The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Control Violation Lesson

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
So I have joined a facebook group called Skillshare Mastermind as i am utilising there platform as a revenue/outreach channel amongst a host of others.
The person who manages the group just posted this below.

''Guys, I can't verify the EPPM for this month. The reason is that Skillshare cancelled my account a week ago. After having an account for 3.5 years I was shocked. I got the CEO involved, but he simply agreed with the decision.
The termination email says my account was associated with "networks of users exhibiting suspicious activity". It seems that merely having your referral ID associated with people who choose to make multiple accounts is enough to get your account deactivated.
I've certainly done nothing wrong, but my suspicion is that Skillshare can't revoke an account without alleging wrongdoing on the part of the teacher, so the charge seems to be that anyone who clicked my link and created multiple free trial accounts must have been working for me. Crazy.
Of course, this means that your accounts are also at risk. You have no way of protecting your account should someone click your link then create multiple free premium trials. I'd suggest thinking very carefully before promoting your referral links.
Naturally, I'm annoyed at this outcome, and no longer wish to be associated with Skillshare. I will be deleting my Facebook Groups after this weekend.
I've very much enjoyed our discussions and interactions over the years, and I wish you well in the future.
LIKE.png
(Y)''

Let this be a lesson in Control - if your entire business is dependant on one revenue stream like this gentleman's was on skillshare, and overnight they decide your done, your business is also done at the snap of your fingers.

If this gentleman would have launched on multiple platforms and had a facebook group that funnelled his customers into and not skillshare teachers.

It would have hurt yes, but his entire revenue stream wouldn't have been killed overnight like it has been.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wouter

What do you want to be when you give up?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 6, 2019
Netherlands
Yup, goes to show why having all eggs in one basket can be very damaging long-term.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Thanks for the post Timmy. A powerful (and painful) lesson, and one we should all heed. The commandment of Control is paramount.

I remember many years back feeling very exposed as most of my revenue was coming from eBay and from just one account at that. To rectify it I built several websites, expanded into different niches, opened new eBay and Amazon accounts for each niche and started advertising via Google as well as building strongly on SEO for my websites.

Luckily I never had an account issue as I always made sure to run everything cleanly but you have to take steps to protect yourself for worst case scenarios. Sticking your head in the sand is a recipe for disaster.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Thanks for the post Timmy. A powerful (and painful) lesson, and one we should all heed. The commandment of Control is paramount.

I remember many years back feeling very exposed as most of my revenue was coming from eBay and from just one account at that. To rectify it I built several websites, expanded into different niches, opened new eBay and Amazon accounts for each niche and started advertising via Google as well as building strongly on SEO for my websites.

Luckily I never had an account issue as I always made sure to run everything cleanly but you have to take steps to protect yourself for worst case scenarios. Sticking your head in the sand is a recipe for disaster.

Did you use the same emails or completely different ones? Same IP address? VPN? I’m thinking about doing this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Did you use the same emails or completely different ones? Same IP address? VPN? I’m thinking about doing this.

Same IP, no VPN, just different email addresses and PayPal accounts. It’s a long time ago though so I’d check the relevant forums.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.