The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Crowdsource your dream car

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Maybe a Lambo isn't just right for you, well why not go full custom:

Open source is by now a proven model for software design—could car design go the same way? Massachusetts enterprise Local Motors has set the wheels in motion. By crowdsourcing designs from a unique global community of designers, and manufacturing to order in regional micro-factories, Local Motors represents a paradigm shift from industry-standard mass production.

buyPage_pic450x255.jpg

From Springwise.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
How's that for niche- combining programming and sports cars :)

I noticed you got that from Springwise, although this is the "off-topic" forums, I was wondering if that is one of the sources you use to find ideas for affiliates?

The reason I ask, is because I know that there were about 50 sites from 30DC Day 1 as far as niche finding and this right here would be an interesting niche to look into as you can see in my sig that "sports cars" were the market I pursued to find niche level keywords ;)

Looking back though, I would've been better off choosing something I didn't have as much of an emotional attachment to so I could learn the process better, especially since I haven't used any of my Adwords coupons yet for fear that I'll waste them :(

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Thats a bad idea. Most people have poor taste and no friends who will tell them that they do.

Their is a reason everyone isn't a car designer. That thing in the OP looks like an abortion.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Thats a bad idea. Most people have poor taste and no friends who will tell them that they do.

Their is a reason everyone isn't a car designer. That thing in the OP looks like an abortion.

I don't think it's meant to be for mass production. I doubt their business model is for the masses but instead car enthusiasts. And there are ALOT of car enthusiasts. As a car follower myself, I can say I've never been totally satisfied with any of the cars I've owned. There's always been some major things I've wanted to adjust, and I've owned some pretty decent cars.

And who really cares what other people think? There will always be those people who buy based on other people's styles and how they can fit into them, but if I were able to build a badass design that I liked - I really don't care how I would be viewed if I like it. It's alot like clothing, what one person wears can be viewed as stylish while other people view it as ridiculous. This business model allows consumers to show more individuality (like clothing), opposed to choosing from a few models dictated by car companies.

By the way, Business Week did a huge story about this last Spring. The basic idea was that if Google ran the automotive industry it wouldn't be in this predicament.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Come resale time you would care.

phade

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2008
Hawaii
I like it. Here's some video of it in motion:

Video: Local Motors Rally Fighter getting down and dirty — Autoblog

This is definitely a niche product for those more likely to drive it into the ground than baby it for resale later down the road. In fact you need to "build it yourself" :

Local Motors (scroll down to #35)

If I remember correctly this has something to do with Federal regulations and this being classified as a kit car.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.