The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Common Question by clients

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Moneymakermitch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 12, 2013
Just got off the phone with a client and got asked a question which lead me to wonder how others would answer this:

Client - " I guess your just going to take a template from a website and replace it with my pictures and my text"?

I answered with "I taught myself how to code so its custom html/css "

I am however using template themes from themeforest and than adding the clients info, pics and doing my best to make it SEO optimized.

Is this an okay way to handle this ? I don't want anyone to feel ripped off but I am indeed taking a theme and making it to suit the needs of the client.

How would you answer / handle this question?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted50669

Well, you sure as hell don't want to lie.

If I am your client and I ask you to code a custom page transition animation, which for someone who knows CSS is trivial, and you can't do it, you will be caught in the lie. A better approach is to say "Yes, and I will augment what is provided with the base theme per your requirements." If this is not acceptable to the client, you are not qualified to take on their work. So I would recommend learning how to code, or narrowing your search to clients who do not need a custom solution.

Moneymakermitch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 12, 2013

If I am your client and I ask you to code a custom page transition animation, which for someone who knows CSS is trivial, and you can't do it, you will be caught in the lie. A better approach is to say "Yes, and I will augment what is provided with the base theme per your requirements." If this is not acceptable to the client, you are not qualified to take on their work. So I would recommend learning how to code, or narrowing your search to clients who do not need a custom solution.

Thanks for the reply. Yes your right I dont want to lie, I do know how to code at an average level but just dont want them to think its some easy thing they could just throw together. Plus coding a website from scratch it may not be something they end up liking as they usually say " I want my website to look just like this one " which was already made with a pre exsisting theme.

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
I'm not a web designer but have used Wordpress and other themes to create websites myself... I would say something like:

"Depending on your budget and scope of work, there are times when we use high quality templates as a starting point. However, these typically require customizations and other code to bring your ideas to life. If you are looking for a website that is started from the ground up/coded, this will double/triple... the costs but is certainly an option."

Perhaps setting that expectation initially and qualifying clients a bit more about what they want, what budget range they're working with, etc. could help.

Moneymakermitch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 12, 2013
Cool, I really like that answer. It adds the option but more likely forces the hand. If they did want something more extreme it could be done though, like it.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I am guessing something you are saying or doing is leading them to this conclusion. Maybe it is your pricing being low or lower than they would expect that is making them think this.

I guess it depends on the type of client you're speaking with but assuming this is just some random local service business that will need a run of the mill site I would just tell them the truth.

"Yes, I will find and purchase a template that is similar to what you are looking for. After acquiring that template I will make the changes necessary to give you the site you want. I know both html and css and am able to use these skills to take the template and turn it into exactly what you need/want.

Of course I could also custom code a site for you if that is what you would like however I have found using a template saves a ton of time and money and yet we can still come to a result that gives you exactly what you want."

Now if you were charging this client $5,000 for this site which you are using a template for then this may not be a good response however that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Just got off the phone with a client and got asked a question which lead me to wonder how others would answer this:

Client - " I guess your just going to take a template from a website and replace it with my pictures and my text"?

I am however using template themes from themeforest and than adding the clients info, pics and doing my best to make it SEO optimized.

Is this an okay way to handle this ? I don't want anyone to feel ripped off but I am indeed taking a theme and making it to suit the needs of the client.

The client sounds like a troll.

I am in sales. In my experience the clients care about results that they want. It doesn't matter to them what it costs you.

These are the Lookie loos- people who often masquerade as buyers but have no real intention of ever buying.

Barry_M

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 26, 2019
UK

This 100% and you have lied to your customer! You will get caught out some day and exposed. The person you do this to will tell other people. If you cant do something for the client then just tell them you cant do it. Dont tell them your all singing and all dancing when your not.

JB92

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 28, 2019

Just be honest, there is no reason to hide you are using themes. You can even explain using a Theme as the base framework allows you offer web services for a lower budget & shorter timescales, if you are looking for a completely bespoke website the price would be x10 what has been quoted, it would also take much longer to provide the complete website.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.