The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Could my job actually be my best shot at future business?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
D

Deleted50669

I think a lot of us went through this through process early on. I know I did. I thought, "Wow, I know myself pretty well, maybe I can just find an organizational culture within which I fit well." This is bullshit, because organizations fundamentally are run by people who don't care about your well-being. They care about the bottom line, because they have to. I recently learned this the hard way myself. You will not be able to scale your income, it will increase in small increments while the business owners scales his income from your efforts.

You may say, "Well 404, I don't need a ton of money." Perhaps not, after all, there is an MLB player who chooses to live out of a piece of shit van. But more important in my opinion is freedom. Most people get to a point in their careers where they say "F*ck this shit, I want to own my time and what I do with it." The real beauty of entrepreneurship is being able to wake up whenever and do whatever you want.

Again, it's just my opinion, but I think you're just making it easier for yourself to avoid putting in the effort. We all have to put in the effort to get the biscuit. Don't be one of those guys who excuses themselves into a lame life every time they get a glimpse of hope. I work on my SaaS product from 8:00 PM to 1:00 AM every day, at a minimum. It F*ckin SUCKS. I do sacrifice social events and other things I'd rather be doing. But when I'm getting dings on my phone from purchases next year that's not gonna suck.

El Príncipe

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 1, 2018
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Finished TMF and Unscripted some weeks ago. Thought of some ideas and (field) researched them a bit. Nothing solid though.

In the meantime my focus at work has suffered. I'm not putting in my full 100%. Which is somewhat to be expected I guess. But doing a sub par job is causing me stress (not being on the ball is causing a back up and a feeling of lack of control). And spreading my attention too thin (between work, searching a business idea, social life) is making me feel constantly overwhelmed, trying to keep track of all the balls I'm juggling.

This week I started thinking this:

Maybe it's better to just fully focus on my job. This way I regain focus. Continue to build skills, reputation and a network. Then I can uncover opportunities in the space and start selling some of those skills. All while being paid for it and thus keeping everything afloat.

Background: Studied psychology. Then started working at a big venue (cafe/restaurant/bar/night spot) in town. First year: Bartender. Second year: Team leader. Third year (now): Senior management, focusing on marketing (social media management, publications) and events (booking/organizing).

I'm content with hospitality as a field. Looking to shift to the health side of the spectrum if I can (think vegan or juice companies vs. night clubs), just to have a positive and conducive environment that fits my personal values right now.

Does all of this make sense? Or am I just justifying staying in my comfort zone? This plan feels a bit like I'm postponing entrepreneurship, or is this just what MJ calls process? Would really appreciate some external input from people whose opinion I respect.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

willy99

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 19, 2018
Finished TMF and Unscripted some weeks ago. Thought of some ideas and (field) researched them a bit. Nothing solid though.

In the meantime my focus at work has suffered. I'm not putting in my full 100%. Which is somewhat to be expected I guess. But doing a sub par job is causing me stress (not being on the ball is causing a back up and a feeling of lack of control). And spreading my attention too thin (between work, searching a business idea, social life) is making me feel constantly overwhelmed, trying to keep track of all the balls I'm juggling.

This week I started thinking this:

Maybe it's better to just fully focus on my job. This way I regain focus. Continue to build skills, reputation and a network. Then I can uncover opportunities in the space and start selling some of those skills. All while being paid for it and thus keeping everything afloat.

Background: Studied psychology. Then started working at a big venue (cafe/restaurant/bar/night spot) in town. First year: Bartender. Second year: Team leader. Third year (now): Senior management, focusing on marketing (social media management, publications) and events (booking/organizing).

I'm content with hospitality as a field. Looking to shift to the health side of the spectrum if I can (think vegan or juice companies vs. night clubs), just to have a positive and conducive environment that fits my personal values right now.

Does all of this make sense? Or am I just justifying staying in my comfort zone? This plan feels a bit like I'm postponing entrepreneurship, or is this just what MJ calls process? Would really appreciate some external input from people whose opinion I respect.

Are your ideas something you could execute while still employed? Not sure it needs to be a zero sum game. Your post is rather cathartic to me as I'm in a very similar situation. I, however, will be committed to my job for at least 3-5 more years regardless of what happens with my business idea. The rub though is that I enjoy my vocation and provide a valuable service, yet long to scratch my entrepreneurial itch. The ancillary effect of this is I don't act with the urgency I should. I sense that perhaps this is where you may be.

Might you consider starting with a side hustle? Based on your areas of focus you mentioned, there seem to be myriad opportunities there. That way you could prioritize, re-balance, and refocus.

El Príncipe

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 1, 2018
I think a lot of us went through this through process early on. I know I did. I thought, "Wow, I know myself pretty well, maybe I can just find an organizational culture within which I fit well." This is bullshit, because organizations fundamentally are run by people who don't care about your well-being. They care about the bottom line, because they have to. I recently learned this the hard way myself. You will not be able to scale your income, it will increase in small increments while the business owners scales his income from your efforts.

You are so right @404profound. Early on I was enamored with the company, I felt at home and it filled a lot of my needs. To some extent it still does (lots of autonomy, work from where and when I want). However, my peers and I are getting better and better, take on more responsibility and add more towards the bottom line; yet pay is not keeping up. We're getting squeezed.

I don't begrudge the owners, they put in the work to put themselves in this position and this is how the world works. I'm just looking to put myself in a position like theirs as well.

You may say, "Well 404, I don't need a ton of money." Perhaps not, after all, there is an MLB player who chooses to live out of a piece of sh*t van. But more important in my opinion is freedom. Most people get to a point in their careers where they say "f*ck this sh*t, I want to own my time and what I do with it." The real beauty of entrepreneurship is being able to wake up whenever and do whatever you want.

Exactly right again. It's definitely not just about the money. It's definitely more about freedom. The spiritual freedom of being my own man, and calling my own shots. Being an autonomous, self determined power.

Again, it's just my opinion, but I think you're just making it easier for yourself to avoid putting in the effort. We all have to put in the effort to get the biscuit. Don't be one of those guys who excuses themselves into a lame life every time they get a glimpse of hope. I work on my SaaS product from 8:00 PM to 1:00 AM every day, at a minimum. It F*ckin SUCKS. I do sacrifice social events and other things I'd rather be doing. But when I'm getting dings on my phone from purchases next year that's not gonna suck.

Maybe your right.

Whatever the outcome; my first step needs to be to step it up at work, just to catch up on tasks. Then I can regain and keep everything under control and see what I can do with my spare time; Either focus on developing skills, knowledge and side hustle opportunities, or look for a stand alone business idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

El Príncipe

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 1, 2018
Are your ideas something you could execute while still employed? Not sure it needs to be a zero sum game. Your post is rather cathartic to me as I'm in a very similar situation. I, however, will be committed to my job for at least 3-5 more years regardless of what happens with my business idea. The rub though is that I enjoy my vocation and provide a valuable service, yet long to scratch my entrepreneurial itch. The ancillary effect of this is I don't act with the urgency I should. I sense that perhaps this is where you may be.

Sounds very much like my situation. I enjoy the work itself and the satisfaction from providing value for guests.

However, I'm done with being squeezed and having other men controlling my life.

My situation is more about being distracted from my work by entrepreneurial pursuits. Then that work suffering. And then experiencing stress from the back up of work and not being on the ball with tasks. Because I'm experiencing a lack of control and lack of performance.

Might you consider starting with a side hustle? Based on your areas of focus you mentioned, there seem to be myriad opportunities there. That way you could prioritize, re-balance, and refocus.

This is exactly what I'm considering. That way I leverage the skills, knowledge and connections I already gained through this work.

Thanks for the input guys.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.