Does anyone have any previous experience in growing niche sites? (direct e-commerce sales, not affiliates or anything)
Are there any dangers to watch out for when adding other relevant products to a niche website?
i.e imagine a site called hottubs.com who then add garden furniture to their range with a top level category and some space on the home page.
It's highly relevant, appropriate and the buyers of Hot Tubs would likely want furniture, and the buyers of furniture could possibly also want a hot tub if they land on the site.
But is there any dangers like diluting the site and affecting sales of the primary niche? Do people looking for a hot tub want to see a site that's solely about hot tubs, and any deviation would potentially lose a sale?
I might just be over-thinking it. I have a niche site that does well but it's a bit limited for my grand ambitions, I am wanting to add two more ranges of highly relevant products to make my niche site a bit broader (I don't sell hot tubs, but it felt like a good example!).
Of course a good answer would be to try it and find out as we can simply hide the categories if it doesn't work but I wanted to get a few opinions first.
Are there any dangers to watch out for when adding other relevant products to a niche website?
i.e imagine a site called hottubs.com who then add garden furniture to their range with a top level category and some space on the home page.
It's highly relevant, appropriate and the buyers of Hot Tubs would likely want furniture, and the buyers of furniture could possibly also want a hot tub if they land on the site.
But is there any dangers like diluting the site and affecting sales of the primary niche? Do people looking for a hot tub want to see a site that's solely about hot tubs, and any deviation would potentially lose a sale?
I might just be over-thinking it. I have a niche site that does well but it's a bit limited for my grand ambitions, I am wanting to add two more ranges of highly relevant products to make my niche site a bit broader (I don't sell hot tubs, but it felt like a good example!).
Of course a good answer would be to try it and find out as we can simply hide the categories if it doesn't work but I wanted to get a few opinions first.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
