The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Commission Based Influencers?

Marketing, social media, advertising

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
I'm launching an Instagram-Based Service with a friend and we're targeting 18-35 aged men.

We want to use IG Influencers (Microinfluencers) to get our message out.. however we don't have enough money to pay upfront payments to infuencers.

Do influencers (eg. 5,000-100,000 follower base) accept commission if we paid them a 50% cut ($50) per sale that we get from their promo of our service?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
I mean, maybe...but probably not.

DM some people in that range and ask them....or find another way to contact them and ask.

That's what I would do.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Check the prices of shoutouts.
Usually they don't cost $50 for someone that has that little following.

You could try to do a give away with and ig account.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Absolutely some will. However as a new business they may be weary, lots of businesses pop up, try this, get some shoutouts and stuff and disappear.

Message a couple of people, get the conversation going, some will absolutely do it for that, some for less, some will say they will, but will never get around to promoting your service, some will act like they’re worth 10 times that.

They aren’t professionals with legally binding contracts,* they’re people that use their phone a lot. Just start messaging and make it happen.

*Some may have contracts ready or have used them in the past.

FWIW I’ve had influencers with accounts over 1 million followers and plenty with less share my products, I’ve never paid any of them. Free product because they liked it was all it took. (In a lot of cases that cost may have been more than $50 to me, cost of product, shipping etc)

That’s not applicable for every business out there obviously, but if you have something to offer them apart from money that’s good currency, if not, hit them up with your offer and see how you go.

There would be tens of thousands of people on Instagram with accounts in the size your looking at targeting, that have the following your targeting. It’s just a form of cold calling. Hit them up, perfect the pitch, make it happen.

Check the prices of shoutouts.
Usually they don't cost $50 for someone that has that little following.

You could try to do a give away with and ig account.

This is worth considering as well.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Also worth noting, influencers won’t just promote your service because your offering them money. Even if your money’s good, and sure “everyone has a price” if your business doesn’t yet have established credibility you may find resistance, as no one wants to be associated with a start up that could take money from people then disappear. Worth keeping in mind if your getting rejected.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I do swag trade for promotion on Instagram. The only real results I get is when it's a longer term campaign and I build a relationship with the influencer.

Also really hard to sell things on Instagram, I'd look it at it like your using the influencers to build your page and with building brand awareness with your new followers.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I do swag trade for promotion on Instagram. The only real results I get is when it's a longer term campaign and I build a relationship with the influencer.

Pretty much my experience as well.

Also really hard to sell things on Instagram, I'd look it at it like your using the influencers to build your page and with building brand awareness with your new followers.

Agree, great advice. Not that one can’t sell via IG and influencers, but don’t expect it to be the silver bullet for a business, incorporate it as part of a wider strategy.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
A friend of mine has a vinyl records business and 90 percent of his sales come from Instagram. Granted he doesn't make much and is still small.

It definitely can be done so don't let anyone dissuade you OP.

Instagram definitely is harder to get sales from.

I don't like the channel personally, but I have to branch out there within the next couple of months for control issues.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.