The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Commandment of control: building a website

The business of web design

Danslim

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 21, 2023
Hey!
I've found an idea i'd like to execute, and im stoked to get started. This idea requires a website, and i came across this video on how to make a website through Stripe.

The first thing i thought of here is the commandment of control mentioned in unscripted, and thought i would do it some other way.
I know there are services like squarespace, wordpress and wix, but then i'm still piggybacking on another business, right?

Is there a service i can use to create a website while maintaining control, or is the only way to code it from scratch?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
Hey!
I've found an idea i'd like to execute, and im stoked to get started. This idea requires a website, and i came across this video on how to make a website through Stripe.

The first thing i thought of here is the commandment of control mentioned in unscripted, and thought i would do it some other way.
I know there are services like squarespace, wordpress and wix, but then i'm still piggybacking on another business, right?

Is there a service i can use to create a website while maintaining control, or is the only way to code it from scratch?
WordPress.org + WordPress plugins + buy your own domain name + sign up for a hosting account. That way you have complete* control.

* almost, because you still need to honor the domain registrar's terms of service and the hosting company's terms of service.

Danslim

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 21, 2023
WordPress.org + WordPress plugins + buy your own domain name + sign up for a hosting account. That way you have complete* control.

* almost, because you still need to honor the domain registrar's terms of service and the hosting company's terms of service.
Alright, i’ll go with that then, thank you!

Ayobami23

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Sep 16, 2021
Hey!

Following this thread

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
It depend of the features required by your website, but having absolute control over it require that you learn full manual coding, wich is not interesting in term of control gained / time spend learning

Actually the majority of actual website are coded with a CMS like wordpress, joomla, drupal... Full coding is only for very specific and complex projects.

You can do almost everything you want with wordpres + plugins, it is totally ok (itmight take a little time to learn it correctly, and do a little code, html css javascript php is always useful to use wordpress)

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
what are you selling and to whom?

your method of how you'll be getting real eyeballs on your stuff from the people who can actually buy from you is what matters.

website should be a 2-3 hour thing you bang out and start your focus on getting attention to your offer.

your question screams "not gonna make it" vibes.

RudyR

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Feb 24, 2023
Texas
Hey!

From the video you posted, this is about Stripe Connect. Which looks like some kind of hosted solution for customer onboarding and other stuff. This is different from the regular Stripe, which acts as just a payment processor.

In regards to having control over a website. I think this can fall into a few categories.

Hosted platforms:
Services like, Shopify, Squarespace, Wix, etc..

They handle almost everything. Like hosting, website/store, maintenance and support are handled by them. So not much effort on your side.

Downside is platform lock-in and limited control. So if you want to go to a different hosting company or platform, you'll basically have to recreate it.

Self-hosted:
This can be from any CMS like Wordpress, Static Site generators, or just good ole, html/css/js

With any of these, you pick a hosting provider. They handle just the hosting and can offer various 1 click solutions for installing something like Wordpress. So you get more control, flexibility and options. And you’re not necessarily locked in to a hosting provider. A lot of them offer to help you migrate over.

Downside is it can be a bit more technical, your in charge of your maintenance and security(unless you have a plan that covers this.

Cloud hosting:
You have the big 3, AWS, Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure.

You are 100% on your own. They handle the infrastructure and you roll your own hosting solutions. This offers the most control, flexibility and scalability.

Downside is that is comes with a higher technical and probably monetary cost.

lesane

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Nov 19, 2022
From the video you posted, this is about Stripe Connect. Which looks like some kind of hosted solution for customer onboarding and other stuff. This is different from the regular Stripe, which acts as just a payment processor.

In regards to having control over a website. I think this can fall into a few categories.

Hosted platforms:
Services like, Shopify, Squarespace, Wix, etc..

They handle almost everything. Like hosting, website/store, maintenance and support are handled by them. So not much effort on your side.

Downside is platform lock-in and limited control. So if you want to go to a different hosting company or platform, you'll basically have to recreate it.

Self-hosted:
This can be from any CMS like Wordpress, Static Site generators, or just good ole, html/css/js

With any of these, you pick a hosting provider. They handle just the hosting and can offer various 1 click solutions for installing something like Wordpress. So you get more control, flexibility and options. And you’re not necessarily locked in to a hosting provider. A lot of them offer to help you migrate over.

Downside is it can be a bit more technical, your in charge of your maintenance and security(unless you have a plan that covers this.

Cloud hosting:
You have the big 3, AWS, Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure.

You are 100% on your own. They handle the infrastructure and you roll your own hosting solutions. This offers the most control, flexibility and scalability.

Downside is that is comes with a higher technical and probably monetary cost.
Hi, I have some doubts related to this topic. When it comes to namecheap.com using EasyWP, does that violate the commandment of Control? If it does what would be the best way to deal with it and have control over my website?

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Nothing violates the commandment of control like Amazon shutting down your entire $50k/mo business just because you didn't complete your routine verfication check.

Don't worry about commandment of control violation when choosing a website builder, they're less risky and you won't lose your entire revenue stream forever.

lesane

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Nov 19, 2022
Nothing violates the commandment of control like Amazon shutting down your entire $50k/mo business just because you didn't complete your routine verfication check.

Don't worry about commandment of control violation when choosing a website builder, they're less risky and you won't lose your entire revenue stream forever.
Well I'm glad to hear that it's less risky. I asked it mainly because a couple moths ago namecheap shut it down but it was a mistake I reclaimed and I got It back but I don't like knowing that something like that could happen. Would creating a security copy of my website remove the risks of these types of situations?

RudyR

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Feb 24, 2023
Texas
Hi, I have some doubts related to this topic. When it comes to namecheap.com using EasyWP, does that violate the commandment of Control? If it does what would be the best way to deal with it and have control over my website?

Well I'm glad to hear that it's less risky. I asked it mainly because a couple moths ago namecheap shut it down but it was a mistake I reclaimed and I got It back but I don't like knowing that something like that could happen. Would creating a security copy of my website remove the risks of these types of situations?

I just realized that EasyWP is Namecheap's managed WordPress hosting. I like keeping all services separate. Meaning, Domain registrar, hosting, email service, etc are handled by different companies. This way if there is any kind of account issue, at least not all is lost.

Yes, always have backups.

This was my original thought before knowing that the domain registrar and hosting where the same company:

So these are 2 different services. Namecheap is your domain registrar. They handle your yourdomainname.com and reserve that name for you. You have to keep up with that and make sure they receive payment and info is up to date. Otherwise if it lapses, then you can eventually lose that domain name. Now they do offer a grace period but ultimately it's up to you to make sure all billing stuff is maintained. This is not exclusive to Namecheap, this is common with other domain registrars as well.

That is separate form the hosting part, in this case EasyWP. For whatever reason you lose your domain, you would need to get a new domain name and just point it your servers IP address. The hard part is the whole rebrand/name recognition that comes with it.

lesane

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Nov 19, 2022
I just realized that EasyWP is Namecheap's managed WordPress hosting. I like keeping all services separate. Meaning, Domain registrar, hosting, email service, etc are handled by different companies. This way if there is any kind of account issue, at least not all is lost.

Yes, always have backups.

This was my original thought before knowing that the domain registrar and hosting where the same company:

So these are 2 different services. Namecheap is your domain registrar. They handle your yourdomainname.com and reserve that name for you. You have to keep up with that and make sure they receive payment and info is up to date. Otherwise if it lapses, then you can eventually lose that domain name. Now they do offer a grace period but ultimately it's up to you to make sure all billing stuff is maintained. This is not exclusive to Namecheap, this is common with other domain registrars as well.

That is separate form the hosting part, in this case EasyWP. For whatever reason you lose your domain, you would need to get a new domain name and just point it your servers IP address. The hard part is the whole rebrand/name recognition that comes with it.
Okay, having all services separate as well as always having backups is the most important part. Thank you for all the information you've given, I appreciate it a lot!

Indulgency

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Nov 3, 2019
If you just want to promote a service or product as a hobby: Hire someone, or use an appropriate service, whether that is Squarespace, Shopify or WordPress - find a template or theme that suits your needs.

If you have a service or product that your livelihood depends on? Hire an experienced professional instead of trying to do it yourself - it's much cheaper, and will provide a better end result. After all, when you break your arm, you see a professional, rather than learning how to set and restrict a fracture. My personal recommendation is WebCaptain. They are good in turning ideas into reality.

Last edited:

Danslim

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 21, 2023
If you just want to promote a service or product as a hobby: Hire someone, or use an appropriate service, whether that is Squarespace, Shopify or WordPress - find a template or theme that suits your needs.

If you have a service or product that your livelihood depends on? Hire an experienced professional instead of trying to do it yourself - it's much cheaper, and will provide a better end result. After all, when you break your arm, you see a professional, rather than learning how to set and restrict a fracture. My personal recommendation is WebCaptain. They are good in turning ideas into reality.
Thank you!

I wound up getting a freelancer to make the website through a wordpress template and custom code. Cost me 500 bucks. I will get a better version made when i have some actual numbers to lean on - so i guess you could call it a hobby for now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.