The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Deep Work by Cal Newport: Is it worth it?

For any book discussion

Sprocket

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 7, 2018
UK
Hi! Yes I’ve read it and loved it. It helped me think about how I was allocating my time in a way I’d never considered before.

I use his scheduling method on a daily basis and it really helps focus.

His approach may not be for everyone but you can’t help but think about your time, productivity and focus in a new light after reading it, which can only be a good thing!

You’ve posted a lot of questions about books / reading... are you asking for genuine curiosity or is it research? If you are researching I would be happy to help and I’m sure others on here would too, you might get more effective answers if you ask us directly :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I enjoyed the book although it was a little longer than it needed it to be.

It really dives into the destructiveness of technology/smartphones as it applies to focused, attentiveness, and deep work. Something as a writer I find a necessity.

wordwarrior

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 16, 2019
Montreal, Canada
You’ve posted a lot of questions about books / reading... are you asking for genuine curiosity or is it research? If you are researching I would be happy to help and I’m sure others on here would too, you might get more effective answers if you ask us directly :)

Well, it's two things:

1) I have a long commute where I don't have the opportunity to do anything but read. I have a cheap laptop that I can type and do work on, but much of the time the bus trip is too bumpy to do anything but read (would rather not get into a rant about the road maintenance in this province). So, given the lack of time to do actual venture work, I might as well read something useful.
2) It's one of those things where I have a general interest in the topic but I haven't formulated specific questions in my surface conscious thought processes, anyway.

Sprocket

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 7, 2018
UK
Well, it's two things:

1) I have a long commute where I don't have the opportunity to do anything but read. I have a cheap laptop that I can type and do work on, but much of the time the bus trip is too bumpy to do anything but read (would rather not get into a rant about the road maintenance in this province). So, given the lack of time to do actual venture work, I might as well read something useful.
2) It's one of those things where I have a general interest in the topic but I haven't formulated specific questions in my surface conscious thought processes, anyway.
Ah I see, yeah commuting is an excellent time to read. Dig through the site, there are so many amazing recommendations and also check out the forum books that are being read. I also like to google other inspirational peoples reading lists.

MJ has given some recommendations here. I’ve read quite a few and can honestly say I’ve enjoyed and grown from everyone. I just finished the miracle morning and wow that’s changed my days for the better!

Also, if you haven’t got it try audible, I usually have a book on the go on that for when I’m walking, driving, drying my hair lol, and one that I’m reading.

I’d defo recommend Deep Work though

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Yes definitely one of my favorite books. I think the audiobook version is for free on youtube in case the price of it is holding you back from buying it.

Valhalla

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Mar 6, 2019
It's worth a read, it feels like a magazine article expanded into a book but the concept is really solid. I've applied it and it helps to focus on a specific task although on a sustained basis I find it drives me nuts and stifles creativity

Ronny

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 29, 2018
Chicago, IL
Instead of simply answering this question I'd like to suggest this idea that I've used to increase my reading and enjoyment of it.

Request the book from your local library (free!), read the first 20-50 pages, and then decided for yourself whether it's interesting. If it's not, don't force it, just move on (and then read his Digital Minimalism book :p)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Instead of simply answering this question I'd like to suggest this idea that I've used to increase my reading and enjoyment of it.

Request the book from your local library (free!), read the first 20-50 pages, and then decided for yourself whether it's interesting. If it's not, don't force it, just move on (and then read his Digital Minimalism book :p)
About Digital Minimalism I am already far away from Social Media (thanks to Deep Work and other works) and I know the why of keeping again from digital stuff in general, should I still read the book? Which are the main reasons?

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
Yes, I have read it. I do recommend it along with his other book. He also just released another one too but I have not read it.

Deep Work and his overall message are vital to any entrepreneur. He talks about some common concepts regarding work and discusses them from a different angle.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.