The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Crisis: Necessary to enjoy building your business?

Anything related to matters of the mind
D

DeletedUser0287

Quick Background (Feel Free to Skip)
I am kind of in a rut. I have failed in business numerous times mainly due to underestimating how much money it costs to actually build a real ecommerce brand. So I abandoned that and will only do ecommerce once I have mild success in a low monetary capital venture or safe high capital venture (real estate). As MJ pointed out, if I don't have monetary capital, I have to use human capital, aka time intensive ventures.

I chose software, but just realized I am learning arbitrarily. Just right now decided to stop learning to code until I have a solid idea and learn what needs to be done based on that idea. But have no app ideas worth pursuing. The app ideas I did have were executed well. Aka the need in the market has been filled. No sense in me making an app that for a need that has been filled.

My fallback was that if I don't have an idea or my app idea fails, I will have skills to garner a high wage in a job with a portfolio of failed apps, but man I spending a lot of time learning to code just to get a slowlane job? Realized this is going to take a lot longer to get good enough to get a job in programming as well.

Back to the thread title, I don't actually enjoy programming that much. But I don't enjoy my current healthcare job either. Should I just suck it up and keep doing this healthcare job I dislike until I have enough funds to build up my real estate (Real estate over ecommerce). Probabilities of success is higher and much safer than to gamble all that cash in ecommerce or high capital business venture.

DO SOMETHING YOU HATE TO GET WHAT YOU WANT?

I think others have touched on it, but choosing a business on passion is stupid right? It should be based on NEEDS of the market. Most needs, are satisfied by current offerings in my experience. But passion is necessary in the beginning too right? It’s probably part of the reason I am dropping of programming for a bit or when the going gets tough. Yah know, I don't really want to do business to be honest. What I am saying is that I just want the end goal of riches (event). I spend a lot of my time day dreaming: Women, Cars, Big House, Freedom, Power. I don't actually love the process. I don't want to do programming or real estate. I don't have the desire to manage tenants, building wireframes, etc. Does anyone? But I KNOW this is a means to get me my end goal.

"I immediately become passionate on what makes money" - Someone. I read this somewhere on this forum. I have tried to follow it, but doesn't feel right. Which is why I have been trucking through things I don't like hoping that it creates a lot of money and my passion will follow.

This is how I feel about entrepreneurship now. I am doing something I am not passionate about to get the end goal. Is this how I am suppose to feel? Spending years or maybe even a decade trucking doing something your don't like, so you cash out and just live later on? I should clarify, the POTENTIAL to live the dream. If I were to go with the closest thing to a passionate business venture - it would just be lifting weights all day. But we all know fitness is saturated and the need has been overly filled. I have abandoned my hobby of lifting weights for years all to do business. But now, I am just sitting here having any other life crisis.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
I think the quote you're paraphrasing is from MJ, and it was about him being passionate about selling dog shit if there was a market for it.

You have to get passionate about the process. It's a game of stacking your chips, one customer at a time in the beginning. The idea is to delegate and implement systems ASAP, and remove yourself from working in the company so you can start working on the company. I think this is where you are stuck.

In the beginning you have to program and make sales. So you want to make enough sales, as quickly as possible, so that you can hire a programmer, and remove yourself from that aspect of the business. Now your time is freed up to work strictly on sales. From there you want to sell sell sell, and build a sales system that you can hire a salesperson into. You want to be the captain of your ship. Not the first mate, deckhand, fireman, and navigator all at once.

Perhaps programming apps just isn't for you. You said you would lift weights all day everyday if it paid. There is huge opportunity in the unsexy, offline world. Everyday millions are made building, installing, and maintaining physical products and services. You might find it easier to spark passion and find satisfaction in this sector.

You’ll still have to follow the process of build, sell, implement systems, hire, and repeat. Don’t stay working in the business longer than absolutely necessary.

D

DeletedUser0287

I think the quote you're paraphrasing is from MJ, and it was about him being passionate about selling dog sh*t if there was a market for it.

You have to get passionate about the process. It's a game of stacking your chips, one customer at a time in the beginning. The idea is to delegate and implement systems ASAP, and remove yourself from working in the company so you can start working on the company. I think this is where you are stuck.

In the beginning you have to program and make sales. So you want to make enough sales, as quickly as possible, so that you can hire a programmer, and remove yourself from that aspect of the business. Now your time is freed up to work strictly on sales. From there you want to sell sell sell, and build a sales system that you can hire a salesperson into. You want to be the captain of your ship. Not the first mate, deckhand, fireman, and navigator all at once.

Perhaps programming apps just isn't for you. You said you would lift weights all day everyday if it paid. There is huge opportunity in the unsexy, offline world. Everyday millions are made building, installing, and maintaining physical products and services. You might find it easier to spark passion and find satisfaction in this sector.

You’ll still have to follow the process of build, sell, implement systems, hire, and repeat. Don’t stay working in the business longer than absolutely necessary.

Thanks. I guess my first step is to determine what offering to build. I get 100% discouraged when I see others executing well on the idea. Then what’s the point? I don’t get how MJ wasn’t discouraged when he saw others doing similar Limo websites. Pretty much all offerings suit my needs in the marketplace. Incremental changes to current competitor execution, gets easily duplicated.

Ideas that have massive value potential aren’t really hustle based (human capital) but monetary capital. Plastic problem, renewable energy, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.