The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Chosing a Content Management System for my website

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
I am in the stages of outsourcing my website development to programmers.
I'm currently recieving bids and screening the applicants.

The website is going to be based on user-generated content (including vids, PDF's etc), with quite a few databases involved.
On the other hand, there is still going to be content managed by me.

As it is going to be commercial website - it is going to connect to a payment gateway aswell.

I read about Wordpress here in the forum, and immedietly started playing with it. I got a great impression about the content management - but I'm not sure it fits my user based needs, and the database needs.

When I posted the project for contractors - I mentioned I prefer WP as the CMS, but I also wanted to check what other suggestions they have.

So far a few programers are talking about Custome CMS's, and there is also one that suggested CKEditor for the content parts.

Anyone had any experience with any of them?

I know that some of you are real WP fans, and I'm personally very impressed with it, but given the website's features - Do you still think that manipulating WP to accomodate them is worth it?

Any other suggestions you might think of for the website's management platform?

Advice and critisim are very welcome! :smxF:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
So far a few programers are talking about Custome CMS's, and there is also one that suggested CKEditor for the content parts.

Custom CMS cost a lot of money to develop; that's why programmers and web developers will want to build one for you, because they know they'll wind up with tens of thousands of dollars in the end. I would suggest that you use Drupal because it's the CMS with the most user generated modules and it has the largest user community so you can always go to their forums to get help with any development issues you have. With Drupal; your development costs can be free or only a few hundred dollars depending on what kind of customization you want done.

AJ.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2010
What Darkside said.

A custom CMS?
Absolutely OUT of the realm of possibilities.

1st, it's going to cost a ton of money.
2nd, they will NEVER be able to make something so good as what is already out there

Use Drupal, or what I used for a while, Joomla.
I have no experience with Drupal, yet Joomla was smooth.
Tons of plugins and 'modules' to do whatever you might want (uploads, videos, shopping carts, photo galleries, etc, etc.).
Joomla also has a huge community (as I'm sure Drupal does too).

You can install Joomla yourself, and then pay programmers to customize your Joomla installation.

Keep us updated!

arfa

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 16, 2009
Toronto, Canada
We use MODx.
For what we need (content management and database) it is much better than Drupal or Joomla, however I don't know if it is appropriate for your needs. We hired a developer on Odesk to make an unusual and custom site (Home - Sumac) for 1K. If you'll use ready made MODx template, it should cost you less. Since at this stage we change template related things, we use another freelance developer for ongoing changes as we need (approximately 4 hours per month).
I like this CMS. We did extensive research before we choose this one and the only real competitor was WP. We choose Modx over WP because the web-design agency owner we know said it is good for end-users, SEO and developers. As previously mentioned, custom made system will cost you fortune, and support will be problematic if the original developer leaves.

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
I would advice against using drupal if you're new to this.
From my experience you really need to be proficient in drupal to fully take control of what it can do. The learning curve is just too steep and you'll find soon enough frustrated with it...
There are a tone of modules for drupal but you need to know how to tweak them for your own purpose.

Symfony is a php framework much like codeigniter(i use it), cake php, etc.
What it means is that your CMs would be built around this framework and it would be custom made using PHP as the programming language.

Jarnapal

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 20, 2010
I have to leave my thanks for mentioning symfony and MODx. They seem to be good alternatives to drupal and Joomla which might actually be even step further.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Definitely go with an open source to get you started. No way you should go with custom unless you are doing something really really weird and have a proven concept.

Wordpress is a good tool and has lots of plugins. A great advantage is that you find lots and lots of developers for this. You also find plugins for everything (including videos and other formats for user-generated content). There are also plugins for a payments module. The blogging aspect allows you to have a section for your own content, separated from the user-generated content, if that is what you want.

Joomla and Drupal are more robust (after all, they were created as CMS from the get-go, not like WP that was a blogging platform that has been used for CMS). But usually cost is higher and you need more experienced developers (i.e. more money).

I've been recommending my customers to get started with a WP install, a few good plugins, and as little customization as needed, to test the concept and the business idea, do a quick deployment and test the market very fast and a low budget.

After the idea has been refined then you can/should jump to a more expensive, robust platform (like Joomla or Drupal) or, if needed, custom made.

If money/time is not an issue, or the idea is rock-solid then I recommend you go with joomla or drupal from the get-go.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
ah, forgot to say two things:

1. CKEditor is NOT a CMS, as far as I know. What is CKEditor? | CKEditor
Think of it as a plugin for pages. Very useful, but it is not a system by itself.

2. No clue about MODx, so I will pass on making comments on that one.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I would advice against using drupal if you're new to this.
From my experience you really need to be proficient in drupal to fully take control of what it can do. The learning curve is just too steep and you'll find soon enough frustrated with it...
There are a tone of modules for drupal but you need to know how to tweak them for your own purpose.

Symfony is a php framework much like codeigniter(i use it), cake php, etc.
What it means is that your CMs would be built around this framework and it would be custom made using PHP as the programming language.

I agree that Drupal is more difficult to get into if you've never used a CMS. I started off with Joomla, which is very easy to use and when I noticed that the mods I was looking for weren't available for Joomla but were for Drupal, I decided to switch. It took me a couple of days to fully figure out Drupal but now I can do everything except for create custom mods myself; I don't want to waste time learning how to do that; I'd rather pay someone else if I need a custom mod. The only customization I've done so far is tweeking a theme to suit my needs.

One last point; you can easily install Drupal, Joomla, and some other content management systems through Fantastico, which is free and is accessible through most web hosts.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
Darkside, AJ, Arfa and Bond - Thank you for your advice.

Jarnapal - I couldn't really understand what you ment..

Andviv,

I've been recommending my customers to get started with a WP install, a few good plugins, and as little customization as needed, to test the concept and the business idea, do a quick deployment and test the market very fast and a low budget.

After the idea has been refined then you can/should jump to a more expensive, robust platform (like Joomla or Drupal) or, if needed, custom made.

If money/time is not an issue, or the idea is rock-solid then I recommend you go with joomla or drupal from the get-go.

Thanks. This is exactly what my plan is: to get the version 1.0 of the website up and running quickly and to test the concept.

I've messed around with Joomla today - and it seems to answer my needs.
So either Joomla or WP works for me.

Custome CMS is out of the equation.

alankong

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 21, 2011
New Jersey
I agree that Drupal is more difficult to get into if you've never used a CMS. I started off with Joomla, which is very easy to use and when I noticed that the mods I was looking for weren't available for Joomla but were for Drupal, I decided to switch. It took me a couple of days to fully figure out Drupal but now I can do everything except for create custom mods myself; I don't want to waste time learning how to do that; I'd rather pay someone else if I need a custom mod. The only customization I've done so far is tweeking a theme to suit my needs.

One last point; you can easily install Drupal, Joomla, and some other content management systems through Fantastico, which is free and is accessible through most web hosts.

thanks for the tip for Fantastico!

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
I don't like drupal and joomla. Having installed and used most of the CMS software out there, I came into conclusion that modx is probably the best of all.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.