The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

College or not

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
According to Forbes magazine, average net worth of the members of their list who did not get a college degree- 5.86 billion, those with a degree, 3.14 billion. Looks like I screwed myself out of over 1.5 billion dollars by finishing college. Crap.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kcbizwoman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Sep 29, 2007
Central Ontario, Canada
According to Forbes magazine, average net worth of the members of their list who did not get a college degree- 5.86 billion, those with a degree, 3.14 billion. Looks like I screwed myself out of over 1.5 billion dollars by finishing college. Crap.

Maybe, maybe not. I heard a quote years ago (forget from where) "Don't be average".
Obviously those who have made it on to the Forbes richest aren't average citizens.

KC

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
granted. I just found it interesting considering our cultur believing that college is a must for everyone. The screwed comment was tongue in cheek

8 SNAKE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 15, 2007
Midwest
Is the list skewed by a few people near the top of the list (like Gates), or is the distribution fairly even between degreed and nondegreed people.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
since it is an average, gates definetely skews things. BTW, a stat for those college frensied. Only 11.26% of the 400 did not have a college degree.

in case it was not obvious, I am a geek that loves stats even though something like 64% of them are made up.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
This is what we tell our kids about college...

There are two issues for you to think about as you approach adulthood...

One is your financial life.
The other is your vocation/passion.

For your financial health it is best to build a business and/or be an investor. You do not need to go to college to learn about how to do this.

If you decide you have a passion to do meaningful work in a certain area then you may need to go to college.... example - you want to be a doctor or an attorney or a CPA.

They know that they may go to college if they choose, but that it is not necessary for financial success.

I got my degree in accounting and I have never worked a day in my life as an accountant. I do use some of the knowledge I learned in college - but I certainly could have learned the same things without going to college.

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
I studied physics because it has been my passion for years. Space, the final frontier, you know. As soon as I realized that I would starve from that even if I did find a job there, I switched towards economics and IT. It´s a pity that they didn´t teach me about entrepreneurship. Luckily it had nothing to do with skills I acquired but the degree itself helped people convince to give me a job and to promote me later on. Though financially a loss at he beginning, the college helped me getting much better salary than average in the end. Of course it´s still just a job, sigh.

Btw I only believe in statistics I faked by myself.

Andrew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 8, 2007
Take a closer look, most of those without a college degrees would qualifiy as "some college" , i.e. they dropped out, or more specifically took a break and didn't make it back.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.