The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Convincing my parents otherwise

Prateik Lohani

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 11, 2023
This is my life so far..

I am a 19 year old guy from India.
I'm in my 2nd year of college right now and after 1 year of college, I realized that life was worth more than slaving away for a shit company- so I have decided that business would be my side.

I have confidence that I can achieve great things in business but my parents have other thoughts:
In India, if you don't know, going to college, pursuing a job (the whole engineer/doctor stereotype) and then getting an MBA is very common and it's F*cking insane to see this being promoted by everyone I know and love. I hear these success stories of people who went against the odds, even family and friends' advice, and achieved great things but that seems pointless to explain it to them.

I really really don't want a job. Worst case I'll do it for 2 years at max but I honestly would like to be better off.

My parents however have other plans.
They have the traditional mindset of the job idea and literally cannot perceive me ever doing business. I don't know if I can convince them that an MBA degree costs a shit ton of money with little to no value in today's world. Plenty of businessmen never pursued an MBA (60% of top CEOs in India don't have an MBA).

I had an idea that I might need to show some results- that I can indeed do it and make it big, but it seems they will lose faith after I fail 2 or 3 businesses. I'm not afraid of failing a hundred, but I am concerned that I may lose support from trusted people.

If you think there is some weakness within me that is preventing me from doing something that I'm supposed to, it would mean a lot if some of you could guide me on what I should do

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Idk how emigration and everything works but maybe move to Canada? It looks like you don’t really have any options in India. Once you get here making money is easy asf.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You guys are always complaining about mommy and daddy’s opinion. Grow a pair and do what you want to do.

We need to airdrop 500 gallons of testosterone cypionate in every major city over there.

Yes, it is absolutely weakness!

Last edited:

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
You must do what is best for you. I understand honoring your parent's wishes is a large part of the culture there but you can't live a life someone else decides for you. Every man and woman is accountable for his and her actions and choices, so you're accountable to do what will bring success.

The same caste systems your country abolished in the last 100 years which held back prosperity is still present within the parents of your country - you must break the mold. But you also have to work for it. It becomes easy once you apply a system but you'll have to work hard and stay dedicated. You may have to get a job - I didn't want one either, but I got one anyway and I've used it as a LEARNING experience not an EARNING experience. That's where the fastlane businesses I'm working towards come into play serving me with both the learning AND earning experience

Edit: Regarding the job, you need to know when to transition from the Slowlane job to the Fastlane life, so don't get too compliant and comfortable or you may never leave the Slowlane

Last edited:

Prateik Lohani

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 11, 2023
You indians are always complaining about mommy and daddy’s opinion. Grow a pair and do what you want to do.

We need to airdrop 500 gallons of testosterone cypionate in every major city in India for F*cks sake.

Bro i know that i have to do what i have to do; but if you haven't grown up in a culture of conditioning as brutal as ours then you should watch it before speaking.
I know that it is a weakness, I was asking for guidance not some racist comment about my country. You seem to be successful so if you could give some of your wisdom, it would be awesome.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
i know that i have to do what i have to do;
then do it.

I've been to India and have traveled all through it. I ask everyone who has a problem with what I said to go there and see for yourself.

Nobody cares if your mommy doesn't like your business idea.

If you don't do what is necessary, you will lose. You'll have a great excuse. Boo hoo, poor you. But you will not have success.

When my parents called me stupid I said "you're stupid you have a shit job I don't want to be like you". Then my dad hit me. He's 200 lbs. Your dad is probably 130 lbs. Who had it harder?? :rofl:

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
You indians are always complaining about mommy and daddy’s opinion. Grow a pair and do what you want to do.

We need to airdrop 500 gallons of testosterone cypionate in every major city in India for F*cks sake.

Asians come from a very family-orientated background, where yeah...family plays a big role.
It works very well if the elders have some great life advice.

But when times change too quickly, and even these early 'mentors' can't adapt...then we have to go out and
find new answers.

It surprises me though that even when butts are on fire, somehow folks continue using 'family' as an excuse why
they can't do something to save themselves ASAP.

So I'd say...bring on the testosterone. Whatever that gets folks going.

They have the traditional mindset of the job idea and literally cannot perceive me ever doing business. I don't know if I can convince them that an MBA degree costs a shit ton of money with little to no value in today's world. Plenty of businessmen never pursued an MBA (60% of top CEOs in India don't have an MBA).
MBAs are designed to train folks on keeping the corporate structure alive in mega-companies.
So every education has its own different purposes.

But if you feel that's not for you...that's OK! Go work on your businesses or whatever it takes to remove
your dependence on the system.

That being said, you still need to eat in the meantime.
And it will take time to get your business up and going, as you have said.

Look out on this Forum for threads where folks take on jobs that don't need expensive degrees to start...and yes, perhaps they CAN turn into future businesses. See jobs as a temporary means to get by, until you don't need them any more. There's one on window-washing around here...

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
This is my life so far..

I'm in my 2nd year of college right now and after 1 year of college, I realized that life was worth more than slaving away for a shit company- so I have decided that business would be my side.

I have confidence that I can achieve great things in business but my parents have other thoughts:
In India, if you don't know, going to college, pursuing a job (the whole engineer/doctor stereotype) and then getting an MBA is very common and it's F*cking insane to see this being promoted by everyone I know and love. I hear these success stories of people who went against the odds, even family and friends' advice, and achieved great things but that seems pointless to explain it to them.

I really really don't want a job. Worst case I'll do it for 2 years at max but I honestly would like to be better off.

I had an idea that I might need to show some results- that I can indeed do it and make it big, but it seems they will lose faith after I fail 2 or 3 businesses. I'm not afraid of failing a hundred, but I am concerned that I may lose support from trusted people.

If you think there is some weakness within me that is preventing me from doing something that I'm supposed to, it would mean a lot if some of you could guide me on what I should do
You can start a business quietly. Imagine doing an online business in front of your computer. People don’t really know you are running a business unless you tell them.

It is much easier to hide your business until you have proven track record to show, then to trying to convince family members to agree with you.

Prateik Lohani

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 11, 2023
You can start a business quietly. Imagine doing an online business in front of your computer. People don’t really know you are running a business unless you tell them.

It is much easier to hide your business until you have proven track record to show, then to trying to convince family members to agree with you.
I don't know about keeping it quiet, but I do think showing a track record will definitely help.

That being said, whether they are convinced or not, I did learn some truth: no one cares if my parents don't like my idea, people care about what value I can provide; so I'll work towards that.

I'm learning copywriting as of now and trying to find some opportunities on bluelearn. I'm trying various skills to see what works and then I will make a business out of it.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I don't know about keeping it quiet, but I do think showing a track record will definitely help.

That being said, whether they are convinced or not, I did learn some truth: no one cares if my parents don't like my idea, people care about what value I can provide; so I'll work towards that.

I'm learning copywriting as of now and trying to find some opportunities on bluelearn. I'm trying various skills to see what works and then I will make a business out of it.
Showing a track record helps but it takes a long time. You can just start doing without informing them.

originalMJT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 18, 2021
England
This is my life so far..

Tell your parents that you would make the worst Dr ever, and would properly end up killing somebody. So it’s safer and will earn you a lot more money if you go into business instead. Tell them not to worry as you will become a millionaire.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Don't waste effort trying to convince your parents of anything.

They'll conveniently be happy with your choices when you find success.

Go against their word. Do what you must do.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
562%
Apr 17, 2022
When my parents called me stupid I said "you're stupid you have a shit job I don't want to be like you". Then my dad hit me.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
The Johnny family is a long lineage of alpha chads.

I'm actually curious, what do you parents say now when you bring home half a million a year?

They have the traditional mindset of the job idea and literally cannot perceive me ever doing business.
The only opinion that matters in business is that of your paying customers.

What your mom, dad, neighbors, friends, and family dog think has very little predictive power over your success.

You don't have to convince anyone of anything. You have to start doing what you want to do and achieve your goals. The only way to change other people's minds is to lead by example. Words don't mean anything.

Also based on the way you've presented this, I think you're making a big mistake if you believe there is a dichotomy between business and education. There isn't, and they are in fact very strongly correlated.

People that drop out of college to pursue business are already years ahead of everyone else in terms of education and capability.

Stay in school, start a business, drop out if and when it reaches escape velocity.

If you believe school or parents are holding you back from achieving success, stay the hell away from entrepreneurship.

OVS

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Nov 10, 2020
Bucharest, Romania
I saw one of my cousins go through something similar. Don't make rash decisions without having a plan.

Money dries up fast and I assume you don't have any marketable skills to start.

Keep with education and start a business on the side. Stop education when that becomes lucrative.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
The Johnny family is a long lineage of alpha chads.

I'm actually curious, what do you parents say now when you bring home half a million a year?

The only opinion that matters in business is that of your paying customers.

What your mom, dad, neighbors, friends, and family dog think has very little predictive power over your success.

You don't have to convince anyone of anything. You have to start doing what you want to do and achieve your goals. The only way to change other people's minds is to lead by example. Words don't mean anything.

Also based on the way you've presented this, I think you're making a big mistake if you believe there is a dichotomy between business and education. There isn't, and they are in fact very strongly correlated.

People that drop out of college to pursue business are already years ahead of everyone else in terms of education and capability.

Stay in school, start a business, drop out if and when it reaches escape velocity.

If you believe school or parents are holding you back from achieving success, stay the hell away from entrepreneurship.

My family is happy for me. Heading over there today. I hope to retire them soon.

Michal__

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 13, 2023
Start working on the business while still in school. It is absolutely doable.

kima

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 5, 2023
This is my life so far..

dude you described by situation almost F*cking perfectly. Shit sucks man and you really can't do much until you make enough money to prove them otherwise. I'm a few months away from college starting and although I know my parents want the best for me it sucks watching them think in black and white. university = successful no university = complete failure. I feel you bro. Keep F*cking pushing no matter what and don't stop no matter how F*cking low the chances of success are. This was this story once about the Romans being completely outnumbered by 5:1 but Caesar burned the ships behind him forcing his army to have no choice but to win. You got this shit. But never give up that's really the most important thing I've learned after being on this planet for a mere 18 years. you're not alone man that I can guarantee you. Chances are though you can do both at the same time if you want it badly enough.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
421%
Aug 9, 2022
hen my dad hit me. He's 200 lbs. Your dad is probably 130 lbs. Who had it harder??
I nearly fell off my chair laughing.

Imagine listening to your parents and fulfilling everything they laid out for you.

It's 5 years from now.

Currently, it's 4/11/2028.

Where would you be? Will you be happy? Will you be proud of doing everything they say? Will you be smiling ears to ears knowing you've been a good order following son? Will you be closer to YOUR DREAM reality?

Probably not.

You will be filled with resentment towards them for being overbearing. You will be filled with hatred towards yourself for being a coward and going your own path. You will walk with a hunch back. Even though you're 24, you look as if you're already half dead.

Truth is, deep down you know it's your fault for not ignoring them and going for what you want. You might feel like a victim and try to blame them for being controlling, but you know it's your fault. Everything is your choice.

If only you did your own things back in 2023. If only you man up the courage to say "I'm doing it my way and I'll deal with the consequences".

If only... If only... If only...

Well, you wasted 5 years listening to other people about how you should live your life and that's what you get for listening.

Resentment and regrets.

Now wake up.

Do you want that to become a reality?

It's all part of growing up. You take what you want by the balls and do it your way. If you refuse to do it, stop complaining and accept your ordinary fate.

I grew up in an Asian household too. I know the overbearing pressure of a Tiger mom.

But do you know what I'm scared of?

I'm scared of a reality when I do listen to everything they say and fail to achieve everything I've ever wanted. I'm terrified of them having to work into their late 50s or 60s because I was too afraid to take a chance on myself.

Do you know what's ironic? They won't even be happy with you if you follow everything they say. They don't even know what they want. It's your responsibility to be the leader and show them what's the right decision.

Prateik Lohani

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 11, 2023
I nearly fell off my chair laughing.

Imagine listening to your parents and fulfilling everything they laid out for you.

It's 5 years from now.

Currently, it's 4/11/2028.

Where would you be? Will you be happy? Will you be proud of doing everything they say? Will you be smiling ears to ears knowing you've been a good order following son? Will you be closer to YOUR DREAM reality?

Probably not.

You will be filled with resentment towards them for being overbearing. You will be filled with hatred towards yourself for being a coward and going your own path. You will walk with a hunch back. Even though you're 24, you look as if you're already half dead.

Truth is, deep down you know it's your fault for not ignoring them and going for what you want. You might feel like a victim and try to blame them for being controlling, but you know it's your fault. Everything is your choice.

If only you did your own things back in 2023. If only you man up the courage to say "I'm doing it my way and I'll deal with the consequences".

If only... If only... If only...

Well, you wasted 5 years listening to other people about how you should live your life and that's what you get for listening.

Resentment and regrets.

Now wake up.

Do you want that to become a reality?

It's all part of growing up. You take what you want by the balls and do it your way. If you refuse to do it, stop complaining and accept your ordinary fate.

I grew up in an Asian household too. I know the overbearing pressure of a Tiger mom.

But do you know what I'm scared of?

I'm scared of a reality when I do listen to everything they say and fail to achieve everything I've ever wanted. I'm terrified of them having to work into their late 50s or 60s because I was too afraid to take a chance on myself.

Do you know what's ironic? They won't even be happy with you if you follow everything they say. They don't even know what they want. It's your responsibility to be the leader and show them what's the right decision.
I understand man, I read a lot of replies. I will do it.

FlashingFlash

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 14, 2022
India
This is my life so far..

bro i was discussing about college to my parents. I am from India too.
I told i will start business and other stuffs and education system is gone somehow.
They started arguing with me, stopped talking to me, started saying i was unlucky from birth, etc .
Indian parents are stuck with normal traditional mindset.
I don't know what i am gonna do

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
562%
Apr 17, 2022
I told i will start business and other stuffs and education system is gone somehow.
They started arguing with me, stopped talking to me, started saying i was unlucky from birth, etc .
This happens all over the globe. From the US to rural China.

Johnny got hit in the face by his dad when he told him about starting a business, and now banks half a million a year.

We've already told you that your parents are not the problem. You are the problem.

Stop asking for permission or advice, and start the f business. Scale up to 10x the average salary in your country. Then dropping out of school becomes the logical and natural choice.

If you're trying to change anyone's mind, the best (and sometimes only) way to do it is by showing them solid proof that you are right. Lead by example. Words don't mean anything.

Prateik Lohani

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 11, 2023
What I've learnt over the course of a few weeks is that results are everything.
Unless you show them something, they simply will not trust in your ability to run a business. I haven't started the business yet but I'm learning the skills I need to do it right now and I'm doing it quick, so that it can be up and running in about 2 months.

Point is, you have to talk to them while showing its benefits to your life. If you go with the mindset that they will disagree and start arguing then you aren't stacking the deck in your favor.
Just do it. It's as simple as that.

pavan_k

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Apr 28, 2023
What I've learnt over the course of a few weeks is that results are everything.
Unless you show them something, they simply will not trust in your ability to run a business. I haven't started the business yet but I'm learning the skills I need to do it right now and I'm doing it quick, so that it can be up and running in about 2 months.

Point is, you have to talk to them while showing its benefits to your life. If you go with the mindset that they will disagree and start arguing then you aren't stacking the deck in your favor.
Just do it. It's as simple as that.
Been a month. Any updates ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.