The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

College Student Finishing Up Degree and at a Crossroads

ooooskar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Dec 9, 2021
Good afternoon,

I am about to finish my bachelor's degree in finance in about a week and now I am at a crossroads in my life.

My family is pushing me to get a full time job and then pursue an MBA and work for a company long term. I want to start a business and I have one in mind. I think the best course of action would be to get full time employment and develop the business as a hobby in my down time. Then, depending on the level of success move make that my full time employment.

My case is a bit weird, I am graduating a bit early with no debt and a sizeable amount of capital invested. Therefore, I do not have much pressure to start getting significant cash flow immediately. I had joined the service and was able to pay for my education, without taking on any loans. Then, due to COVID, I was able to take on a much higher course-load allowing me to graduate 1-2 years earlier than anticipated. I am 21 with no debt and finishing up college, due to this I was thinking of starting a life-coach service or creating money management digital content for high-schoolers about to go to college.

I am at a crossroads currently and I would like to know what someone who has had success had done, if they were in a similar situation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I am at a crossroads currently and I would like to know what someone who has had success had done, if they were in a similar situation.

Looks like you are in a pretty good position. You obviously take the opportunity that maximizes utility the most. No business is a side hustle or a hobby it needs your full attention and focus.

My family is pushing me to get a full time job and then pursue an MBA and work for a company long term.

You are 21 and you don't need to listen to anybody. You do what you have to do to get where you want be. It's worthless advice.

ooooskar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Dec 9, 2021
Looks like you are in a pretty good position. You obviously take the opportunity that maximizes utility the most. No business is a side hustle or a hobby it needs your full attention and focus.

You are 21 and you don't need to listen to anybody. You do what you have to do to get where you want be. It's worthless advice.
Is there anything in particular that you would recommend? Is there a way to tell family and friends without them having too much skepticism?

I am also located in San Diego, thought it was a funny coincidence.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Is there a way to tell family and friends without them having too much skepticism?

Well you can politely be assertive and tell them your plan. Maybe state 10 things you are going to do to accomplish that goal so they can see you are serious and not engaging in fantasy thinking.

I am also located in San Diego, thought it was a funny coincidence.

Nice. Where did you go to school? I have a finance degree as well.

ooooskar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Dec 9, 2021
Well you can politely be assertive and tell them your plan. Maybe state 10 things you are going to do to accomplish that goal so they can see you are serious and not engaging in fantasy thinking.

Nice. Where did you go to school? I have a finance degree as well.
I had never thought to have almost a presentation ready for friends and family, that would make it seem much more like a goal to achieve than just aimless busywork.

SDSU

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Would you be willing to link up? I would love to pick your brain.

Yeah, just follow me here or send me a PM. I'm pretty busy but always quick to respond.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
How long can you survive on the 'sizeable amount' of capital invested? For how long are you willing to toil before there is a real payoff?

ooooskar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Dec 9, 2021
How long can you survive on the 'sizeable amount' of capital invested? For how long are you willing to toil before there is a real payoff?
I could probably live off of the investment for about two years. However I do not want to spend it as I hope to get capital gains on it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...