The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Delayed site launch

KimJay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 24, 2010
I am going to semi-launch my site this Friday. Let me explain, I have another event I am promoting it's actually a NYE party. I have my webite listed as a sponsor on all of my flyers. The flyers will be distributed starting this Friday. We are planning on doing tv commercials and radio ads. The website will be mentioned on all advertising.

The site is not finished. I have my web developer creating a splash page. Where when people go to the site there will be video of me introducing the site, telling why it was created (telling them how I am filling their need). And inviting people to leave their email and we will inform them of our launch party time and details. We let the visitors know that we are compiling a lot of info and that is why the site will be launched in January. If we need to we will update the video periodically. I want to keep people's interest/build anticipation even though the site is not live yet. Any other ideas on how to do this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
If you don't have content\system yet, I really wouldn't rely on a video to intrigue people. A short phrase about what you're going to do (in a way that adds a little 'mystery'), will be more likely to get people to leave an email.

It is very tough to get anyone to watch a video even if friends recommend it, let alone a random website.

Make sure to have some type of link to your privacy policy, like you won't sell their emails, or spam them. And say you'll email them about the launch of the website if they enter their emails, and have a checkbox for if they want to know about the details for the launch party.

Idk, that's just my thoughts, anyone disagree?

TOLDUSO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 29, 2008
New Orleans
While I admit that I am not completely in the know of exactly what you are doing, and you may have a method to starting with a splash page, I would tend to err that if it's not complete, then don't jump the gun.

The law of averages is going to dictate that a percentage of folks won't visit to start with, some of those that do won't watch the video, much less leave an email, and some of those that leave an email will never click the link to come back once you alert them of the site's completion. I would save the advertising money you are about to spend and use it when it counts and where people are more apt to spread the word about what your site offers. Just seems that it would be the safest bet on most likely scenario of growing and succeeding.

KimJay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 24, 2010
@Tolduso...I am not technically wasting any money as the focus of my promotions is not the site. It's my NYE party. I am just saying "such and such party is presented by such and such website" on all my advertising materials. So the promotions are just to get people to be aware that the site exists. If they are curious enough..they will check out the site. If they aren't that curious yet, at least they will hopefully recall later on when I do focus on soley promoting the website in a few weeks..that hey I saw something about that site awhile ago. Also at my party I will have banners with the website name up. And the party DJ will give some shout outs on the mic.

Icy I like the privacy policy link. I'm still on the fence about the video though. It could be really interesting or it could backfire. My husband is very well known in the city, alot of people know who I am through him. So I am hopeing that will help with video views as well?

KimJay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 24, 2010
I decided to not go with the video after all. I think I am going to go with the mystery phrase Icy talked about...telling a little bit about our launch party. I will also do a link to the privacy policy detailing how we won't spam and or sell emails. Thanks guys! I hope this is enough to build a little anticipation. The reason I am even getting the word out so early is I hate to not take advantage of all the advertising I am doing for NYE.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Could you web developer allow you to do split testing? Have some receive the website without the video, and some with it? Then see the conversions for either? You could even do it to test what the right type of wording is (if the video doesn't have as good of conversions)

Mixergy.com uses a video player called Wistia, and if I remember right I think it might show you how much of the video people also watch.

Just throwing out some more ideas!

KimJay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 24, 2010
Thank you Icy I really appreciate your feedback. I decided to go with a short paragraph telling about our launch party and asking for emails so we can send them free tickets. What do you think of this?

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I think the best way to tell will be to see how conversions go. :)

Definitely keep us updated on how it goes!

KimJay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 24, 2010
Here is my update for the website. I officially launched the site on January 14th. The Launch party was held at a trendy nightclub in my city. They allowed me to have my signage up..my logo and video fo the site on all their flat screens. They also offered us free food and 1 free drink coupon to anyone who mentioned my website. We had drinks that were named after my website etc. We also broadcast the party live on my website.

The launch party went great! The place was packed. My site has been getting about 40 hits per day. with a 50% return rate.The average user stays on my site for appx 7 minutes. I am going to partner with another local lounge for a party they are throwing on the 25th of Feb. I'm also trying to learn SEO on my own, but I am struggling. I still have not ranked for some uncompetitive key words.

All in all I believe the site is doing well. I have already had advertising interest and one adspace purchased. I feel now it's all about the functionality of the site, content, and marketing. Hmm, it sounds so easy when you say it!

Affportal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 15, 2011
Hey there. I'm a full time internet marketer. I'd be happy to help you out with your seo efforts. I founded affportal.com and teach a little seo at ppvplaybook.com. I'm sitting happily in the fast lane and love to help out with all things technical and interwebz oriented.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.