The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Client chose an iffy business name and is worried about shadowbanning/censorship on social media

Marketing, social media, advertising

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
Client chose the name "NorCo" for "Northern colorado". This is a services business.

He is worried because when they searched for their facebook page it shows up with a banner that explains

"The term you searched for is sometimes associated with the sale of drugs, which isn't allowed on Facebook.
If you or someone you know struggle with drug misuse, there are organizations that can help."

He claims google is not allowing him to show his reviews publicly? His clients are able to post their reviews and he is able to see them, but they don't show up on the public page for his business.

He thinks the two may be related. As if Google could be shadowbanning his business? I'm still kind of a noob in this domain so sorry if there's something obvious I could be missing here.

Basically, my client is wondering if the business name "NorCo" should be abandoned altogether? He is wondering if he should go through the hassle of creating all new socials and getting a different domain registered or if he should just get a DBA, keep the logo, keep the domain with NorCo in it, and simply scrub all mention of the word "NorCo" from anything digital.

I told him not to stress out too much on this stuff, the productocracy is what's really important, but he also wants to be a youtuber so I told him he should probably change his name in that case. He's still pretty lean and it would probably be the best move just to play it safe, right?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate you reading the post

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Client chose the name "NorCo" for "Northern colorado". This is a services business.

He is worried because when they searched for their facebook page it shows up with a banner that explains

"The term you searched for is sometimes associated with the sale of drugs, which isn't allowed on Facebook.
If you or someone you know struggle with drug misuse, there are organizations that can help."

He claims google is not allowing him to show his reviews publicly? His clients are able to post their reviews and he is able to see them, but they don't show up on the public page for his business.

He thinks the two may be related. As if Google could be shadowbanning his business? I'm still kind of a noob in this domain so sorry if there's something obvious I could be missing here.

Basically, my client is wondering if the business name "NorCo" should be abandoned altogether? He is wondering if he should go through the hassle of creating all new socials and getting a different domain registered or if he should just get a DBA, keep the logo, keep the domain with NorCo in it, and simply scrub all mention of the word "NorCo" from anything digital.

I told him not to stress out too much on this stuff, the productocracy is what's really important, but he also wants to be a youtuber so I told him he should probably change his name in that case. He's still pretty lean and it would probably be the best move just to play it safe, right?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate you reading the post
Most people use NoCo as the abbreviation for northern Colorado. Why didn't your client use that? Most people in the area are familiar with seeing and using NoCo, so I doubt any other variant would get searched.

Would it be that hard for your client to change to NoCo? Seems like a no brainer to me to change it.

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
Most people use NoCo as the abbreviation for northern Colorado. Why didn't your client use that? Most people in the area are familiar with seeing and using NoCo, so I doubt any other variant would get searched.

Would it be that hard for your client to change to NoCo? Seems like a no brainer to me to change it.
thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate the feedback. Seems like NoCo is the way to go!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Client chose the name "NorCo" for "Northern colorado".
Even if it didn't get banned on google, it's still a very bad name.
So congratulations for deciding to change it.

Reminds me of this article:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Martinisawe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 1, 2020
California
Even if it didn't get banned on google, it's still a very bad name.
So congratulations for deciding to change it.

Reminds me of this article:

Sorry can't help but laugh on these names in the article

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.