The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Deal or No Deal?

Marketing, social media, advertising
G

Guest12120

Here is the deal:

You are given an opportunity to sell a product that is a best seller on Amazon. The current seller (brand owner) has to remove the product from Amazon so
would have to open your own e-commerce store. This product is patented and you would be the only seller. You can't use the brand's website, so you wouldn't have any SEO advantage. You can't use any customer data.

Here are the product details:
It's a leak and spill proof water bottle for kids - huge market
It has over 2,200 reviews on Amazon with the average rating of 4.5 (you will be able to transfer them to your store) - exceptional quality
Current sales are over 250 units a day on Amazon - high demand
The MSRP is very attractive - 2 bottles for $11.99. You can't increase the price - very affordable
Cost of goods sold is only $2.45/2 bottles (79% margin) - sweet margins

You have access to 100,000 units, so you won't have to worry about selling out. You are responsible only for the units you sell, so you won't have to pay for the inventory ahead of time. You won't be charge for storage either.

Brand owner will provide any images or videos you will need for your ads. Including customer video testimonials.

The cost of shipping with FedEx would be $4.99 per 2 bottles. You will charge your customers the same. Small shipping fee most likely wouldn't affect the conversion rate too much. Delivery time 2-7 days. Same day fulfillment.

Conditions of the deal are the following:

You have to use Facebook Ads to send traffic to your store. New ad account. New Facebook Pixel. Cold traffic than retargeting when you build your custom audiences.
You have to spend at least $5k/month on ads.
After 60 days: If you are profitable, you get $10k bonus. If you lose money, you will have to pay $10k penalty.

Would you take this deal?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest12120

But, for someone who knows Amazon and FB advertising, it seems like a no brainer. In fact, with a current 250 sales/day on a patented
You can't sell it on Amazon. Just your new E-commerce store.

All you have is a unique market proven product with tons of social proof with great margins.

G

Guest12120

I just saw on Twitter that the company that I used for the product example in this thread just recalled 5.7 million kids water bottles :eek: Disregard this information when making your decision if you would take this deal or not.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Hehe... your conditions about the deal really got me scared now.

Im launching an UNTESTED product in my own shopify store and planning to get traffic through fbook ads.

Lets see how this goes lol :D

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
All you have is a unique market proven product with tons of social proof with great margins.

Margins sound good but you only have $9.50 or so to acquire customers. No way I would bet $10,000 that I could acquire customers at that price. I feel like most people with kids have seen the bottles that you are referring to so I doubt this would go viral and I don't see another way to acquire customers at $9.50.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Too low margins, as @1step pointed out

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
So many things could go wrong here, and you have no control.
voGMGTr.jpg

G

Guest12120

@1step and @Tourmaline are correct. Even though, you would be selling a proven high demand product with a great margin and minimal risk, the price is just too low to make Facebook Ads work.

Product Price - $11.99 + 4.99 shipping = $16.98

COGS - $2.45
Shipping - $4.99
Payment Processing - $0.79 (2.9%+$0.30)
Cost (before ad spend) - $8.23

Max Allowed Cost Per Purchase - $8.75

I'll create another post where I'll break down why CPP this low is extremely high to achieve at scale.

If your business requires Elite Top 1% Ad Performance to be profitable, it's probably not a business you want to be in.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.