The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dan Lok failed 13 times in business? How did he recover?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Was Dan Lok not really, really broke?
How did Dan Lok recover 13 times?

Yes, willpower. But I mean financially and factually.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dzackb3l

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jul 27, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Can't you tell that he is just pure BS? I personally can't believe a single thing he says... At least if you want to impress people who fall for appearance, rent a Bentley and drive it through the city not some sh*tty green screen edited by amateurs to mimic the movement of the car. I only watched him once to figure out that he's BS! He might have made some money, but definitely selling books and programs not following the BS he's selling. MUTE all that crap and focus on your ideas!

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
I smell a rat. Why have we been hearing "Dan Lok" so often recently?

Something is up. Weaseling is afoot. Definitely the work of some species of rodent.

But to answer your question, OP: he borrowed the money from family and friends for those businesses. They generally don't initiate bankruptcy like banks would.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I started noticing Dan Lok's ads and wanted to see what all the hype was about. Especially since he's also from Vancouver. VanCity represent yo

So I watched several of his videos. Actually saw some good shit. Apparently he's a martial artist too, so I dig that

NOW HERE IS WHAT I DO NOT GET!

So one of his videos features an (apparently) live sales call, where he sells consulting for $10000 for two hours. Ok cool, that's a lot of money.

So then I watched his seminar where he spends 20 minutes talking about his life and what he owns now, which includes a $15 MILLION PENTHOUSE. And he explicitly states that he OWNS it.

You see what I'm saying? When the numbers don't F*cking add up that's when I start to smell bullshit, and i got a sense of smell like a bloodhound.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
The average entrepreneur is said to fail 3.8 times, so I guess the majority only failed 1-2 times and he pushed up the average lol.

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
So one of his videos features an (apparently) live sales call, where he sells consulting for $10000 for two hours. Ok cool, that's a lot of money.

So then I watched his seminar where he spends 20 minutes talking about his life and what he owns now, which includes a $15 MILLION PENTHOUSE. And he explicitly states that he OWNS it.
That would mean 1500 of those calls.
Can't you tell that he is just pure BS?
Sorry, not that much.
I am not willing to defend him, but maybe the Bentley is a motivation for the watcher.
He also flew a private jet at some point.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
NOW HERE IS WHAT I DO NOT GET!

You see what I'm saying? When the numbers don't f*cking add up

Business is not for you. Stick to the slow lane.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
The average entrepreneur is said to fail 3.8 times, so I guess the majority only failed 1-2 times and he pushed up the average lol.

3.8? Scott Adams failed at something like 36 different business before he started Dilbert. He has failed at 2-3 careers, too.

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Doesn't that say something to you and the types of threads you start?
No, it does not. And some have even been moved there without explaination.

Please say it.

Why do you still start dumb threads if you have 5+ in the landfill?
Because that does not necessarily mean that this thread is dumb.

NovaAria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 18, 2018
You see what I'm saying? When the numbers don't f*cking add up that's when I start to smell bullshit, and i got a sense of smell like a bloodhound.
I think his numbers do add up as he's running several businesses and his wife is an entrepreneur as well.
What I dont like is how much he shows off. His videos get cut off with his images from his own ads and shit.
Clearly a guru practice.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
No, it does not. And some have even been moved there without explaination.

Please say it.

Because that does not necessarily mean that this thread is dumb.

No explanation?

It means that they are useless, stupid and contribute 0 to the forum. Those are the sole reasons they are moved there.

Go out there and do something, start a business. You will learn a lot more instead of wondering what some "dan lok" is doing and how he failed...

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
What business has he built?

That'll separate a Guru from the Real Deal. Searching on google and I can't find the answer, all Im seeing is "Consultant" and "Millionaire Mentor". Maybe Im wrong but I can't find it.

If I type in MJ, the first and second link say Limos.com STRAIGHT AWAY (not to mention his books and the forum)

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Business is not for you. Stick to the slow lane.
What a stupid comment, you know nothing about me boy

I think his numbers do add up as he's running several businesses and his wife is an entrepreneur as well.
What I dont like is how much he shows off. His videos get cut off with his images from his own ads and sh*t.
Clearly a guru practice.
But that's the thing, what are those other businesses? His most visible racket is teaching other people how to run businesses, but as for how he made all his money?

I don't doubt he could get together the money for a $15M suite if he hustled, but $15M for a crib is like Bruce Willis money. So either I'm totally missing something, or he's just like all the other gurus we see. Pretty clearly guru practice like you say.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
From what I could glean, he got his copywriting to the point he could sell sales letters for $10k apiece (back before copywriting was a widely shared "make money online" concept) to big clients, due to a combination of acquiring an expert mentor in that space, targeting the correct markets well, and being good at sales letters. He then reinvested it into the "digital products" rush (clickbank etc), back when that bandwagon was only just starting to roll, the market wasn't as flooded, and the margins were high.

Anyone who's worried about following gurus: just read the biographies of the dead then. Guaranteed: they ain't selling anything. Turns out they all did pretty much the same things.

All this anti-guru stuff is just action avoidance. It's a very subtle, weasely way of naysaying instead of just doing the work. Don't go looking for them if you don't believe in them -- unless the goal is to only to shittalk, as opposed to make money.

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
What some of you guys are saying its ridiculous. You don't watch his material for more than a few months, you don't know his past, in what businesses he is in, his investments, not even what he shares and his mentality!

Guys, go work and focus on what matters.

And if you end up listening to his material, listen closely, because for his free material, what he shares, can definitely give a new traction to people lives.

JasonEP

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Mar 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA

What businesses is he running? How can anyone actually running "several" businesses have time to spend giving motivational talks and "helping others" on youtube? Especially when in addition to "running several businesses" he's also selling additional amounts of his time in the form of multi-hour long consulting gigs.

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
What businesses is he running? How can anyone actually running "several" businesses have time to spend giving motivational talks and "helping others" on youtube? Especially when in addition to "running several businesses" he's also selling additional amounts of his time in the form of multi-hour long consulting gigs.

Go figure how Mark Cuban has his feet on 80+ businesses.

JasonEP

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Mar 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Go figure how Mark Cuban has his feet on 80+ businesses.

Investing in a business ≠ Running a business

And when Cuban is on podcasts/tv/radio to pitch products they are actual products.

And he has an actual track record of starting successful businesses.....and when you look for businesses Lok runs you don't find anything but his courses.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
For the naysaying never-going-to-amount-to-anything douchebags: observe one of his fellow guru buddies, who has laid out in detail how he got there, on a yearly basis since he started:
https://projectlifemastery.com/my-june-2017-monthly-goals-report/

Oh, looks like another guru!! He must be a crook! He must have made his money only from consulting and fakery!

Except those goal reports of his go back to when he had a full head of black hair (you can see his oldest youtube videos) and was making a pittance. Except he's explained in detail that he got his start with kindle books (he made north of 500 of them, some himself, some hiring ghostwriters), before then expanding into courses on how to make money with kindle books yourself (leveraging that skill he built up), before then expanding into other areas, leveraging his stable recurring income.

But I don't know the specific naaaames of his companies! So it must all be fake!

If you get rich and then tell others how to do it: you're a guru faker! If you don't tell anyone, then you got it by graft or in impossible ways I'll never know so it couldn't apply to me!

I'm not satisfied with being a no-hoper loser, I want to verbalize it on an ongoing basis all over other people! That's where the loser get's his fullest and most pleasurable self-indulgence.

F*ck, this place draws some absolute, complete and utter loser, self-inflicted, garbage attitude, committed defeatist mentality, [redacted].

If I ran it, grumbling at the rich would be an automatic permaban offence, and any new registrant would have to go through a screening test to weed out those who are just here to self-indulge and drag the rest of us down.

Last edited:

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
No explanation?

It means that they are useless, stupid and contribute 0 to the forum. Those are the sole reasons they are moved there.

I agree that the arrogance thread was garbage.
But the thread about what MJ DeMarco plays on the piano was posted into off-topic deliberately.
And the thread about treasonous decisions addressed a topic in the TMF book, which was still moved without explaination to the landfill.
The moderators either overlooked or ignored my request for a brief explaination, which left me confused.

Go out there and do something, start a business. You will learn a lot more instead of wondering what some "dan lok" is doing and how he failed...

Embraced. I am looking forward to learning much.

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany

How can anyone actually running "several" businesses have time to spend giving motivational talks and "helping others" on youtube?

Alright, good questions!
I totally have to agree on them.

JasonEP

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Mar 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
For the naysaying never-going-to-amount-to-anything douchebags: observe one of his fellow guru buddies, who has laid out in detail how he got there, on a yearly basis since he started:
https://projectlifemastery.com/my-june-2017-monthly-goals-report/

Oh, looks like another guru!! He must be a crook! He must have made his money only from consulting and fakery!

But I don't know the specific naaaames of his companies! So it must all be fake!

If you get rich and then tell others how to do it: you're a guru faker! If you don't tell anyone, then you got it by graft or in impossible ways I'll never know so it couldn't apply to me!

I'm not satisfied with being a no-hoper loser, I want to verbalize it on an ongoing basis all over other people! That's where the loser get's his fullest and most pleasurable self-indulgence.

f*ck, this place draws some absolute, complete and utter loser, self-inflicted, garbage attitude, committed defeatist mentality, [redacted].

If I ran it, grumbling at the rich would be an automatic permaban offence, and any new registrant would have to go through a screening test to weed out those who are just here to self-indulge and drag the rest of us down.

Well I'm very glad that you aren't in charge of this forum. If you were to start your own forum and implement that rule your forum would consist of nothing but guru get rich quick think positive and you'll make billions circlejerk posts.

Look, you've been very defensive when it comes to fighting for the honor of these BS artists in multiple threads now. It sounds like you are fully bought into their "systems". (or apparently are Dan Lok in disguise) So I don't expect to get through to you. But I'll give it one more chance. If you don't take anything away from this, then I won't bother you anymore and I won't make another post about it.

You seem to be in a stage where you don't know what you don't know. I don't mean this in a negative way at all. I don't know what kind of background you come from. I'm someone that has been put in a position where I'm surrounded by highly successful people. I've been extremely lucky and extremely fortunate to personally make ACTUAL connections with people that make extremely high six figure to mid seven figures a year in actual small businesses/self employment/independent sales roles/etc. These aren't made up anecdotes or people that I've shook hands with once. These are family members/friends of family/neighbors that I can call at any time and know that they will either answer the phone right then or will call me back before the end of the day.

Not a single one of them has ever approached me or anyone else and asked if I wanted to pay $2500 to hear their "secrets and systems". When I've asked for advice, none of them told me some vague power of positive thinking phrase and then asked for $1000 so they could email a list of tips to be successful. None of them have the time to "mentor" me like they are some monk meditating on a mountain waiting to take my hand and bring me up to their level. They "mentor" me by giving me free advice and teaching me their own decision making process.

Just because people don't like snake oil salesmen doesn't mean we are, in your literal words: "No-hoper losers with absolute, complete and utter loser, self-inflicted, garbage attitude, committed defeatist mentality, naysaying never-going-to-amount-to-anything douchebags" This doesn't make any sense. Nobody here is mad that they are rich and we will never be on their level. They don't like the insidious intentions of these individuals. The fact that you would call people these names shows that you haven't yet worked on being able to take bias out of your thought process. Just because we don't agree with this method of thinking doesn't make us losers or douchebags. Being able to see why people think the way they think without bringing your own bias is a skill that needs to be worked on. Instead of brushing people off, at least be able to look at their point of view.

While the mass media says rich people are greedy and only interested in making money, talking about money, and getting power; I've found the exact opposite. All of the wealthy people I've met WANT to help others. I've never been turned away when I've asked for advice and been on plenty of ride-alongs. If they didn't know how to help me they usually knew someone who did, and would always give me a warm introduction to them. I've also never been charged for any advice. This was all either given to me for free, or they paid me to help them while I learned.

They've all also been extremely humble and don't need to promote "think positive and the money will come!" They don't need to actively think positive or look for motivational speeches before they start their day, and they sure as hell don't think about money all the time. They are naturally VERY positive people. This is because they are pursuing their meaning and purpose that MJ talks about in the books. They don't need to "get hyped" before making a sales call. They have become disciplined over decades of experience and pursuing their meaning and purpose everyday.

The difference between truly successful people and people like Lok is obvious when you've met enough successful people. Lok's approach is to seek you out and say "Look at how rich I am from selling expensive stuff. I want to help you be like me! Buy my $2500 course! I really do want to help! Think positive and the money will come!" Actual successful people aren't pushing this on anyone. People like me would seek THEM out. I would ask for specific advice and would get specific answers, no questions asked, no promises of riches, and no bill at the end asking for money. They know that this is a process. A discipline, just like people who stick to lifting weights and eating right for years and years. It isn't motivation. Its discipline. They don't need to tell me to think positive, as just being around them I can see that they are positive. They walk the walk. Their positivity comes from within, from their years of discipline and pursuing their meaning and purpose. Not from going around bragging about their money.

tl;dr: Don't mistake people that dislike gurus as, in your words: "never-going-to-amount-to-anything douchebags". Not liking something that you like doesn't mean that person is negative and trying to bring you down and be a "hater". When someone sees actual success in the real world and then see that everything online goes the exact opposite of what they've seen actually work, that person will be skeptical of the online people with no proof.

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
By the way, Dan Peña, his alleged mentor is never worth 50 billion dollars.

Dan Lok claims he is.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
By the way, Dan Peña, his alleged mentor is never worth 50 billion dollars.

Dan Lok claims he is.

In fairness, Peña never claimed to be worth 50B. His claim is that he's helped others build 50B in wealth. Not sure if it's true, but it's an important distinction.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.