- Joined
- Nov 4, 2013
- Messages
- 24
Rep Bank
$230
$230
User Power: 196%
A while ago I decided to create an app, but since I don't know how to program I've been hiring freelancers instead. Since I already have a working version and am half-way into the process of publishing it, I'll start by explaining why I wanted to create an app in the first place, and will then post the next steps I take from now. In the next post I've included what I've learned and the mistakes I've made thus far. This is the first time I've made anything useful, so if anyone else is a beginner and has any questions on how to get started creating an app, I'll be happy to answer!
So, to give a little backstory, around 6 months ago I got into the habit of taking notes from books using note apps like evernote and simplenote. The problem with this is that I've never liked the way these apps sort your notes. While they allow you to add tags and create notebooks/folders, it is always done by date/alphabetically, instead of being able to drag the notes to where you want them to be.
After I uninstalled these apps I came across an old notes app on the Play Store and I downloaded it to try it out. This app was extremely basic and outdated, but had a really good method of displaying the notes - the notes were displayed in rectangular boxes across three columns, and you could see the top few lines of the notes as previews, instead of titles.
I therefore went to the Google Play store with the intention of buying the app so that I could hire someone to add the drag and drop feature, when I noticed that it had over 100K views, and was rated over 4.5* if I remember correctly - and had a hell of a lot of ratings submitted. I emailed the developer anyway, already knowing that with that many views and ratings my offer of (which would have only have been around £300-£400) would be rejected. The email was pretty short and simple, and I basically asked if they were willing to sell it, and how much they wanted for it, to which they kindly replied that it was not for sale. (Which was odd as it hadn't been updated in years).
So since I couldn't buy the app, I hired a freelancer to build me a similar app but with the additional feature of being able to drag the notes. After many ammendments, the developer was able able to get it right. For being the first version, it was pretty good. It had no ability to create folders, but it allowed me to use my finger to drag the notes to where I wanted them to be. I used this newly created app to store just under 150 notes and spent the next few months applying updates to suit my needs. One of the updates added was a folder feature and the ability to drag the notes into these folders.
Since this app has been so useful for my personal use, and this app is an improvement over the other app that had such high ratings, I now think that its worth getting it published, and will try and use this thread to write down the next steps I take before I publish it. Thanks to everyone on this forum who has posted a progress thread, as I may not have even known how to get started if not for them.
So, to give a little backstory, around 6 months ago I got into the habit of taking notes from books using note apps like evernote and simplenote. The problem with this is that I've never liked the way these apps sort your notes. While they allow you to add tags and create notebooks/folders, it is always done by date/alphabetically, instead of being able to drag the notes to where you want them to be.
After I uninstalled these apps I came across an old notes app on the Play Store and I downloaded it to try it out. This app was extremely basic and outdated, but had a really good method of displaying the notes - the notes were displayed in rectangular boxes across three columns, and you could see the top few lines of the notes as previews, instead of titles.
I therefore went to the Google Play store with the intention of buying the app so that I could hire someone to add the drag and drop feature, when I noticed that it had over 100K views, and was rated over 4.5* if I remember correctly - and had a hell of a lot of ratings submitted. I emailed the developer anyway, already knowing that with that many views and ratings my offer of (which would have only have been around £300-£400) would be rejected. The email was pretty short and simple, and I basically asked if they were willing to sell it, and how much they wanted for it, to which they kindly replied that it was not for sale. (Which was odd as it hadn't been updated in years).
So since I couldn't buy the app, I hired a freelancer to build me a similar app but with the additional feature of being able to drag the notes. After many ammendments, the developer was able able to get it right. For being the first version, it was pretty good. It had no ability to create folders, but it allowed me to use my finger to drag the notes to where I wanted them to be. I used this newly created app to store just under 150 notes and spent the next few months applying updates to suit my needs. One of the updates added was a folder feature and the ability to drag the notes into these folders.
Since this app has been so useful for my personal use, and this app is an improvement over the other app that had such high ratings, I now think that its worth getting it published, and will try and use this thread to write down the next steps I take before I publish it. Thanks to everyone on this forum who has posted a progress thread, as I may not have even known how to get started if not for them.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
