The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ChickenHawk Intro - Where I Confess My Failures

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Hi Everyone, here's my intro...

I was a full-fledged Slowlaner until a few years ago, when I decided that working a regular job was highly overrated, not because I'm lazy, but due to its limitations -- a lack of control, flexibility, a relative ceiling on earning potential, etc. So, while (mostly) keeping my day job, I dove into side ventures. None of them gave me the results I wanted, and it took "The Millionaire Fastlane " book to help me understand where I went wrong.

Yes, they were all failures, but I've learned a lot, and by applying Fastlane Concepts from now on, I plan to avoid wasting any more of my precious time on endeavors that are doomed from the get-go.

My Failures So Far:

NOVELIST: I've written two full-length novels. My first novel secured me a big-name New York agent. But alas, the novel didn't sell, and the agent dropped me. I can't blame her. She literally has thousands of people seeking her representation. Dropping me was smart, because her time is in very hot demand. THE LESSON: Although Fastlane indicates that writing can be a good source of profitable income, it also points out that far too many people are "doing what they love." Unless you want to go the self-published route (which is a REAL challenge for fiction), any novel must first be "blessed" by a literary agent, a publisher, and finally the public. The odds are astronomical, the market is jam-packed, and the financial rewards are getting slimmer every day. These days, very few novelists can quit their day jobs. Plus, as MJ says in his book, doing what you love for money is a good way to end up hating it, which I did.

WEB PUBLISHER: I've developed several Web sites to make money from affiliate products, Adsense, etc. My success was very modest (a couple hundred bucks of passive income a month), but encouraging, until Google's Penguin update slaughtered me. THE LESSON: Don't put all your eggs in a basket controlled by someone else. Plus, as MJ says, it's better to OFFER an affiliate program than to sell someone else's.

BRICK & MORTAR ENTREPRENEUR: I opened up a small retail shop with a family member. I learned a lot, but I'd never do that again. It was a job in disguise, and not very profitable. It might've been scaleable if we'd put more effort in selling on the Web, but my partner had control certain aspects that made success impossible unless I was up for screaming matches in the back room. (Yes, it actually devolved into this.) THE LESSON: Don't waste time on a business that isn't scaleable. Don't think a brick & mortar job will free your life, or that a partnership is the answer. If you're going into business to control your own destiny, partnering with someone else is probably not the way to go.

REAL ESTATE: My husband and I flipped a few houses and enjoyed some modest success. We kept one of the houses as a rental for passive income. We may pick up another house as time/money allows. Hard to say...

WHERE i STAND NOW: I have a decent-paying day job. I'm thankful that it pays the mortgage, but loathe it for obvious reasons. I'm still obsessed with something different, and am excited about my current project, which is developing a line of weight-loss hypnosis CDs to be sold on the Web and perhaps at some expos. Unlike previous ventures, this project seems to meet all of the Fastlane criteria, and I have a unique marketing angle that I'm really excited about.

I've been reading the Fastlane Forum a lot and have picked up some great information, especially related to e-commerce, and couldn't be more grateful, so thanks, everyone, for being so generous with your time and expertise.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Drat! I just remembered another failure. Within the past year, a friend and I have (unsuccessfully thus far) tried to license two small inventions. Happily, reading this forum has given me some insight on things I'd do differently in the future. See, I'm getting smartererr every day.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Hello and WELCOME!

I am concerned with your terminology.

You ARE a writer so how about editing your posts at least in your head. Everywhere you put the word failure change it to experience.

Reread it to yourself and PLEASE when you go over things in your mind rewrite the dialogue(monologue) to MUCH more positive verbage.

BTW May I ask the origination of your forum name?

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Thanks so much for the welcome!

And you make an excellent point about the terminology. I learned a lot from every experience, and everything I did will be a big help in the future, even if it's knowing what NOT to do. Probably I phrased it that way, too, so other newbies could learn vicariously from the things I'd do differently. I'm good at learning from my own mistakes, but also love to learn from the mistakes and successes of others. This forum is a goldmine.

About ChickenHawk, the name is from that old Foghorn Leghorn character, that runt of a ChickenHawk. The little bird is determined to eat that giant chicken, even if the odds are slim. "You're a chicken, and I'm a chicken hawk, and I'm a gonna eat ya!" I can SO relate. The world is a big' ol chicken, and I want a bite out of it.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Unless you want to go the self-published route (which is a REAL challenge for fiction), any novel must first be "blessed" by a literary agent, a publisher, and finally the public.

I'm not very familiar with self-publishing, but why don't you just do it using Amazon's services as a start? Amazon.com : Self-Publish with Us

welcome to the forum!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Thanks so much for the welcome and the suggestion, Theag!

I looked into the Amazon service, and it might be a possibility in the future. The reason I'm not pursuing it now is because I'm not 100% sure I won't try the traditional route again (because the odds of success are much higher that way). And if that happens, I'd like to have these two books in reserve as follow-ups. Plus, self-publishing means you must self-market, which takes a ton of time, which I'm hoarding for my current project. Yes, I've officially become a time-hoarder. :)

I wouldn't rule out self-publishing though! To build on that, Kindle publishing is VERY appealing, especially for non-fiction. We live in Amazing times, that's for sure.

P.S. I love your icon. It reminds me of Monopoly, and I can't help but smile every time I look at it.

Ãœbertreffen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 17, 2012
Welcome to the forum!

The meaning behind your username is very unique. I like that!

I wouldn't necessarily call your past situations as failures. You're taking action and since you're out there doing something you are becoming stronger as a person. Focus on where your strengths are and do your due diligence prior to jumping on board. I would also be very careful with who you go in business with. Going in business with friends and family can become a major headache in the near future especially if there's not a mutual agreement on all business matters. If both parties don't have a good understanding that business is separate from personal relationship it's going to make the situation very unsettling.

Keep your head up and continue doing what you're doing. Keep us updated on your new project!

- Devin

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Thanks for your intro. I have seen you on the forum and am glad to know your background.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...