The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Change of Perspective . . .

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hi All,

I've spent the past 2 days doing some real soul searching.

Where my family is going, how the world is changing, etc.

And in particular, my actions/activities on these forums.

I'm hanging up my mod spurs for a while. Perhaps for good-- we'll see.

Everyone reacts differently to changing times/crises.

As a control freak, my natural tendency is to, well, try and hold the reins a bit tighter.

Not a good, or realistic solution, mind you. Just who I am.

Got so bad that I was badgering MJ about some of the conspiracy posts and negativism on these forums, and he, being the mensch that he is, posted the "lets stop the blame game" notice to try and address this.

By holding on too tightly, trying to keep the forums focused in a positive, proactive direction, I violated the rights of some members who, well, were not very positive, or proactive. With MJ's permission, I removed a challenge/disagreement that I felt detracted from the point of his notice. And I deleted a thread w/a cartoon that used the world "f*ck" (normally, I'd have just inserted the asterisk, but couldn't w/an image).

Looking at the surprised and negative reaction to this, from both mods and forum members, it became crystal clear to me that I was in the wrong. I was the problem here, not the negative posters.

My instincts as a mod have been to not have these forums turn into the mangled mess that we saw over at richdad. I fought there for years to have someone clean up things, to no avail.

So as a mod on these forums, I've quietly PM'd folks who broke the no spam/no religion/no politics/no "I'm a victim" guidelines. If they continued, I edited their posts, and explained why in the "reason for editing". I've done this for more than a year.

Again, I can see now that this was my own problem, not the other posters. I saw my edits/requests as a way to improve things.

While they might have for me, these changes didn't improve the forums, at least for others.

I need to learn how to live with negative viewpoints and people who are re-active instead of pro-active on these forums. And I need to accept, with grace, people whom I feel hurt the cameraderie of what we have here.

For a while, I saw these forums as an oasis to "get away" from the insanity of the rest of the world-- a place where like minded people worked together to come up with positive solutions to sticky financial problems and challenges.

I still think this is that kind of place.

But not everyone here has that kind of energy. And I will no longer fight or challenge those who don't see the value in positive/proactive solutions to problems/challenges.

Anyways, this is a long winded way of saying, I still love all of you, and will continue to share what's happening in our lives as we move forward.

But I will be doing it on different terms, with restraint, and with a different perspective.

And for the next few weeks, at least, I won't be around the fastlane very much, as I refocus my life energies onto more personal pursuits of positive, proactive activities.

My sincere apologies to all here who have been harmed, offended, or hurt by my actions. That was never my intent. :)

Best,

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Sorry to hear this, Russ. I can safely say that I've appreciated just about every post you've made on here (the rest of them I just never got to read).

I hope you continue to contribute here. The "positivity" you bring here is one of the main things that keeps me coming back. After constantly hearing the negativity caused by the economy and just people's lives in general, this site has been my escape. I've greatly appreciated the tone you've tried to set here, and I hope you continue to do so with your posts.

Thanks for everything, Russ.

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
I've greatly appreciated the tone you've tried to set here, and I hope you continue to do so with your posts.

I second that! Your posts were always thoughtful and inspiring for me, so I hope to profit from that a little further.

Russ, good luck with your inner re-adjustment.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hey Russ, that post you're mentioning was in the Fastlane Funnies section, which is a separate area, but it's all good. We're all here to live and learn from each other and you don't need to take a leave of absence. You've got a TON of speed rep and it's for a good reason; you post some of the best motivational threads we have. I hope you reconsider your break. I know we're all a team here. Lets keep it going!

I85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 22, 2008
Iowa
Hey Russ, that post you're mentioning was in the Fastlane Funnies section, which is a separate area, but it's all good. We're all here to live and learn from each other and you don't need to take a leave of absence. You've got a TON of speed rep and it's for a good reason; you post some of the best motivational threads we have. I hope you reconsider your break. I know we're all a team here. Lets keep it going!

I think a break from forums can be a good thing, they sure can suck you in :). Sounds like he may need one, and if so I bet it is a wise decision for him. Nothing wrong with doing what is best for you, your family and your future. He's gives plenty here...time to give back to himself.

Russ you are obviously a very valued member here, and I hope to see you back soon. GL on your personal pursuits, not that you need it. :cheers:

Starsky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 29, 2007
Hey Russ,
I completely agree, a break can be a good thing sometimes. I took a similar break the past few months from this forum and am now catching back up with things.. I didnt realize that things have became that negative here on the forums. Tis the season for political debates, however not on this board. Thats not why I come to this forum..

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Sorry to see you go Russ. You will be sincerely missed. Good luck to you and your family.:cheers:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Russ you are an integral part of this forum so please don't leave!!

I understand your decision to pull back and perhaps that will help the control issues ... your contributions here are vital and without them, the forum just won't be the same.

Thank you for all you've done. :)

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Russ,

...We are so alike in the control department. (As in, I will attempt to control everything, and if I can't, then I will control nothing...which is still a form of control! lol) ...Just keep in mind that it doesn't have to be all or nothing (I know you know this, but sometimes we all need to be reminded of it from time-to-time); sometimes finding that middle ground can really lead to personal growth.

You are a valued member of this forum, and things would be different here without you.

...I wish you well in whichever road you go down, just know that you would be missed terribly.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thanks for all the kind words. :)

I'm not leaving the fastlane forums-- I'm just hanging up my moderator's badge, at least for a little while.

And I'm taking some time to re-focus my energies.

I'm working on some intriguing exercises from 4 Day Work Week-- some of which ask you to radically cut certain things out of your life (like time spent online).

So while I'll still be visiting the forums, it's only going to be once every day or so, for a brief time, during the exercises. At least at first.

Sorry if my OP made it sound any different.

I'm not dead yet! :)

-Russ H.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs]YouTube - Monty Python-Bring out your dead![/ame]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.