The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

College on financial aid (or paying). Ha

spb1024

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 4, 2009
FL & NY
I've just finished my first term about 3 weeks ago (9 weeks of class), and not going to finish and get my degree. Something I thought about which I figured I'd share; I did some rough math and calculated that if I finish college, I'd have been in classes for about 550 hours a year, not including homework/weekends/off time/etc (spans over about 2 years for the degree). It is free because I'm on financial aid, but, 550+ hours can be spent much better in my opinion. For the most part, if I go for my associates degree, there will be a lot of BS gen-ed classes (math/reading/etc) for most of the time and then maybe 2 classes for the major. Let's say i'm majoring in business, why not just spend the 250-400 bucks for the one business class instead of the whole associates (I can't get only one or two classes on financial aid, they require me to take the gen-ed classes before the major), and save about 500 hours/2 years on the other BS classes. Yes, 2 years saved (well, 1 and 2/3 years counting in the one or two business classes), and I would have still got the education I needed. Sounds a lot more logical to me, plus I probably would have spent the same on gas and lunch going to school on financial aid for 2 years compared to just laying down the measly 250-400 bucks for the class. The differences would be I go one way and have a little peice of paper, or, the other way and I am 2 years ahead of myself if I would have went for the associates... besides, I wouldn't need that little peice of paper to start a business.

Quick thought: You can also take a few "juice" classes at a time to save more time, I.E., taking business and web design classes at the same time, just getting the lean meat without the fat, fat meaning the classes you don't need.

Another thing: If your relatives have money put away for college for you, then shit, take only the classes you need (if needed) and then you have a good amount of cash to get started on the "fastlane".

Just something to think about if your planning on going to college.

Don't know if this is posted in the right place.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jaytrader43

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
May 26, 2008
Jamaica
And what if your fastlane venture doesn't take off? College is a backup so you don't have to work at McDs between ventures. Also, college gives more than just knowledge. It teaches you discipline, responsibility and you make connections, which can help you out on the fastlane.

spb1024

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 4, 2009
FL & NY
See where you are coming from but I'm willing to take the risk and give it my all, I know I can get better than MCDonalds on my way to the top.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
If you're an entrepreneur, and don't plan on working for others, than quitting college can be a smart thing to do.

If you are going to get a JOB, a college degree helps. There are a buttload of studies that confirm this.

Here's the thing: For most EMPLOYEES, college degrees mean training for different kinds of skilled jobs.

But for most EMPLOYERS, a college degree means:

1. You figured out how to get the money to get a degree.

2. You were resourceful enough to continue getting money- be it from parents, scholarships, financial aid, or working your way through school. In fact, LOTS of employers will hire a person who worked their way through school-- and got lower grades-- than someone who didn't work while studying. Why? Because it shows commitment, and willingness to work hard to achieve something.

3. You stuck it out, and put up w/the BS to get your degree. Very few people (incl employers) look on college as a bed of roses-- while they may only say good things about their college years, they understand the BS-- they LIVED IT. And they respect others who understood the advantages of putting up w/the BS for a greater goal.

4. You got socialization and competition at a higher level. Someone once told me that they were the smartest kid on their block. Then they went to college, and EVERYONE at college was the smartest kid on their block!!!

This last point can be very unnerving for some. They can't take it-- they'd rather continue thinking that they're #1-- so dropping out is the best solution. They don't want to hang w/people who make them feel dumb.

Note: Employers typically do not think those w/college degrees are smarter than those who did not graduate.

spb1024, I'm not saying you're any of these things-- or that you decided to stop for any of these reasons.

But for anyone reading this thread who is also going to college-- please take to heart some of the things I've said up above. I got a weenie degree from a Big 10 school, after figuring out I didn't want to pursue what I'd been studying for years (medicine).

Have I ever used that degree?

Hell yes.

Hell no.

I've used what I learned by going to school-- and sticking w/it:

-How to pay for things when you have no money.
-How to get a job in a town that has over 55,000 people looking to get jobs.
-How to study and pass, while working full time to pay the bills
-And finally, how to get on in life when I'm no longer the smartest kid in the room.

But I've never gotten a JOB based on the degree or the skills I supposedly learned by getting the degree.

-Russ H.

fordd6

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 21, 2009
Michigan
I personally believe even if you are going to be an entrepreneur, you should still have that education background. Imagine all the connections you can make while being in school that can potentially help you with your business. Also think about the knowledge that you can obtain from people who have tried to the entrepreneurship and came back to school.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I personally believe even if you are going to be an entrepreneur, you should still have that education background. Imagine all the connections you can make while being in school that can potentially help you with your business. Also think about the knowledge that you can obtain from people who have tried to the entrepreneurship and came back to school.

Using college as a source of education is not necessary what-so-ever. Don't get me wrong, you can learn but hear me out on this. Being an entrepreneur (or being the top in anything) you must constantly be learning. In order to do this you must read books and try out new things. Many people think that this learning ends after college when infact that is just the beginning. I've learned much more on my own than I did in my first year in college. You must be willing to learn on your own to be sucessful in anything and college is not a required tool for that.

I do agree though that you can make valuable connections through college though.

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
I think the qualitative factors of college cannot be overlooked. I'm going into my fourth year college and I would not trade it for the world. I'm not looking at it from a party aspect or anything like that, because I've never been into that type of scene, however I feel that college is integral in completing that maturation process. Essentially finding out who you are and your passions. You only get one chance to go to college, enjoy it. You have the rest of your life to build your empire. Also, getting B's in college takes almost no work if that's what your aiming for, so theirs still plenty of time to "build your business" also think of it as a trial ground for business building. Most people don't have to worry about feeding/supporting themselves when they go to college, through either loans, scholarships, grants or parents. This allows you to focus 100% on your business (with the minor inconvenience of school) and not having to worry about feeding and supporting yourself. Unless your business can support you as is, or you have someone that will pay for everything, then your going to have to work while getting your business off the ground. And trust me, college work is MUCH MUCH less than a 8-5.

BTW, the further you go in college, you'll learn how to get around that attendance thing. I go to University of Texas, which is a pretty good school, and I still manage to get away with going to about half my classes and manage a 3.6 on an econ major, so it's definitely doable! The first semester is always the longest because you haven't learned how to work the system yet!

milligan740

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 18, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I took a single quarter of college in 2008 and dropped out immediately afterward. I had the same thoughts you did and I haven't looked back since. I run a growing video production company in Columbus, Ohio and am working on several side projects. Congratulations on having the courage to make the decision and stick with it! You will do fine without a degree.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.