and all but I don't see a clear path on how my websites would be of great value to my clients. I

Sales isn't a problem I wanna focus right now on.

Also, I am from India so could you guys give some advice and reasons why someone would hire a web designer from a foreign Developing Country and not his/her home country, and how to find/pitch clients abroad?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ayush6543

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Sep 2, 2021
Hello Everyone,
So just an update to my previous thread(EXECUTION - RANT - QUESTION - I started my SMMA and failed utterly. )which gave me a lot of insights and helped me get started with the execution a question.

As you may have read, I started a SMMA and things didn't work out quite well. I was offering a lot of services including web design, SEO, SMM and more. But I didn't have expertise in any of the fields. Then I decided to niche down to Web design because I found out that I enjoy coding and did some research and read the 1 million dollar web designer book by @Fox . I started learning HTML and CSS and have done quite well till now and it's only a matter of time before I would be able to make fully functional websites(I plan on using technologies like webflow, so I learned HTML and CSS to get started).

One Question that popped in my mind was that even If I am able to make good looking websites for a business, just the design of the website won't help Solve the problems of my client like low leads or clients or any more real life problems. There are more things to it that differentiates a 100$ website and a 10,000$ website. So what to do when I become proficient in building websites? I kind of have an idea about things I may need to learn like Copywriting, Sales Funnels, Email Marketing and all but I don't see a clear path on how my websites would be of great value to my clients. I

Also, I am from India so could you guys give some advice and reasons why someone would hire a web designer from a foreign Developing Country and not his/her home country, and how to find/pitch clients abroad?
Read both of these threads deeply.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Hello Everyone,

Oh, I am in the process of execution right now, and you'll need to cold call. You'd better get rid off the accent *fast*.

Some good advice - doing websites is basically sales. Writing copy doesn't much differ from being a salesperson at someone's door - except that door is Google. Check out Scientific Advertising - it's a short read, but it's important.

And hey, there's Dean White on YT. his advice is probably not the best, watch out for some shenanigans like niching down before you get first clients, for example, but other than that he has some really good advice on web design. Check him out. There's also a community of web designers there.

Edit: about copywriting - check out Copywriting Secrets book. Don't buy the product advertised in that book, but the advice in it will walk you through all the necessary basics.

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
Oh, I am in the process of execution right now, and you'll need to cold call. You'd better get rid off the accent *fast*.

Some good advice - doing websites is basically sales. Writing copy doesn't much differ from being a salesperson at someone's door - except that door is Google. Check out Scientific Advertising - it's a short read, but it's important.

And hey, there's Dean White on YT. his advice is probably not the best, watch out for some shenanigans like niching down before you get first clients, for example, but other than that he has some really good advice on web design. Check him out. There's also a community of web designers there.

Edit: about copywriting - check out Copywriting Secrets book. Don't buy the product advertised in that book, but the advice in it will walk you through all the necessary basics.
Wow thanks man.... going to give an update soon regarding the process... right now in the process of learning and reading

Yusufsuleman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 30, 2023
You're totally on the right track by narrowing down your focus to web design. It's awesome that you're diving into coding and leveling up your skills.

buscus.stan

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 13, 2021
Earth
Then I decided to niche down to Web design because I found out that I enjoy coding

In time you will need to know everyhing you mentioned and much more, but it's a good idea to take it step by step. After you have a decent understanding of how to build websites, you can move on to SEO and others.

If you're good at sales, than it isn't a problem, if you're not, the sooner you learn, the better. You can make the best product in the world if you cannot sell it, it's not going to make you any money.

I plan on using technologies like webflow, so I learned HTML and CSS to get started

This is a good first step, but I don't know how much demand is for a HTML/CSS only coder. HTML/CSS is a very small part of web development. As a web designer you would be able to create the look and feel of a website (using tools like figma) then develop those screens into a real website using HTML, CSS and Javascript. If you are creative and can imagine a website in figma (design and UX) and then you can transform it in a website (development) you will have more enough work.

Coming from a developing country can be an advantage. Your cost of living is lower than that of many other people in the world, so at first you can offer highly competitive prices and still be profitable. Once you have some experience and you have more work than you can do, you increase your rates. And then repeat :)

Nearly 20 years ago, I started just like you, with HTML and CSS, but I moved quick to other things. I moved to Ruby on Rails (backend) but these days if I'd have to choose, I would choose Javascript. There is no website that doesn't use it and you can do backend in Javascript. It's a full blown software language and not an easy one, but if you become decent in it, you'll never be without work

Good luck!

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
@buscus.stan Thank you for your insights. I am doing a udemy bootcamp for html and css and I plan to learn figma to design websites and make the websites using webflow. I have just heard that people do it but I don't know what's inside

As of now I'm procrastinating too much because when I come from University I feel tired and just want to sleep lol. But I am done halfway through the course and learnt most of the basics.

Also I saw a video on YouTube which said procrastination can be a symptom of the fear of failure. I am not afraid of failure but of course anxious about the results as making this work is really important for me.

I am also trying to fix other parts of my life like quitting smoking(I just smoke 1-2 ciggerates a day), losing weight etc. and getting into some philosophical and spiritual stuff.

buscus.stan

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 13, 2021
Earth
@buscus.stan Thank you for your insights. I am doing a udemy bootcamp for html and css and I plan to learn figma to design websites and make the websites using webflow. I have just heard that people do it but I don't know what's inside

As of now I'm procrastinating too much because when I come from University I feel tired and just want to sleep lol. But I am done halfway through the course and learnt most of the basics.

Also I saw a video on YouTube which said procrastination can be a symptom of the fear of failure. I am not afraid of failure but of course anxious about the results as making this work is really important for me.

I am also trying to fix other parts of my life like quitting smoking(I just smoke 1-2 ciggerates a day), losing weight etc. and getting into some philosophical and spiritual stuff.

That sounds great! A great alternative to Udemy is Learn to Code - for Free | Codecademy They have a lot of free, high quality resources. On the business side of web design/development, Fox's threads here are brilliant. Someone above linked them. There is a lot of wisdom there.
I don't personally use webflow, but I know there is a lot of competition in the space, Squarespace, Wix, Prismic come to mind, but there are a dozen others. Choose the ones that offer the most flexibility (wordpress?) but realistically once you know HTML/CSS/JS the platform doesn't matter that much. You should be able to switch from one to another.

There is no reason to fear failure, every situation which others consider failure is in fact a learning experience

Regarding the other parts of your life, my only suggestion is to not try and change too many things at once. It's nearly impossible. Go with small, consistent changes. 1% improvement every week will take you and keep you there

On the matter of smoking, I smoked for over 15 years and I am now 7 years clean. The triggers for me was when my daughter was born and reading Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking book. I remember that trying to lower the number to only a few a day it was very draining mentally. Then the first few weeks after quitting were hard. I quit coffee and beer at the same time and all other cues I could think about. But after a couple of months I became a non-smoker. And even now, I consider quitting smoking one of the best achievements of my life :))

good luck and don't give up

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
That sounds great! A great alternative to Udemy is Learn to Code - for Free | Codecademy They have a lot of free, high quality resources. On the business side of web design/development, Fox's threads here are brilliant. Someone above linked them. There is a lot of wisdom there.
I don't personally use webflow, but I know there is a lot of competition in the space, Squarespace, Wix, Prismic come to mind, but there are a dozen others. Choose the ones that offer the most flexibility (wordpress?) but realistically once you know HTML/CSS/JS the platform doesn't matter that much. You should be able to switch from one to another.

There is no reason to fear failure, every situation which others consider failure is in fact a learning experience

Regarding the other parts of your life, my only suggestion is to not try and change too many things at once. It's nearly impossible. Go with small, consistent changes. 1% improvement every week will take you and keep you there

On the matter of smoking, I smoked for over 15 years and I am now 7 years clean. The triggers for me was when my daughter was born and reading Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking book. I remember that trying to lower the number to only a few a day it was very draining mentally. Then the first few weeks after quitting were hard. I quit coffee and beer at the same time and all other cues I could think about. But after a couple of months I became a non-smoker. And even now, I consider quitting smoking one of the best achievements of my life :))

good luck and don't give up
Thank you, your life story is really encouraging. And talking about which platform to use to make websites, I have used wordpress and hate it personally. At last, I believe as @Fox said it's just about what results your website bring to your client regardless of how you make the website. I am currently reading Russel Brunsons Traffic secrets and it's pretty good.

Will make another thread as soon as I finish the course to record my progress.

And thank you to all of the members who replied to this thread and gave their insights.

Really grateful to be a part of this amazing community

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023

Hey, don't delay it with learning. I've spent 3 days getting the first client, and then learned Web design - and I've spent total of 4 days it. The course was a top-selling Web Design from Vaako Shvilli. I didn't even go past the first part tbh, because this is very much enough to do good designs. Look at the works:

Job N1:
https://michael-collins-electrical-services.webflow.io

Job N2:

Go get clients first, tell them "okay, will be done in 2 weeks". And *then* start learning web design.

You're gonna make it. Btw, if you have any question, feel free to ask.

yashdutt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 14, 2022
India
Hey, don't delay it with learning. I've spent 3 days getting the first client, and then learned Web design - and I've spent total of 4 days it. The course was a top-selling Web Design from Vaako Shvilli. I didn't even go past the first part tbh, because this is very much enough to do good designs. Look at the works:

Job N1:
https://michael-collins-electrical-services.webflow.io

Job N2:

Go get clients first, tell them "okay, will be done in 2 weeks". And *then* start learning web design.

You're gonna make it. Btw, if you have any question, feel free to ask.
Hey, I tried doing the same thing when I started the SMMA, and the first thing we agreed on doing is the website. I didn't have much experience in building IRL wordpress websites. The client already had a website but wanted me to make a better one. I delayed the 1 week work to 1 month as I kept procrastinating and kept resetting the website as I didn't like any theme which met my requirements. At last I was left with one day to finish the website. I just applied a random theme and made a basic home page with a call to action button and a small funnel to people entering their email.

The client just paid around 150$ for the website which I had to refund as he said "You are in University, finish your studies first and then I'll consider working together". He didn't like the website too. I told him that I'm gonna keep it minimalistic but in fact I ripped off most of the important information which was needed on the home page.

That's why I believe on learning first how to make websites which deliver value and enhance my other skills needed first.I just want to create a few demo websites in the niche I want to target. Also, I go to university 5 days a week, around 10 hours a day including traveling after which I'm totally tired, so most of the times I just lay down till I sleep. I can't quit University because my parents won't let me and I chose this course myself. And my parents had to pay the refund for the project I mentioned so they don't support me for my website design endeavours lol. I don't blame them, it's just that it's too foreign to them what I'm trying to do here. At last they just want to me to settle down and earn good.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.