The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Computer Solutions for Business/Travel

mizchels

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 14, 2008
St. John, USVI
Apple launched it's Mac Air this past month, trying to appeal to business travelers with a snazzy-looking laptop made light and portable. Lenovo just released it's Thinkpad X300, drawing a direct comparison between it and the Air. You can find a good comparison from this link, found from Digg.com:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/15/lenovo-x300-vs-apple-macbook-air

What type of laptop/computer do you find most suitable for your business needs? I personally like having a desktop as my head hauncho, with the larger monitor and space to see and work from. But I use my laptop all the time, as a backup and when I'm casually browsing at home or on the weekends. Do you have a preferred method or schedule for backing up your files? Do you travel with a backup drive or anything? Or do you find that you manage well traveling with just an iPhone, Blackberry, etc.? Just curious!:)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
I always carry my business notebook with me with all my data - really all private and business data! - in encrypted filesystems. I use truecrypt for that. Backup is done at home by simply copying this 700MB container files to my private desktop. Once in a while I burn those on CDs and thats it. I survived three hardware crashes with this aproach. No need for more sophisticated backup strategies.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
For me the "desktop" computer is dead. I run two laptops, one has a 20" monitor plugged into it, so no lack of screen real estate.

For anyone using Vista, the backup system truly sucks. It took me forever to find a decent replacement but http://www.backup4all.com/ works great and is low cost.

It just takes one click to backup to my portable 2.5" harddrive. All data is on there, and I carry it with me at all times (it's about the size of a normal wallet). So even if I come home and both laptops are gone, or the place is burned to the ground, I can plug in and be back to work without a problem.

Thanks for the link to truecrypt, that's a piece that has been missing, that I worry about. Do you notice any speed loss with it running? Even with a screaming fast computer and 2 gigs ram, I'm still disappointed in how slow Vista runs...it is pretty though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.