The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Could anyone give me some very high level tax advice on a business loss?

Taxes and regulation

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Hey guys, tax time is coming up and I could use a little bit of advice. I am planning to speak to an accountant but that is easier said than done this time of year. I had very little income last year as I was in the process of starting what has essentially been a failure of an app business. Total expenditure/losses on the business was in the neighborhood of $15k. I am now in the process of launching another venture and for the time being leaving the failed business behind. Filing my Federal and state w2's from my other work is a straightforward process and I should get back everything that was withheld, but I am wondering what to do regarding that $15,000 loss from the failed LLC. Can I carry that loss forward and deduct it from future earnings from a different LLC? Do I need to note that loss on my tax filing this year? Any advice would be very much appreciated. I am probably going to file for an extension if I can't get this sorted out quickly.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
Before I write my post I just want to say. I AM NOT a CPA or Tax attorney and you should talk to registered professionals in your state regarding taxes.

What is your tax election on your LLC (Sole Proprietor, S-Corp, C-Corp)? <- The answer depends on what you elected. But I'm going to guess that you just defaulted and your a sole proprietor.

It would be called an "Business Operating Loss" and you would be able to put it on your annual return. Your business loss can be used to offset other income as in (A job, other business ventures). But it won't be able to reduce your taxable income below zero. In which case yes you can carry that BOL (Business Operating Loss) To future or previous years. I'm pretty sure you can ammend the past 2 years, assuming you paid tax or had income in those past two years. If there's still losses after you use the previous two years. You can carry the business losses for up to twenty years.

GL

Kosta-B

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Call a CPA. It's March 31st, you don't have a lot of time left.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Before I write my post I just want to say. I AM NOT a CPA or Tax attorney and you should talk to registered professionals in your state regarding taxes.

What is your tax election on your LLC (Sole Proprietor, S-Corp, C-Corp)? <- The answer depends on what you elected. But I'm going to guess that you just defaulted and your a sole proprietor.

It would be called an "Business Operating Loss" and you would be able to put it on your annual return. Your business loss can be used to offset other income as in (A job, other business ventures). But it won't be able to reduce your taxable income below zero. In which case yes you can carry that BOL (Business Operating Loss) To future or previous years. I'm pretty sure you can ammend the past 2 years, assuming you paid tax or had income in those past two years. If there's still losses after you use the previous two years. You can carry the business losses for up to twenty years.

GL

Kosta-B

Thank you so much for this. I am contacting a CPA tomorrow to schedule an appointment but this makes things a lot clearer.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Another thing that you should ask about is amortization, I was also advised some things (such as web development) would have to be spread over multiple years. Not sure if that would be your case here..

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
I lucked out and got an appointment tonight so I will make sure everything is done right and clears the way for my new venture.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
@Kosta-B Awesome advice rep+++++

Thanks!

Thank you so much for this. I am contacting a CPA tomorrow to schedule an appointment but this makes things a lot clearer.

Best of wishes! Don't be afraid of our US tax system, You'll soon find by talking to your CPA that the tax system IS ALWAYS written entrepreneur's favor. You just have to be willing enough to learn about it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.